Page 1 of 2

Who is familiar with Porsches?

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:43 pm
by Hannibalzero
How do they stack up as a daily driver. Specifically, how is the reliability to, say, a 14 year-old Stealth? :D What are the maintenance and parts costs like? I expect they will be somewhat higher than Mitsubishi's, but are they completely ridiculously high? Would a 3s back-yard mechanic be able to tackle one of these?

I have been thinking about either a 99-01 Carrera or a newer Boxter S. It seems that both can be had for under $30k. Also on my radar-screen is a used c5 coupe or z06. The vette would definitely be a much better bang for my buck, but hey, speed isn't everything. The porsche just screams "I'm a pretentious asshole." :)

Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:45 pm
by moffman93'
I have no idea. But i do know boxter's are chick cars :) . And suprisingly slow.

Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:47 pm
by Hannibalzero
Hence the "S" following the "Boxter." ;) Carrera would be my first choice though.

Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:50 pm
by Duck Vader
I know my old boss drove a Carrera as his daily driver. He owns a ton of cars and chose that for the fun and reliability factor.

Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:28 pm
by CHAN
Well lets see, My boxster is rarely driven, its more of a garage queen. I drive my cayenne whenever i need to pick up the groceries, but when i really want to play i bring out the carrera.

Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:47 pm
by alienviking
Boxster is a chick car for sure. Boxster S.. well better but every guy I have met driving one has been a complete "I am so much better than you" asshole who got the car from his dad. To me, the Boxster (with and without S) is a wannabe Porsche.

My best friend was looking at Boxsters among a few other cars and ended up with a BMW Z4 M. He loves the car and is very happy he didn't go for the Porsche.

Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:02 pm
by Hannibalzero
[quote=""alienviking""]Boxster is a chick car for sure. Boxster S.. well better but every guy I have met driving one has been a complete "I am so much better than you" asshole who got the car from his dad. To me, the Boxster (with and without S) is a wannabe Porsche.

My best friend was looking at Boxsters among a few other cars and ended up with a BMW Z4 M. He loves the car and is very happy he didn't go for the Porsche.[/quote]

The Z4 is nice. But honestly, I really prefer the looks of boxster and the performance of the 911 over it. I think the exotic-mystique of the 911 is part of the draw too. Its just screams hot-monkey-sex. The Boxster S is less impressive, but it gives me the option for something newer and hopefully more reliable.

Realistically, I will probably end up going for the c5 vette. Its just far more practical and cost-efficient than any of those kraut-mobiles. :)

Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:10 pm
by moffman93'
[quote=""Hannibalzero""] I think the exotic-mystique of the 911 is part of the draw too. Its just screams hot-monkey-sex.[/quote] cause when I want to buy a new car, I say to myself "which one screams, hot monkey sex the most". :lol:

Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:12 pm
by Hannibalzero
[quote=""moffman93'""]cause when I want to buy a new car, I say to myself "which one screams, hot monkey butt-sex the most". :lol: [/quote]

Fixed it for ya. ;)

Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:21 pm
by alienviking
[quote=""Hannibalzero""]The Z4 is nice. But honestly, I really prefer the looks of boxster and the performance of the 911 over it. I think the exotic-mystique of the 911 is part of the draw too. Its just screams hot-monkey-sex. The Boxster S is less impressive, but it gives me the option for something newer and hopefully more reliable.

Realistically, I will probably end up going for the c5 vette. Its just far more practical and cost-efficient than any of those kraut-mobiles. :) [/quote]

I can't stand the Boxster looks :) 911 is a bit of a different league though so can't really be compared. It is obviously a nicer car.

Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:32 am
by Macky
drove a new 997 turbo. its not a daily driver, but boy, was it fun. :D

Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:11 am
by Twin-Turbo
Man, it sucks that all of the older, smarter members of 3si are selling their cars and getting into new ones. I should have known that people are eventually going to switch, but damn.

Used 911 ftw.

Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:00 am
by Hannibalzero
[quote=""Twin-Turbo""]Man, it sucks that all of the older, smarter members of 3si are selling their cars and getting into new ones. I should have known that people are eventually going to switch, but damn.

Used 911 ftw.[/quote]

Who said anything about smarter? :suspect2:



In my case, I definitely won't be selling my TT Stealth. I just have too much blood, sweat, tears, money, and frustration tied up into that thing. I still love driving, I just don't know if I want to do it every day. With 170K on the clock, that's like playing Russian roulette.

Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:41 pm
by Alan92rttt
My father in law has the Boxter S. Seems reasonably quick and he drives it daily.

But, I know maintenance is expensive. I think he said is has a 10qt oil pan and major work is involved for things as simple as an oil change. I think he said he pays about $100 to get it done.

Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:46 pm
by TajMan
Parts cost is INSANE.

This is even speaking of an old 81 Porsche 924 turbo that was really designed by VW.

Little bosch fuel distributor? Over $1,000. Stock clutch kit? $700+ I can't remember.
Damn it was cool going into the Porsche dealer parts section to order stuff though. :D

Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:00 pm
by Hannibalzero
[quote=""TajMan""]Parts cost is INSANE.

This is even speaking of an old 81 Porsche 924 turbo that was really designed by VW.

Little bosch fuel distributor? Over $1,000. Stock clutch kit? $700+ I can't remember.
Damn it was cool going into the Porsche dealer parts section to order stuff though. :D [/quote]

That's what I was afraid of. I knew the Porsche would be more, but I was hoping that it would be not too much more expensive to maintain than my stealth. Given that, I'd probably be better off with the Vette.

What was it like working on the cars compared to a 3/S? Was it a complete pain in the ass?

Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:19 pm
by TajMan
924 Turbo used the 2.0L VW bottom end, Porsche head.

I rebuilt the turbo, changed clutch hydraulics, little odds and ends. For turbo things were kinda tight (slant 4 leaned over with the little space on the exhaust side) but besides that everything was pretty average/German.

Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:30 pm
by JagdStealth
Working on older Pcars is pretty easy, it's new ones that are designed pretty much like MBZ/BMW. They make it difficult to work on. They are reliable, but if you're planning on doing work yourself, it's not that easy and parts are far from cheap. On the other hand, GREAT parts for the C5 will cost pennies compared to what you're paying for 3/S stuff.

The Porsche is made to buy and leave stock unless you have a lot of money to blow.

Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:32 pm
by EricVR4
My friend has had two Carreras in the last 2 years and for the most part, he hasn't had any problems with them. The first one he had was an 03 convertible 6 speed. I think it was at the dealership a couple times just for little things; like rattling interior pieces and stuff like that, but nothing major. The one he has now is an 06 (maybe 07, can't remember) Carrera S....coupe, automatic. He's only had it for about 4 months and he's barely driven it, but he hasn't had any issues with it yet. He also didn't drive his 03 all that much, but it was still his only car.

And yes, parts are expensive as all hell for them. He's had extended warranties on both though.

And I really like the S he has. It's decently quick, the auto is nice, it has navigation and all that. I wouldn't buy one for the money, but I've just never been a huge Porsche guy. I do love the GT2s though :love:

Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:47 pm
by TajMan
[quote=""EricVR4""]I do love the GT2s though :love: [/quote]

Poster above my computer :d rool: