Page 4 of 23

Re: 4G in a 3S!

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:21 pm
by tabasco122
[quote=""Jeff V.""]The cost + effort of the swap completely wipes out any cost or simplicity benefits you get from changing to a completely different engine.[/quote]

In your opinion. Why do people obsess about the vin numbers and your car was x out of x that had those options and shit? Because they want to be unique. Same principle, people do things like this because even though its a lot of work for similar performance or slightly less, its a unique swap.

Re: 4G in a 3S!

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:23 pm
by Jeff V.
Ryan wrote:Same principle, people do things like this because even though its a lot of work for similar performance or slightly less, its a unique swap.
That's fine. What's not fine is trying to invent reasons why it's 'better' or getting all confused or whiney when a whole lot of other people look at your swap and say "WTF".

Re: 4G in a 3S!

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:54 pm
by green-lantern
I baught the car used and it had all those things done to it. I had just taken the AWD off before pulling it out of storage last winter. I got a job that required my dirving 60 miles a day. I ran into huge problems with gas mileage (<20 mpg on the highway). It's nothing to get excited about. Just a series of belts that attached the front wheels to the back ones. As the front wheels turned, they pulled the back ones with it. I wish I would have had my camera then. Otherwise I'd show you what it looked like underneith the car.

As for the performance chip Do you know what a speed governor is? A performance chip is something that you can replace the speed govn'r with and not be limited by your speed. It also give you more horsepower, but worse gas mileage (of coarse). I know the 1st gen 3S did not have speed govn'rs. I belive they started puting them in many cars after 94.

How do the cars compare? If I had a RT Turbo I'd ask the same thing. BUT since I've only got a base, a Talon Turbo AWD is a suitable replacement. The two cars are a lot alike believe it or not. Not on the outside, but on the inside, they do share a few similarities.
:heehee:

What people can learn in 14 years

Re: 4G in a 3S!

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:16 pm
by tabasco122
hahah, thats awesome
now i want to look up mine.

Re: 4G in a 3S!

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:18 pm
by green-lantern
I know I have a few good ones lol

Re: 4G in a 3S!

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:25 pm
by tabasco122
http://www.3si.org/forum/f36/will-work-my-sohc-341878/

http://www.3si.org/forum/f41/possible-s ... re-356444/

http://www.3si.org/forum/f36/car-sounds ... ek-356904/

http://www.3si.org/forum/f12/few-proble ... gt-343205/

Damn, suprisingly i wasnt that much of a noob. I mean i was, but at least i was asking questions in a mostly grammatically correct way, and not really stupid ones either.

Re: 4G in a 3S!

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:57 pm
by vegasidol
[quote=""green-lantern""] :heehee:

What people can learn in 14 years[/quote]

Was about to paste that myself...

...Greg, you were joking, right?


:suspect:

Re: 4G in a 3S!

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:12 pm
by mjannusch
I still don't get the point of 4G6x in a 3/S. Easier to work on? Almost everything to work on is pretty damn similar. OK, you have two more cams. Big deal. Other than that, for the things you actually work on, both setups have pretty much the same stuff.

Lighter weight? Yeah, less power density too. It isn't like the 4G6x motor is indestructible - I've seen plenty of people turn them into spare parts. Nothing new there.

Auto trans? You can get the same trans for the 6G7x from Japan pretty easily.

I just really don't understand it. Seems like a big step backwards to me.

If someone figures out how to put a 6G75 in a 3/S, I'd seriously consider doing that in my Spyder.

Move forward, not backwards.

Re: 4G in a 3S!

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:16 pm
by vegasidol
More good noob ideas:
Hey everyone new here . here's my 92 stealth sohc na 5sp. Looking to turbo with 6sp turn rwd only.
:d err:

Re: 4G in a 3S!

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:19 pm
by green-lantern
[quote=""vegasidol""]More good noob ideas:



:d err:[/quote]

Seen that thread a few 100 times on 3si

Re: 4G in a 3S!

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:20 pm
by J-Groove
[quote=""Jeff V.""]As far as motivating my fat pig of a Spyder, the sensible thing to do with by the path John and Aaron and many others took. 15G/DR650/19T sized turbos, appropriate fuel, flash ECU, and a stock or lightly reinforced 6G72. It'd be cost effective, it'd work well, and it wouldn't be very difficult from a labor standpoint....[/quote]

Do it! All of my issues and build delays were due to the car's previous accident. The actual performance build was not that involved.

What I find surprising is how much ridicule I get from a couple of the members because of how simple the set up is. People will PM me for two reasons on my build.

Advice or critique.

I've been told everything from my FMIC is not large enough, to my evo 560 injectors will fail, to my turbos are shit. Meanwhile, those who critique have overly complicated builds that never seem to run right. Sure their builds look amazing on paper, but never produce in the real world.

Also, I have great access to Jester, when my tuner tells me something, I listen. I don't argue that such and such is better because the internet told me so. haha

-John

Re: 4G in a 3S!

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:23 pm
by vegasidol
[quote=""green-lantern""]Seen that thread a few 100 times on 3si[/quote]

Yet, still posted on the FB 3sgto page today...

Re: 4G in a 3S!

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:26 pm
by tabasco122
[quote=""AudibleSilence""]At least they don't tell you that your car is going to blow up for running a simple nitrous shot with ALL of the adequate safety features and fuel. :) [/quote]

WHO WOULD DO THAT >_>

Re: 4G in a 3S!

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:32 pm
by Jeff V.
John wrote:Do it!
If I get this stupid 75 idea out of my head, and if I can ever make up my mind about keeping the damn car, I'm going to spend a few days reading everything you and Aaron did. I am not going to fuck up this car like I did with my R/T.

Re: 4G in a 3S!

Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:35 pm
by tabasco122
[quote=""AudibleSilence""]People that spent less on their cars than I did on my tires mostly. Tons of Honda people....and a few Waxers on the Vette forums.[/quote]

i was kidding, i made a comment about it also lol.