Page 1 of 1
Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:30 pm
by Zentelis
Kate and I might be moving to a new house, soon.
My Stealth currently has no engine/transmission/axles/etc etc..the front end is an empty shell.
I hate the idea of wasting time putting it all back together just so it can be towed to the new house, just to be taken apart again.
So..are there any viable options for temporary rollers on the front frame so it can be flat-bedded over to the new place?
Will flat-bed towing companies even tow a car with no front wheels?
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:43 pm
by I am Me N U r U
why not just get a uhal tow dolly??
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:08 pm
by vroom4
[quote=""Zentelis""]Kate and I might be moving to a new house, soon.
My Stealth currently has no engine/transmission/axles/etc etc..the front end is an empty shell.
I hate the idea of wasting time putting it all back together just so it can be towed to the new house, just to be taken apart again.
So..are there any viable options for temporary rollers on the front frame so it can be flat-bedded over to the new place?
Will flat-bed towing companies even tow a car with no front wheels?[/quote]
Is the suspension on the front at all? I have a trailor if you want to engineer something up and arent going far.
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:30 pm
by Zentelis
[quote=""I am Me N U r U""]why not just get a uhal tow dolly??[/quote]
The car is in the garage front-first. I have no way of getting it out of the garage _at all_ without some kind of rollers

(bad planning on my part, i know, but at the time, i had no idea i would put this project on hold for this long)
Is the suspension on the front at all? I have a trailor if you want to engineer something up and arent going far.
Nope...the brakes are really just hanging. And, like i told Em, it's in the garage the wrong way

Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:32 pm
by vroom4
Do you have the strut, control arm, hub, wheels to put on it?
It wouldnt take too terribly long and it would make things 1000 times easier to move.
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:49 pm
by Zentelis
yeah, i've got all the parts, but i figured it wouldn't be possible to roll it on it's own wheels without the axles?
Would it be possible to roll it on it's own wheels without the engine/transmission?
<-car noob

Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:16 pm
by I am Me N U r U
just jack up the front, and pull it outside. I'm sure someone with a tow dolly can help you finagle the car around and make it work.
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:20 pm
by EvilNCarnate
As long as the hubs are there and bolted up you are good to slap some wheels on it and roll it. Just dont slip up like you did with the mopar. I remember your thread about moving it and it getting away from you.
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:52 pm
by TajMan
Putting wheels back on is easiest way I promise nothing else is easier/cheaper/safer if the goal is to transport it. Will roll fine with no axles/engine/etc.
(I say this because
I'd probably attempt to drag car out with front on garage jack, rig something up to tow on trailer, break something/take forever in process, etc...)
I had to buy 4 spare tires just to move my empty car to the backyard!
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:18 pm
by Silver
I'd just put the control arms and hub back on and roll it.
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:27 pm
by vroom4
[quote=""TajMan""]
(I say this because I'd probably attempt to drag car out with front on garage jack, rig something up to tow on trailer, break something/take forever in [/quote]
I would do the same thing. I was thinking a fridge dolly under the front tho.
Zent, if you really do want some help though, let me know, Id be glad to help.
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:36 am
by Wolf_Zero
As long as the steering rack is connected you won't have any issues just rolling it out on wheels.
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:20 am
by Monochrome
[quote=""EvilNCarnate""]As long as the hubs are there and bolted up you are good to slap some wheels on it and roll it. Just dont slip up like you did with the mopar. I remember your thread about moving it and it getting away from you.[/quote]
[quote=""TajMan""]Putting wheels back on is easiest way I promise nothing else is easier/cheaper/safer if the goal is to transport it. Will roll fine with no axles/engine/etc.
(I say this because
I'd probably attempt to drag car out with front on garage jack, rig something up to tow on trailer, break something/take forever in process, etc...)
I had to buy 4 spare tires just to move my empty car to the backyard![/quote]
You MUST put the axles back in the hub or else you'll be shopping for new wheel bearings. W/O the axle, too much weight is put on the bearing and it'll kill it (even if the vehicle doesn't move).
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:24 am
by TajMan
^smart man, I remember something like that now that I hear it.
so with axles in and no tranny, you'll have to wire them up out of the way so they can rotate and not bind up.
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:28 am
by Zentelis
[quote=""Monochrome""]You MUST put the axles back in the hub or else you'll be shopping for new wheel bearings. W/O the axle, too much weight is put on the bearing and it'll kill it (even if the vehicle doesn't move).[/quote]
what if i already need new wheel bearings?
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:53 am
by TajMan
If you're going to replace them(bearings) later before you ever really drive the car... then I guess it doesn't matter you can skip the axles to get the car rolling.
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:17 pm
by OBXboost
Since someone already brought it up....
what IS the deal with the mopar?
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:20 pm
by Zentelis
[quote=""OBXboost""]what
IS the deal with the mopar?[/quote]
Need $$$ and Time.
$$$: Wheels/tires. Wiring. Fuel Lines. Transmission Mount. Exhaust.
Time: Wiring. Gas Tank restoration. Paint prep/body work/painting

Since Kate and I are buying a house soon, I won't pour money into any of the cars right now.
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:13 pm
by Monochrome
[quote=""Zentelis""]what if i already need new wheel bearings?[/quote]
There's a risk they can still fall appart if there's any brut force applied (say the car bouncing on the trailer for instance). When that happens, your wheel comes off.