I have been thinking about either a 99-01 Carrera or a newer Boxter S. It seems that both can be had for under $30k. Also on my radar-screen is a used c5 coupe or z06. The vette would definitely be a much better bang for my buck, but hey, speed isn't everything. The porsche just screams "I'm a pretentious asshole."
Who is familiar with Porsches?
Moderator: Monochrome
- Hannibalzero
- Posts: 20379
- Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:14 pm
- Location: NoVA
- Contact:
Who is familiar with Porsches?
How do they stack up as a daily driver. Specifically, how is the reliability to, say, a 14 year-old Stealth?
What are the maintenance and parts costs like? I expect they will be somewhat higher than Mitsubishi's, but are they completely ridiculously high? Would a 3s back-yard mechanic be able to tackle one of these?
I have been thinking about either a 99-01 Carrera or a newer Boxter S. It seems that both can be had for under $30k. Also on my radar-screen is a used c5 coupe or z06. The vette would definitely be a much better bang for my buck, but hey, speed isn't everything. The porsche just screams "I'm a pretentious asshole."
I have been thinking about either a 99-01 Carrera or a newer Boxter S. It seems that both can be had for under $30k. Also on my radar-screen is a used c5 coupe or z06. The vette would definitely be a much better bang for my buck, but hey, speed isn't everything. The porsche just screams "I'm a pretentious asshole."
BAWC
Accept No Substitutes
Monochrome edited my sig. ....and it was good.Accept No Substitutes
- moffman93'
- Posts: 9787
- Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:51 pm
- Location: Long Island
Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?
I have no idea. But i do know boxter's are chick cars
. And suprisingly slow.
- Hannibalzero
- Posts: 20379
- Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:14 pm
- Location: NoVA
- Contact:
Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?
Hence the "S" following the "Boxter."
Carrera would be my first choice though.
BAWC
Accept No Substitutes
Monochrome edited my sig. ....and it was good.Accept No Substitutes
- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18820
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?
I know my old boss drove a Carrera as his daily driver. He owns a ton of cars and chose that for the fun and reliability factor.
Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?
Well lets see, My boxster is rarely driven, its more of a garage queen. I drive my cayenne whenever i need to pick up the groceries, but when i really want to play i bring out the carrera.
- alienviking
- Posts: 10707
- Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:41 pm
Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?
Boxster is a chick car for sure. Boxster S.. well better but every guy I have met driving one has been a complete "I am so much better than you" asshole who got the car from his dad. To me, the Boxster (with and without S) is a wannabe Porsche.
My best friend was looking at Boxsters among a few other cars and ended up with a BMW Z4 M. He loves the car and is very happy he didn't go for the Porsche.
My best friend was looking at Boxsters among a few other cars and ended up with a BMW Z4 M. He loves the car and is very happy he didn't go for the Porsche.
- Hannibalzero
- Posts: 20379
- Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:14 pm
- Location: NoVA
- Contact:
Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?
[quote=""alienviking""]Boxster is a chick car for sure. Boxster S.. well better but every guy I have met driving one has been a complete "I am so much better than you" asshole who got the car from his dad. To me, the Boxster (with and without S) is a wannabe Porsche.
My best friend was looking at Boxsters among a few other cars and ended up with a BMW Z4 M. He loves the car and is very happy he didn't go for the Porsche.[/quote]
The Z4 is nice. But honestly, I really prefer the looks of boxster and the performance of the 911 over it. I think the exotic-mystique of the 911 is part of the draw too. Its just screams hot-monkey-sex. The Boxster S is less impressive, but it gives me the option for something newer and hopefully more reliable.
Realistically, I will probably end up going for the c5 vette. Its just far more practical and cost-efficient than any of those kraut-mobiles.
My best friend was looking at Boxsters among a few other cars and ended up with a BMW Z4 M. He loves the car and is very happy he didn't go for the Porsche.[/quote]
The Z4 is nice. But honestly, I really prefer the looks of boxster and the performance of the 911 over it. I think the exotic-mystique of the 911 is part of the draw too. Its just screams hot-monkey-sex. The Boxster S is less impressive, but it gives me the option for something newer and hopefully more reliable.
Realistically, I will probably end up going for the c5 vette. Its just far more practical and cost-efficient than any of those kraut-mobiles.
Last edited by Hannibalzero on Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAWC
Accept No Substitutes
Monochrome edited my sig. ....and it was good.Accept No Substitutes
- moffman93'
- Posts: 9787
- Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:51 pm
- Location: Long Island
Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?
[quote=""Hannibalzero""] I think the exotic-mystique of the 911 is part of the draw too. Its just screams hot-monkey-sex.[/quote] cause when I want to buy a new car, I say to myself "which one screams, hot monkey sex the most". 
- Hannibalzero
- Posts: 20379
- Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:14 pm
- Location: NoVA
- Contact:
Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?
[quote=""moffman93'""]cause when I want to buy a new car, I say to myself "which one screams, hot monkey butt-sex the most".
[/quote]
Fixed it for ya.
Fixed it for ya.
BAWC
Accept No Substitutes
Monochrome edited my sig. ....and it was good.Accept No Substitutes
- alienviking
- Posts: 10707
- Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:41 pm
Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?
[quote=""Hannibalzero""]The Z4 is nice. But honestly, I really prefer the looks of boxster and the performance of the 911 over it. I think the exotic-mystique of the 911 is part of the draw too. Its just screams hot-monkey-sex. The Boxster S is less impressive, but it gives me the option for something newer and hopefully more reliable.
Realistically, I will probably end up going for the c5 vette. Its just far more practical and cost-efficient than any of those kraut-mobiles.
[/quote]
I can't stand the Boxster looks
911 is a bit of a different league though so can't really be compared. It is obviously a nicer car.
Realistically, I will probably end up going for the c5 vette. Its just far more practical and cost-efficient than any of those kraut-mobiles.
I can't stand the Boxster looks
Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?
drove a new 997 turbo. its not a daily driver, but boy, was it fun. 
Macky wrote:Trophy gf's are kind of like the Stanley Cup. You may have it now, but more than likely someone else will have it next year. Even if you were to get it back later, just think of all the random people who have kissed it since you had it last.

