Page 1 of 2

Subaru experts

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:17 pm
by DCIV
Tell me good and bad about this year and vehicle. Pulease

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... =198712216


Coop

Re: Subaru experts

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:23 pm
by Duck Vader
I can't tell you anything other than I have been told to stay away for the turbos.

Re: Subaru experts

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:34 pm
by DCIV
But the turbos are the fun and why I want it. Why did they say to stay away from turbo?


Coop

Re: Subaru experts

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:36 pm
by Chris GTO TT
Because turbo 2.5 engine is known for cracked ring lands and expensive engine rebuilds. Your best Subaru bet is a flat 6 Outback, Legacy or Tribeca if you're into funky looking cars.

The 2.5 turbo can be a great car, but having a Subaru specialist inspect it and a compression/leak down test is basically mandatory before purchasing one.

Re: Subaru experts

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:45 pm
by Chris GTO TT

Re: Subaru experts

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:54 pm
by vr4
Avoid the turbos like the plague

Re: Subaru experts

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:18 pm
by DCIV
Grrrr. I don’t want the car for the looks. I want a fun turbo car that doesn’t look like the turbo car.


Coop

Re: Subaru experts

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:46 am
by vr4
[quote=""DCIV""]Grrrr. I don’t want the car for the looks. I want a fun turbo car that doesn’t look like the turbo car.


Coop[/quote]

Then don't buy a Subaru

Re: Subaru experts

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:13 am
by tabasco122
Do it.

Re: Subaru experts

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:14 pm
by mjannusch
Evo.

Re: Subaru experts

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:54 pm
by DCIV
Okay let’s at least narrow this down then.

IF I were ever to drop the money on a turbo Subaru, what mileage should I sell it by? Say I find a 25-40k mileage one. Are they good to 50k,60k,70k ext.

The thing is, I want the gas mileage of the 4 cyl but the fun when I want it.

Other than the Subaru the Ford Escape is really the only thing I’ve like.

The Mitsu evo just seems so high priced for what it is.


Coop

Re: Subaru experts

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:01 pm
by DCIV
It also seems harder to find non modified Mitsu evos than non modified forester xt’s. Lol.


Coop

Re: Subaru experts

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:18 pm
by Chris GTO TT
The 2.5 turbo isnt very fuel efficient at all. I averaged like 22mpg out of my Legacy. If you really want a turbo Subaru the 2.0DIT motor is much more reliable.

Re: Subaru experts

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:56 pm
by tabasco122
Just do the head gaskets when you get it as a precaution.

Re: Subaru experts

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:17 pm
by Jeff V.
Coop wrote:The thing is, I want the gas mileage of the 4 cyl but the fun when I want it.
2005-2007 MazdaSpeed 6. 2.3L turbo 4 and AWD.

Image

Re: Subaru experts

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:30 pm
by Chris GTO TT
He doesn't want one of those either, they have engine reliability problems worse than a turbo Subaru. I looked briefly before I bought my spec.B and there were many more alarming engine failure stories than there were for Subarus.

Re: Subaru experts

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:33 pm
by Duck Vader
Honestly can't think of a "cheap" and "reliable" used turbo car.

Maybe turbo diesels?

Re: Subaru experts

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:52 pm
by Jeff V.
Chris wrote:He doesn't want one of those either, they have engine reliability problems worse than a turbo Subaru. I looked briefly before I bought my spec.B and there were many more alarming engine failure stories than there were for Subarus.
Really? That's the same engine in Vira's CX-7, and it's been rock solid.

How many of those trouble prone cars were over boosted by ham fisted idiots?

Re: Subaru experts

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:57 pm
by DCIV
How’s the awd system of the Mazda? Another reason is the Subaru’s awd system is kick ass.

It doesn’t need to be “cheap” just not 20k either.


Coop

Re: Subaru experts

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:14 pm
by Jeff V.
If it's anything like what's in the CX-7, then it's an on demand system. It's FWD until there's a loss of traction.

We drove Vira's car back from Michigan once, and hit a horrible ice storm in Indiana. It was honestly the most scared I've ever been while driving. The car didn't miss a beat. She's just got basic all season tires on it too. With snow tires I suspect it'd be unstoppable in anything that didn't require true low range 4WD.

Shit...just buy a CX-7 :lol: My only complaint about it is the lazy transmission. But it's ok when you pop it into manual mode.