Page 1 of 12
Rear mount condensor
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:49 pm
by DCIV
I miss A/C....so badly that I am going to spend a couple hundred bucks getting it back. With a rear mounted condenser and dryer. I am going to see a old local guy (who has done ac for years) and see if he can hook me up with a smaller compressor, as mine would hit my exhaust dump. Then run what I need to the back of the car.
http://www.rayeveritt.com/
Here is a place to get such that I need. Line really isnt that expensive. Yes R134 will be, but I dont care. A/C is really keeping me from enjoying my car in the summer.
Thoughts? Comments? Any help is appreciated?
Coop
Re: Rear mount condensor
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:00 pm
by Jeff V.
Setting aside for a moment the significant fabrication challenges, how the heck are you going to get enough airflow across the condenser core?
Re: Rear mount condensor
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:04 pm
by DCIV
Fan if need be, plus the shear amount of R134 in the system should help. Yes there will be a good bit of fabrication that has to take place. But putting the stock a/c back on would require even basically new turbos or headers, and different intercooler pipes/core. Just not feasible.
Coop
Re: Rear mount condensor
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:48 pm
by DCIV
Re: Rear mount condensor
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:11 pm
by tabasco122
my solution is easier

Re: Rear mount condensor
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:27 pm
by DCIV
your solution will not work in the middle of the summer.
Coop
Re: Rear mount condensor
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:38 pm
by Chris95RT
My suggestion is also simpler.

Re: Rear mount condensor
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:26 pm
by tabasco122
[quote=""DCIV""]your solution will not work in the middle of the summer.
Coop[/quote]
Lol, says who? from all the research i have done, it works pretty damn well no matter what the temperature.
Re: Rear mount condensor
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:34 pm
by DCIV
you said it didnt work when it was plus 90 degrees I thought. I dont have access to ice every 4 hours either. I love the idea, would love it for a tent in the summer and hooked up to a battery.
Coop
Re: Rear mount condensor
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:38 pm
by tabasco122
well i used 90 degrees as an example, i didnt say it wouldnt work above that. I dont know how well it works, because i only have what ive read online, but i wouldnt knock it until i can actually test it. im working on it right now, and i wish i was finished because its hot as balls in the shed lol.
Re: Rear mount condensor
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:39 pm
by tabasco122
I was making a joke anyway, its not exactly a permanant solution.
Re: Rear mount condensor
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:41 pm
by DCIV
Yeah I love it. I might make one as it has great applications. I just want a real a/c for my car. I know its not going to be easy...but minus a custom bracket, mounting everything, and running making the electrical connections work. I dont know of what else would make it too difficult. I dont want to lose my rear crash bar but I would to put a condenser back there.
Coop
Re: Rear mount condensor
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:47 pm
by tabasco122
ill sell you mine for $300 at brg >_>
Re: Rear mount condensor
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:50 pm
by DCIV
your car?
j/king.
Coop
Re: Rear mount condensor
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:39 am
by DCIV
http://compare.ebay.com/like/2207619675 ... 602_325002
the GM r4 looks like it will actually be very small for my application. There are some others. I am just getting ideas to talk to the A/C guy about, so I dont sound like an idiot. Then once I get what I need I can call up that first website and they can get my a list of what I need with some measurements of mine.
I have a way of making things sound easier then what they are.
Coop
Re: Rear mount condensor
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:43 am
by DCIV
and yes you can get them with different belt type pulleys. Just wanted to state that before anyone got all upset.
Coop
Re: Rear mount condensor
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:45 am
by DCIV
I do see a problem with mounting. I need to mount it so that its to the side, GM mounts theirs kind of facing forward. I knew a custom mounting bracket would be needed anyways.
Coop
Re: Rear mount condensor
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:43 am
by DCIV
Ok talking this over with a friend...he made a good suggestion of using a smaller condenser and just putting it on the passenger side where the side mount IC was, as there is still a good bit of room. I like that idea too. Going to take the bumper off and take some measurements. Like I said, the lines are not expensive so thats not what I am worried about but keeping things as simple as possible is always a must.
Coop
Re: Rear mount condensor
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:33 am
by aaronatstate
You want to keep things simple, but want to rear mount an A/C condensor?

Re: Rear mount condensor
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:37 am
by Jeff V.
If you're really serious about reinventing the wheel, look into the C6R LeMans cars. They have rear mount AC for weight distribution purposes. Of course, they have a huge mesh condensor outlet cut into the rear of the car and NACA ducts all over to get air to the condensor in the first place...