'13 Evolution MR
'12 Lancer Sportback
- Twin-Turbo
- Posts: 934
- Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:14 am
Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?
Man, it sucks that all of the older, smarter members of 3si are selling their cars and getting into new ones. I should have known that people are eventually going to switch, but damn.
Used 911 ftw.
Used 911 ftw.
- Hannibalzero
- Posts: 20379
- Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:14 pm
- Location: NoVA
- Contact:
Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?
[quote=""Twin-Turbo""]Man, it sucks that all of the older, smarter members of 3si are selling their cars and getting into new ones. I should have known that people are eventually going to switch, but damn.
Used 911 ftw.[/quote]
Who said anything about smarter? :suspect2:
In my case, I definitely won't be selling my TT Stealth. I just have too much blood, sweat, tears, money, and frustration tied up into that thing. I still love driving, I just don't know if I want to do it every day. With 170K on the clock, that's like playing Russian roulette.
Used 911 ftw.[/quote]
Who said anything about smarter? :suspect2:
In my case, I definitely won't be selling my TT Stealth. I just have too much blood, sweat, tears, money, and frustration tied up into that thing. I still love driving, I just don't know if I want to do it every day. With 170K on the clock, that's like playing Russian roulette.
Last edited by Hannibalzero on Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
BAWC
Accept No Substitutes
Monochrome edited my sig. ....and it was good.Accept No Substitutes
- Alan92rttt
- Posts: 5335
- Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:11 am
Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?
My father in law has the Boxter S. Seems reasonably quick and he drives it daily.
But, I know maintenance is expensive. I think he said is has a 10qt oil pan and major work is involved for things as simple as an oil change. I think he said he pays about $100 to get it done.
But, I know maintenance is expensive. I think he said is has a 10qt oil pan and major work is involved for things as simple as an oil change. I think he said he pays about $100 to get it done.
Last edited by Alan92rttt on Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?
Parts cost is INSANE.
This is even speaking of an old 81 Porsche 924 turbo that was really designed by VW.
Little bosch fuel distributor? Over $1,000. Stock clutch kit? $700+ I can't remember.
Damn it was cool going into the Porsche dealer parts section to order stuff though.
This is even speaking of an old 81 Porsche 924 turbo that was really designed by VW.
Little bosch fuel distributor? Over $1,000. Stock clutch kit? $700+ I can't remember.
Damn it was cool going into the Porsche dealer parts section to order stuff though.
-'79 Yamaha XS11 special, custom work in progress
-'93 Stealthubishi

