Page 1 of 1
Short throw shifter
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:58 am
by DCIV
So Ive never purchased a short throw shifter because way back when I first joined they were almost taboo. Saying they would ruin your syncros and wasnt designed for us....I have no idea if this is true...or if this is another 15g is the biggest turbo a 3/s can handle, type of thing.
My shifter has become very sloppy in the actual Long bushing the shifter lever bolts on too. Not the base or the cables those were replaced a long time ago. I have one of the 92, stock rat rod sized shifters. Are short throw shifters actually problematic or are they safe? Seattle short throw ones still the best?
Coop
Re: Short throw shifter
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:01 pm
by vr4
Spyder Bob's are/were the best around but good luck finding one
Re: Short throw shifter
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:04 pm
by stealthee
While I have had my fair share of destroying transmissions I have NEVER had a synchro issue and I had a short throw shifter in my car almost since I had bought it. It was a cheap 3kgtmotorsports shifter too. I still have it and I still plan on running it in the new car.
Most people are destroying synchros because of just not knowing how to properly drive/shift, improperly maintained/loose parts, and even running the wrong fluid.
Re: Short throw shifter
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:40 pm
by Chris GTO TT
I have one of the first iterations of the Seattle Short shifter sitting in a box at my parents house...
Re: Short throw shifter
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:27 pm
by DCIV
Did you not like it? Why did they get a bad wrap, whats the main difference in them?
Coop
Re: Short throw shifter
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:01 pm
by ChargerX3
Ive had several short throw shifters over my career. The one I like best had ball bearings and wasnt too short of a throw. Pretty sure its the Seattle Short Shifter. They dont hurt anything.
Re: Short throw shifter
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:45 pm
by Chris GTO TT
[quote=""DCIV""]Did you not like it? Why did they get a bad wrap, whats the main difference in them?
Coop[/quote]
I pulled it off before I sold my 3000GT. I liked it just fine, but it does increase effort. I had combined mine with the brass bushings at the end of the shift cables, it really tightened up the shifting.
Re: Short throw shifter
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:12 pm
by DCIV
I think mine has the solid base mounts for the shifter and then roller bearings in the ends of the cables. My trans has always had good shifts so I dont wanna ruin that but with this main bushing worn so bad its effecting gear entry and the 1st gens are HUGES. It would be nice to get something. I made a parts wanted thread so we will see.
Coop
Re: Short throw shifter
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:16 pm
by Jeff V.
You guys got any idea which one this is? I pulled it off a car at a junkyard.

Re: Short throw shifter
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:19 pm
by DCIV
Jeff, is the shifter length adjustable?
Coop
Re: Short throw shifter
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:50 pm
by ChargerX3
[quote=""Jeff V.""]You guys got any idea which one this is? I pulled it off a car at a junkyard.

[/quote]
Has potential but has some flaws. Those are some terrible welds on the bottom. Also the lower part is a square. The 3s part that mates to that is a round cup. That shifter would destroy that joint.
Re: Short throw shifter
Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:21 pm
by Chris95RT
[quote=""stealthee""]even running the wrong fluid.[/quote]
I thought we all agreed to not speak of the great synchromesh war of 2004-2008, we lost a lot of good men and trans' during that dark period.
Re: Short throw shifter
Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:54 pm
by DCIV
Hans had a bobs shifter that I bought off him. I had a spare base that I guess is a 6 speed base. Im gonna sandblast it, paint it, and get all ready. Anyone use any sort of oil or even non oil lubercation for the shifter movements?
Coop
Re: Short throw shifter
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:00 am
by TurboSinceBirth
I just sold a 5-speed stainless shifter, Bob's old design, back to him last month. He had one for his car but his two sons didn't so now he just needs one more of his original shifters. I have a Seattle roller bearing I plan to use if/when I swap one it. I'm doing a 5-speed swap so I will probably need a shorter shifter than the tall truck feel of some of the 5-speed shifters.
Re: Short throw shifter
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:31 am
by DCIV
Do I have to remove the center console to swap out bases?
Coop