Page 3 of 4

Re: Plasti-dip the Spyder?

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:59 pm
by DCIV
[quote=""aaronatstate""]Well, looks like my car will have to go for Dallas for a month sometime in the near future :lol: [/quote]

I'm with you. I want my black paint to look that good!


Coop

Re: Plasti-dip the Spyder?

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:26 pm
by J-Groove
Richard does amazing work.

The old saying, You can have fast, cheap, or quality. Pick two.

He is the Cheap and Quality option.

Yes, $2,500 is not cheap, but what he did was a $7,000 value, in that context it was cheap. :)

Here is another local car done by Richard. The car is dirty in the pics as it is during reassembly, but you can still see the work.

Image

Image

Image

Image



-John

Re: Plasti-dip the Spyder?

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:30 pm
by Jeff V.
The price is more than fair. If I was more certain about the car itself, I'd happily pay that much.

Re: Plasti-dip the Spyder?

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:33 pm
by J-Groove
Add on, PLEASE remember, he is a 4+ week turn around. This is NOT a quick option, that is why the price is so reasonable.

Richard had my car from 8/4/2013 - 10/8/2013 granted I knew mine was going to be longer before I handed it over to him. His daughter was home from college and wasn't going to be able to focus on the car for 3 weeks. Sp he was doing a little body work here and there.

-John

Re: Plasti-dip the Spyder?

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:37 pm
by Jeff V.
Ask him if he can do repairs on SMC (sheet molding compound). It's the same stuff the C5 and onward Corvettes are made of. We've got some pitting in our tonneau and a major surface crack in the center part of the roof. I'd also like to know if he's ok with a gutted frame. Parking brake only, and a stripped steering column. We'd probably have to have a discussion on how to handle the roof hydraulics.

This isn't something we'll be able to do any time soon. But it'd be nice to know if he was a one stop shop.

If we did go through with this, we'd probably see about dropping it off in late September and then let him keep it through the winter, at a minimum.

Re: Plasti-dip the Spyder?

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:37 pm
by J-Groove
[quote=""Jeff V.""]The price is more than fair. If I was more certain about the car itself, I'd happily pay that much.[/quote]

I see where you're coming from. If you were for sure keeping the car it would be a no brainer. But if you're wanting a flip, that is another story.

Get her painted and get her on collector car insurance. Cheaper insurance and if something did happen at least you would be money ahead vs. selling the car.

-John

Re: Plasti-dip the Spyder?

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:41 pm
by J-Groove
[quote=""Jeff V.""]Ask him if he can do repairs on SMC (sheet molding compound). It's the same stuff the C5 and onward Corvettes are made of. We've got some pitting in our tonneau and a major surface crack in the center part of the roof. I'd also like to know if he's ok with a gutted frame. Parking brake only, and a stripped steering column. We'd probably have to have a discussion on how to handle the roof hydraulics.

This isn't something we'll be able to do any time soon. But it'd be nice to know if he was a one stop shop.

If we did go through with this, we'd probably see about dropping it off in late September and then let him keep it through the winter, at a minimum.[/quote]

Just sent him a text.

Just to add to this thread, his name is Richard, 214 two88 seven179

-John

edit: He doesn't know off hand for the SMC, he will ask Mike (the body guy)

Re: Plasti-dip the Spyder?

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:39 pm
by vr4
For the quality of work that is dirt cheap.

I got quoted 3k (as an employee too) to respray my mustang here with me doing all prep and disassembly with no cut/buffing after.

I would be very tempted to drive to Texas for him to do it at that price

Re: Plasti-dip the Spyder?

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:57 pm
by J-Groove
We honestly keep telling him he needs to raise his prices. Even if he doubled his rate it would still be a good deal.

he says he won't until he can guarantee turnaround times.

-John

Re: Plasti-dip the Spyder?

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:19 pm
by aaronatstate
[quote=""Jeff V.""]I thought you had yours at least partially repainted a few years ago?[/quote]

I did back in 2007, full respray. It cost more than what John paid, and it is a worse paint job. It needs it again. There are a lot of little imperfections that I want taken care if :)

[quote=""J-Groove""]We honestly keep telling him he needs to raise his prices. Even if he doubled his rate it would still be a good deal.

he says he won't until he can guarantee turnaround times.

-John[/quote]

He can't till I have mine done :p

Re: Plasti-dip the Spyder?

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:44 am
by Chris GTO TT
Shit for that price I might bring the Miata down too lol

Re: Plasti-dip the Spyder?

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:47 am
by tabasco122
I think I would probably just go with a same color respray. The colors I want are expensive otherwise

Re: Plasti-dip the Spyder?

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:26 pm
by J-Groove
To go the other direction, there is a decent thread about Plastidiping a car on 3Si right now.

http://www.3si.org/forum/f1/plasti-dip- ... ly-661066/

Best incite from a newer member 3000gt3000gt, here is his plastidipped car.

Image

[quote=""3000gt3000gt""]
My word of advice: Don’t do it. Save up the $$ for a real paint job.
The job is a PITA to do yourself even if you have the right equipment. I even had ALL the right tools including the latest DYC gun to legit DYC RDS gallons.

The dip dries up too easily and clogs the gun and nozzle pretty fast.
If you are really set on doing this for a temporary thing, I’d take it to someone who can professionally do it.
Everything from masking to spraying to layering dip is rocket science even if you’ve painted cars before.

The only reason why I went with dipping my car is because I love the beautiful carcass red underneath, BUT COULD NOT stand getting pulled over so many times in less than 2 months of owning the car.
Red attracts cops pretty easily. Not to mention our red isn’t just red, it’s a bright, orange-red.

If the local Norcal meetup isn’t too far from now, I’ll bring the car and let you see it.
Otherwise, I might just peel it and have it vinyl wrapped in 3M.

BTW, I’m selling the official DYC spray gun if you want it. Used once for the dip job you see in my sig. Don’t ever think I’ll use it again.

One thing I forgot to mention: Never work on your car then touch the dip. Dirt and grime/smudge will NEVER COME OFF.

It shows up worse on a white dip job.

And careful, when you pump your gas. Gasoline and dip does not mix. It will eat your dip. (happened to me and it was pathetic)[/quote]

Re: Plasti-dip the Spyder?

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:34 pm
by Jeff V.
It will eat your dip.
:yum:

Image

Re: Plasti-dip the Spyder?

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:39 pm
by vegasidol
I was loving that silver...until I read his experience.

Maybe we should just save our money and have Johns guy do it sooner than later...

Re: Plasti-dip the Spyder?

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:40 pm
by Darkhelmet
my dip guy has done several cars and they came out great.

Re: Plasti-dip the Spyder?

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:48 pm
by Jeff V.
Right. Your dip guy. Virtually anything is a lot easier when all you have to do is sign a check. :lol:

Vira's idea was for her and I do this ourselves. It sounds like an expensive pain in the ass, just like I thought. It also doesn't hold up well. Given how I work on cars, I could see 'orange' turning into 'dirty orange' very quickly.

No thanks.

Re: Plasti-dip the Spyder?

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:49 pm
by tabasco122
there is a special cleaner that you can use for dipped cars, i wonder if he used that or regular soap and water.

Re: Plasti-dip the Spyder?

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:11 pm
by ChargerX3
Hey my thread!

Re: Plasti-dip the Spyder?

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:28 pm
by Darkhelmet
[quote=""tabasco122""]there is a special cleaner that you can use for dipped cars, i wonder if he used that or regular soap and water.[/quote]

it doesnt work that great on my wheels lol