Short throw shifter

If you're looking for a place to direct your vehicular thoughts, you've found it.

Moderator: Monochrome

Post Reply
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26790
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Short throw shifter

Post by DCIV »

So I’ve never purchased a short throw shifter because way back when I first joined they were almost taboo. Saying they would ruin your syncros and wasn’t designed for us....I have no idea if this is true...or if this is another 15g is the biggest turbo a 3/s can handle, type of thing.

My shifter has become very sloppy in the actual Long bushing the shifter lever bolts on too. Not the base or the cables those were replaced a long time ago. I have one of the 92, stock rat rod sized shifters. Are short throw shifters actually problematic or are they safe? Seattle short throw ones still the best?



Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
vr4
Posts: 14538
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:32 am
Location: WA
Contact:

Re: Short throw shifter

Post by vr4 »

Spyder Bob's are/were the best around but good luck finding one
DOGE
User avatar
stealthee
Posts: 5064
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:06 am
Location: SWPA
Contact:

Re: Short throw shifter

Post by stealthee »

While I have had my fair share of destroying transmissions I have NEVER had a synchro issue and I had a short throw shifter in my car almost since I had bought it. It was a cheap 3kgtmotorsports shifter too. I still have it and I still plan on running it in the new car.

Most people are destroying synchros because of just not knowing how to properly drive/shift, improperly maintained/loose parts, and even running the wrong fluid.
Image
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15950
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Short throw shifter

Post by Chris GTO TT »

I have one of the first iterations of the Seattle Short shifter sitting in a box at my parents house...
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26790
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Short throw shifter

Post by DCIV »

Did you not like it? Why did they get a bad wrap, what’s the main difference in them?


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
ChargerX3
Posts: 12490
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:51 pm
Location: Reno

Re: Short throw shifter

Post by ChargerX3 »

Ive had several short throw shifters over my career. The one I like best had ball bearings and wasnt too short of a throw. Pretty sure its the Seattle Short Shifter. They dont hurt anything.
Image
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15950
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Short throw shifter

Post by Chris GTO TT »

[quote=""DCIV""]Did you not like it? Why did they get a bad wrap, what’s the main difference in them?


Coop[/quote]

I pulled it off before I sold my 3000GT. I liked it just fine, but it does increase effort. I had combined mine with the brass bushings at the end of the shift cables, it really tightened up the shifting.
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26790
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Short throw shifter

Post by DCIV »

I think mine has the solid base mounts for the shifter and then roller bearings in the ends of the cables. My trans has always had good shifts so I don’t wanna ruin that but with this main bushing worn so bad it’s effecting gear entry and the 1st gens are HUGES. It would be nice to get something. I made a parts wanted thread so we will see.


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25426
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: Short throw shifter

Post by Jeff V. »

You guys got any idea which one this is? I pulled it off a car at a junkyard.

Image

Image
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26790
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Short throw shifter

Post by DCIV »

Jeff, is the shifter length adjustable?


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
ChargerX3
Posts: 12490
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:51 pm
Location: Reno

Re: Short throw shifter

Post by ChargerX3 »

[quote=""Jeff V.""]You guys got any idea which one this is? I pulled it off a car at a junkyard.

Image

Image[/quote]

Has potential but has some flaws. Those are some terrible welds on the bottom. Also the lower part is a square. The 3s part that mates to that is a round cup. That shifter would destroy that joint.
Image
User avatar
Chris95RT
Posts: 9449
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:37 am
Location: North Crackalacky
Contact:

Re: Short throw shifter

Post by Chris95RT »

[quote=""stealthee""]even running the wrong fluid.[/quote]

I thought we all agreed to not speak of the great synchromesh war of 2004-2008, we lost a lot of good men and trans' during that dark period.
Image
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young. -Ford
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26790
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Short throw shifter

Post by DCIV »

Hans had a bobs shifter that I bought off him. I had a spare base that I guess is a 6 speed base. I’m gonna sandblast it, paint it, and get all ready. Anyone use any sort of oil or even non oil lubercation for the shifter movements?


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
TurboSinceBirth
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:43 am

Re: Short throw shifter

Post by TurboSinceBirth »

I just sold a 5-speed stainless shifter, Bob's old design, back to him last month. He had one for his car but his two sons didn't so now he just needs one more of his original shifters. I have a Seattle roller bearing I plan to use if/when I swap one it. I'm doing a 5-speed swap so I will probably need a shorter shifter than the tall truck feel of some of the 5-speed shifters.
95 RT/TT Billet 20Ts :suspect:

Image
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26790
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Short throw shifter

Post by DCIV »

Do I have to remove the center console to swap out bases?


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
Post Reply