Rolling a Stealth with no engine.

If you're looking for a place to direct your vehicular thoughts, you've found it.

Moderator: Monochrome

Post Reply
User avatar
Zentelis
Posts: 7829
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:45 pm

Rolling a Stealth with no engine.

Post by Zentelis »

Kate and I might be moving to a new house, soon.
My Stealth currently has no engine/transmission/axles/etc etc..the front end is an empty shell.

I hate the idea of wasting time putting it all back together just so it can be towed to the new house, just to be taken apart again.

So..are there any viable options for temporary rollers on the front frame so it can be flat-bedded over to the new place?
Will flat-bed towing companies even tow a car with no front wheels?
I am Me N U r U
Posts: 6957
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:36 pm

Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.

Post by I am Me N U r U »

why not just get a uhal tow dolly??
User avatar
vroom4
Posts: 13751
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:40 pm
Location: JoePa Country

Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.

Post by vroom4 »

[quote=""Zentelis""]Kate and I might be moving to a new house, soon.
My Stealth currently has no engine/transmission/axles/etc etc..the front end is an empty shell.

I hate the idea of wasting time putting it all back together just so it can be towed to the new house, just to be taken apart again.

So..are there any viable options for temporary rollers on the front frame so it can be flat-bedded over to the new place?
Will flat-bed towing companies even tow a car with no front wheels?[/quote]

Is the suspension on the front at all? I have a trailor if you want to engineer something up and arent going far.
Image
User avatar
Zentelis
Posts: 7829
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:45 pm

Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.

Post by Zentelis »

[quote=""I am Me N U r U""]why not just get a uhal tow dolly??[/quote]

The car is in the garage front-first. I have no way of getting it out of the garage _at all_ without some kind of rollers :( (bad planning on my part, i know, but at the time, i had no idea i would put this project on hold for this long)
Is the suspension on the front at all? I have a trailor if you want to engineer something up and arent going far.
Nope...the brakes are really just hanging. And, like i told Em, it's in the garage the wrong way :(
User avatar
vroom4
Posts: 13751
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:40 pm
Location: JoePa Country

Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.

Post by vroom4 »

Do you have the strut, control arm, hub, wheels to put on it?

It wouldnt take too terribly long and it would make things 1000 times easier to move.
Image
User avatar
Zentelis
Posts: 7829
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:45 pm

Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.

Post by Zentelis »

yeah, i've got all the parts, but i figured it wouldn't be possible to roll it on it's own wheels without the axles?
Would it be possible to roll it on it's own wheels without the engine/transmission?

<-car noob :D
I am Me N U r U
Posts: 6957
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:36 pm

Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.

Post by I am Me N U r U »

just jack up the front, and pull it outside. I'm sure someone with a tow dolly can help you finagle the car around and make it work.
User avatar
EvilNCarnate
Posts: 7844
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:36 pm
Location: Springfield MO

Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.

Post by EvilNCarnate »

As long as the hubs are there and bolted up you are good to slap some wheels on it and roll it. Just dont slip up like you did with the mopar. I remember your thread about moving it and it getting away from you.
User avatar
TajMan
Posts: 8792
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:40 pm
Location: Salt Lake valley UT

Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.

Post by TajMan »

Putting wheels back on is easiest way I promise nothing else is easier/cheaper/safer if the goal is to transport it. Will roll fine with no axles/engine/etc.

(I say this because I'd probably attempt to drag car out with front on garage jack, rig something up to tow on trailer, break something/take forever in process, etc...) :p

I had to buy 4 spare tires just to move my empty car to the backyard!
Last edited by TajMan on Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-'79 Yamaha XS11 special, custom work in progress
-'93 Stealthubishi
Image
User avatar
Silver
Posts: 4602
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.

Post by Silver »

I'd just put the control arms and hub back on and roll it.
:d err:
User avatar
vroom4
Posts: 13751
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:40 pm
Location: JoePa Country

Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.

Post by vroom4 »

[quote=""TajMan""]

(I say this because I'd probably attempt to drag car out with front on garage jack, rig something up to tow on trailer, break something/take forever in [/quote]

I would do the same thing. I was thinking a fridge dolly under the front tho.

Zent, if you really do want some help though, let me know, Id be glad to help.
Image
User avatar
Wolf_Zero
Posts: 4876
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:29 pm

Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.

Post by Wolf_Zero »

As long as the steering rack is connected you won't have any issues just rolling it out on wheels.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions."
User avatar
Monochrome
Founding Members
Founding Members
Posts: 18264
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 pm
Location: NE Maryland
Contact:

Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.

Post by Monochrome »

[quote=""EvilNCarnate""]As long as the hubs are there and bolted up you are good to slap some wheels on it and roll it. Just dont slip up like you did with the mopar. I remember your thread about moving it and it getting away from you.[/quote]

[quote=""TajMan""]Putting wheels back on is easiest way I promise nothing else is easier/cheaper/safer if the goal is to transport it. Will roll fine with no axles/engine/etc.

(I say this because I'd probably attempt to drag car out with front on garage jack, rig something up to tow on trailer, break something/take forever in process, etc...) :p

I had to buy 4 spare tires just to move my empty car to the backyard![/quote]

You MUST put the axles back in the hub or else you'll be shopping for new wheel bearings. W/O the axle, too much weight is put on the bearing and it'll kill it (even if the vehicle doesn't move).
2020 Miata Club - BBS package
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold :(
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold :(

"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
User avatar
TajMan
Posts: 8792
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:40 pm
Location: Salt Lake valley UT

Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.

Post by TajMan »

^smart man, I remember something like that now that I hear it.

so with axles in and no tranny, you'll have to wire them up out of the way so they can rotate and not bind up.
-'79 Yamaha XS11 special, custom work in progress
-'93 Stealthubishi
Image
User avatar
Zentelis
Posts: 7829
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:45 pm

Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.

Post by Zentelis »

[quote=""Monochrome""]You MUST put the axles back in the hub or else you'll be shopping for new wheel bearings. W/O the axle, too much weight is put on the bearing and it'll kill it (even if the vehicle doesn't move).[/quote]

what if i already need new wheel bearings?
User avatar
TajMan
Posts: 8792
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:40 pm
Location: Salt Lake valley UT

Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.

Post by TajMan »

If you're going to replace them(bearings) later before you ever really drive the car... then I guess it doesn't matter you can skip the axles to get the car rolling.
-'79 Yamaha XS11 special, custom work in progress
-'93 Stealthubishi
Image
User avatar
OBXboost
Posts: 3922
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:29 pm

Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.

Post by OBXboost »

Since someone already brought it up....

what IS the deal with the mopar?
Game, Set, Match = Tennis
Set Match, Run = Arson
User avatar
Zentelis
Posts: 7829
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:45 pm

Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.

Post by Zentelis »

[quote=""OBXboost""]what IS the deal with the mopar?[/quote]
Need $$$ and Time.
$$$: Wheels/tires. Wiring. Fuel Lines. Transmission Mount. Exhaust.
Time: Wiring. Gas Tank restoration. Paint prep/body work/painting

:( Since Kate and I are buying a house soon, I won't pour money into any of the cars right now.
User avatar
Monochrome
Founding Members
Founding Members
Posts: 18264
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 pm
Location: NE Maryland
Contact:

Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.

Post by Monochrome »

[quote=""Zentelis""]what if i already need new wheel bearings?[/quote]

There's a risk they can still fall appart if there's any brut force applied (say the car bouncing on the trailer for instance). When that happens, your wheel comes off.
2020 Miata Club - BBS package
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold :(
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold :(

"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
Post Reply