The Audi thread

If you're looking for a place to direct your vehicular thoughts, you've found it.

Moderator: Monochrome

Post Reply
User avatar
Duck Vader
Posts: 18817
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am

Re: The Audi thread

Post by Duck Vader »

[quote=""Jeff V.""] This was WAY more of a pain in the ass than it should have been...[/quote]

I think this post from awhile back pretty much sums up this entire thread.
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15948
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: The Audi thread

Post by Chris GTO TT »

And I've spent the last half hour looking at V10 Touaregs :runaway:
User avatar
vr4
Posts: 14536
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:32 am
Location: WA
Contact:

Re: The Audi thread

Post by vr4 »

[quote=""Chris GTO TT""]And I've spent the last half hour looking at V10 Touaregs :runaway: [/quote]

I checked every day for CTTs and c6zs
DOGE
User avatar
vr4
Posts: 14536
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:32 am
Location: WA
Contact:

Re: The Audi thread

Post by vr4 »

[quote=""Jeff V.""]Which one of us keeps saying he wants a Porsche Cayenne? AKA VW Touareg, AKA Audi Q7.[/quote]



Fwiw that comment wasn't directed at you. Just in general I have a few people that ask me and go against my recommendations. They then bitch about how shitty and expensive their new car is.


Sometimes I just wanna choke a bitch
DOGE
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15948
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: The Audi thread

Post by Chris GTO TT »

My problem is I want something functional and interesting without having the reliability of a Yugo. I realize many of the interesting cars I like are a terrible idea but I still kind of want them. I've owned a Starion, 3000GT VR-4, Legacy spec.B all eccentric cars. Even my normal cars were somewhat eccentric, manual 20th Anniversary Edition Maxima, V8 Explorer and functionally low Miatas. I even convinced my now wife to buy a Legacy 2.5GT Wagon.
User avatar
vr4
Posts: 14536
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:32 am
Location: WA
Contact:

Re: The Audi thread

Post by vr4 »

[quote=""Chris GTO TT""]My problem is I want something functional and interesting without having the reliability of a Yugo. I realize many of the interesting cars I like are a terrible idea but I still kind of want them. I've owned a Starion, 3000GT VR-4, Legacy spec.B all eccentric cars. Even my normal cars were somewhat eccentric, manual 20th Anniversary Edition Maxima, V8 Explorer and functionally low Miatas. I even convinced my now wife to buy a Legacy 2.5GT Wagon.[/quote]

I feel ya on that. Really every issue my first vr4 had was my own damn fault. My 200k mile 01 explorer has had not one mechanical failure even though everyone says they're terrible. ( Yes it has had neglect and mileage related failures. Timing cover gasket, ball joints, ac compressor, radiator)

CTT is supposed to be a good truck. Yes very expensive to maintain if you're paying someone to do it. Common failures are the front driveline, suspension compressor (cheaply and easily repaired with vw parts), and ignition coils (expected expense. I get them fairly cheap anyways).
DOGE
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26786
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: The Audi thread

Post by DCIV »

[quote=""Chris GTO TT""]My problem is I want something functional and interesting without having the reliability of a Yugo. I realize many of the interesting cars I like are a terrible idea but I still kind of want them. I've owned a Starion, 3000GT VR-4, Legacy spec.B all eccentric cars. Even my normal cars were somewhat eccentric, manual 20th Anniversary Edition Maxima, V8 Explorer and functionally low Miatas. I even convinced my now wife to buy a Legacy 2.5GT Wagon.[/quote]

I think we all fall into this category. I know I do!!!!! I think the main thing we all should think is that we all still need reliable daily drivers. Get the crazy vehicle...once you have a reliable daily.

Anyways, too much Audi work, not enough pick up work! Focus!


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: The Audi thread

Post by Jeff V. »

Yeah. I need to get this truck moving again.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: The Audi thread

Post by Jeff V. »

This is my life :lol:

Image

Anyway, here's what failed. I have no idea how this got through quality control, but there was less than 1/8" of actual weld penetration on one side of the hinge. Somehow it still held up for 10 years.

Image

The back side of the hinge was fine, but once the front weld failed, the back side wasn't able to hold up for long. The arm broke off the hinge pivot while I was removing the assembly. If I had opened and closed it another time or two, the whole thing would have completely failed.

I slapped an ugly weld on it, then ground it down so it was less ugly. It's buried under a bunch of trim, so there's no way to see it when the trunk trim is installed. It's solid enough that I can rock the whole car. The paint is drying overnight. It should all be buttoned back up tomorrow.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
mjannusch
Posts: 4540
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 8:00 pm
Location: Hudson, WI

Re: The Audi thread

Post by mjannusch »

Looks like the powder coating was holding it together more than the weld. lol...
-Matt
'21 Corvette Stingray HTC Z51
'95 3000GT Spyder VR4 (11.838@117.56)
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: The Audi thread

Post by Jeff V. »

You're not far off :lol: It was as much paint as it was weld.

I got all the hardware installed and re-aligned today. It's good and solid. I'll wait a few days before I put all the pesky trunk trim back in, just in case.

The next owner will never even know it happened :D
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15948
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: The Audi thread

Post by Chris GTO TT »

I so love that color still!

Also I could put down a better weld than the stock one blindfolded :lol:
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: The Audi thread

Post by Jeff V. »

I almost did it blindfolded. My auto darkening helmet wasn't working, and I get it clamped in a vice on the floor. My garage is a disaster right now thanks to having the truck blown apart. Even in better times, I don't have a good work space where I'd be comfortable having hot welding slag flying away from. I pulled the car outside and did my welding in the empty spot.

It's going to be really interesting when I start adding stuff to the engine bay in the truck. :o hnoes:
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
Post Reply