-'93 Stealthubishi

- Hannibalzero
- Posts: 20379
- Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:14 pm
- Location: NoVA
- Contact:
Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?
[quote=""TajMan""]Parts cost is INSANE.
This is even speaking of an old 81 Porsche 924 turbo that was really designed by VW.
Little bosch fuel distributor? Over $1,000. Stock clutch kit? $700+ I can't remember.
Damn it was cool going into the Porsche dealer parts section to order stuff though.
[/quote]
That's what I was afraid of. I knew the Porsche would be more, but I was hoping that it would be not too much more expensive to maintain than my stealth. Given that, I'd probably be better off with the Vette.
What was it like working on the cars compared to a 3/S? Was it a complete pain in the ass?
This is even speaking of an old 81 Porsche 924 turbo that was really designed by VW.
Little bosch fuel distributor? Over $1,000. Stock clutch kit? $700+ I can't remember.
Damn it was cool going into the Porsche dealer parts section to order stuff though.
That's what I was afraid of. I knew the Porsche would be more, but I was hoping that it would be not too much more expensive to maintain than my stealth. Given that, I'd probably be better off with the Vette.
What was it like working on the cars compared to a 3/S? Was it a complete pain in the ass?
BAWC
Accept No Substitutes
Monochrome edited my sig. ....and it was good.Accept No Substitutes
Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?
924 Turbo used the 2.0L VW bottom end, Porsche head.
I rebuilt the turbo, changed clutch hydraulics, little odds and ends. For turbo things were kinda tight (slant 4 leaned over with the little space on the exhaust side) but besides that everything was pretty average/German.
I rebuilt the turbo, changed clutch hydraulics, little odds and ends. For turbo things were kinda tight (slant 4 leaned over with the little space on the exhaust side) but besides that everything was pretty average/German.
-'79 Yamaha XS11 special, custom work in progress
-'93 Stealthubishi

-'93 Stealthubishi

-
JagdStealth
- Posts: 11702
- Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:58 pm
- Location: San Diego, TEXAFORNIA!
Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?
Working on older Pcars is pretty easy, it's new ones that are designed pretty much like MBZ/BMW. They make it difficult to work on. They are reliable, but if you're planning on doing work yourself, it's not that easy and parts are far from cheap. On the other hand, GREAT parts for the C5 will cost pennies compared to what you're paying for 3/S stuff.
The Porsche is made to buy and leave stock unless you have a lot of money to blow.
The Porsche is made to buy and leave stock unless you have a lot of money to blow.
Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?
My friend has had two Carreras in the last 2 years and for the most part, he hasn't had any problems with them. The first one he had was an 03 convertible 6 speed. I think it was at the dealership a couple times just for little things; like rattling interior pieces and stuff like that, but nothing major. The one he has now is an 06 (maybe 07, can't remember) Carrera S....coupe, automatic. He's only had it for about 4 months and he's barely driven it, but he hasn't had any issues with it yet. He also didn't drive his 03 all that much, but it was still his only car.
And yes, parts are expensive as all hell for them. He's had extended warranties on both though.
And I really like the S he has. It's decently quick, the auto is nice, it has navigation and all that. I wouldn't buy one for the money, but I've just never been a huge Porsche guy. I do love the GT2s though
And yes, parts are expensive as all hell for them. He's had extended warranties on both though.
And I really like the S he has. It's decently quick, the auto is nice, it has navigation and all that. I wouldn't buy one for the money, but I've just never been a huge Porsche guy. I do love the GT2s though

Re: Who is familiar with Porsches?
[quote=""EricVR4""]I do love the GT2s though
[/quote]
Poster above my computer :d rool:
Poster above my computer :d rool:
-'79 Yamaha XS11 special, custom work in progress
-'93 Stealthubishi

-'93 Stealthubishi

