Dash Cams

If you're looking for a place to direct your vehicular thoughts, you've found it.

Moderator: Monochrome

Post Reply
User avatar
Duck Vader
Posts: 18821
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am

Dash Cams

Post by Duck Vader »

I have been debating for some time now on getting a dash cam. I see quite a few accidents going to/from the gym and like the idea of getting things on camera in case I get involved in an accident or something. Problem is, I don't know much about them.

Anyone have one they can recommend?

I think I would like one that loop records, and maybe has both a front and rear cameras?

I don't want to spend too much on one.
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25427
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: Dash Cams

Post by Jeff V. »

About all I know off the top of my head is that you want something with a capacitor rather than a battery. Reason being, the batteries don't do well with the high temps inside a parked car and can fail or even explode.

Maybe high end cameras are better, but it's still not a risk I'd take.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26791
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Dash Cams

Post by DCIV »

I have a battery eliminator for my GoPro. It goes to a cig lighter and then you can put a script on the card to start up and record, then a script that when the card fills up it erases the earliest footage and records the most recent.

You can do this with hero 3's and everything is cheap. I would just suggest a perminate mount as the suction cups will fail after multiple hot and cold car environment.


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
Silver
Posts: 4602
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Dash Cams

Post by Silver »

I had thought of getting a camera for the truck, but I wanted it for traffic stops. I need it to be able to instantly upload video to the cloud though or it'd be worthless.
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25427
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: Dash Cams

Post by Jeff V. »

Devin wrote:I had thought of getting a camera for the truck, but I wanted it for traffic stops. I need it to be able to instantly upload video to the cloud though or it'd be worthless.
Wow. That's....really shitty. :(
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
vegasidol
Founding Members
Founding Members
Posts: 21751
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:52 am
Location: KCMO

Re: Dash Cams

Post by vegasidol »

[quote=""Jeff V.""]Wow. That's....really shitty. :( [/quote]

Shitty that cops feel like they can take your camera and delete your stuff? Yeah. It is shitty. :ick:
Image
Whenever you use forceful and overt verbal persuasion to try to convince others to see things your way, they're probably not listening to what you say, Instead they're looking for every error in you your logic and mistakes in your facts, all the while constructing counterarguments. Worse still, they don't merely believe you're wrong; they need you to be wrong in order to protect the status quo. And since the final judge exists in their own head, you lose every time. - The Influencer
Is the level of bullshit you have to go through to change things in a direction you want, less than than or equal than the level of current bullshit?
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25427
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: Dash Cams

Post by Jeff V. »

Shitty that he needs one for that reason at all.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
BATMAN
Posts: 511
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:00 am
Location: Gotham

Re: Dash Cams

Post by BATMAN »

We have drive cam in our fleets. It goes off on hard braking, rough bumps(which is more often than you think).

WM is super big in safety. I don't have a problem with it. It has actually gotten me to slow down on texting and driving in my personal vehicle.
It just uses power from our truck batteries.
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25427
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: Dash Cams

Post by Jeff V. »

The one in your truck should be the BatCam :p
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26791
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Dash Cams

Post by DCIV »

[quote=""Silver""]I had thought of getting a camera for the truck, but I wanted it for traffic stops. I need it to be able to instantly upload video to the cloud though or it'd be worthless.[/quote]

Pretty sure there are cameras that do this. They use your cell phone hot spot and you can turn them on and off as wanted.


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
Silver
Posts: 4602
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Dash Cams

Post by Silver »

Awesome. That last chick that live streamed her boyfriend being shot to facebook got screwed when FB deleted the vid. I'd rather have it stored on the cloud, or somewhere else a third party won't be able to delete it.
User avatar
tabasco122
Posts: 18123
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:57 pm
Location: Houma, LA
Contact:

Re: Dash Cams

Post by tabasco122 »

there is actually an app, i think its the aclu, that will stream straight to the cloud, so if its interrupted its still saved.
scat1zzi
12:12 am: if the phone charger is a penis, and the chargy bit inside the phone is the vagina, i made my phones vagina prolapse on itself and cause catastrophic failure

[quote=""Seraflame""]Fear has nothing to do with it. It's a simple equation.

Is the shen I'm about to pull and the laughs that ensue = to or > the payback my wife is likely to impose? If yes. Shens. If no. Shens.[/quote]
 Click to show spoiler

User avatar
tabasco122
Posts: 18123
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:57 pm
Location: Houma, LA
Contact:

Re: Dash Cams

Post by tabasco122 »

but for dash cam, check out the a118 on amazon, pretty much the best bang for buck. they make hardwire kits for them as well.

If you want high end, then blackvue makes some of the best stuff.
scat1zzi
12:12 am: if the phone charger is a penis, and the chargy bit inside the phone is the vagina, i made my phones vagina prolapse on itself and cause catastrophic failure

[quote=""Seraflame""]Fear has nothing to do with it. It's a simple equation.

Is the shen I'm about to pull and the laughs that ensue = to or > the payback my wife is likely to impose? If yes. Shens. If no. Shens.[/quote]
 Click to show spoiler

User avatar
Duck Vader
Posts: 18821
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am

Re: Dash Cams

Post by Duck Vader »

Thinking about trying this one out.

https://smile.amazon.com/V1P-Dashboard- ... op?ie=UTF8
User avatar
J-Groove
Posts: 9898
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:10 pm
Location: Rowlett Texas

Re: Dash Cams

Post by J-Groove »

That unit looks good. In for a review.

-John
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26791
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Dash Cams

Post by DCIV »

Only thing I didn't like was it saying remove when at parking lots because if heat.

that will become a pain in the ass.


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
Duck Vader
Posts: 18821
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am

Re: Dash Cams

Post by Duck Vader »

I am going to keep researching and seeing what I can find before making the decision on one for sure. I really like the idea of one with both front and rear facing cameras.
User avatar
Duck Vader
Posts: 18821
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am

Re: Dash Cams

Post by Duck Vader »

So this is the one I ended up getting:

https://smile.amazon.com/V1P-Dashboard- ... +FHD+1080p

Here are some videos from the other day:

Front Day - https://youtu.be/4t_Z-0Lpyhw

Front Night - https://youtu.be/0hnsd4YwW3g

Rear Day with rainy on/off weather and dirty rear window - https://youtu.be/gBOwG0_Ierg

Rear Night in rainy/wet roads with dirty window and road spray - https://youtu.be/JnTrcLxcDIE

I will have to see the quality of the rear with a dry day and clean glass. Front isn't bad. Does what it needs to do and it was really easy to install/set up.
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26791
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Dash Cams

Post by DCIV »

Glad you went with something. I've been tempted to have one where I live because it's amazing how no one will drive on their side of the road. I want to video them and then make a YouTube channel and post the bad drivers.


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
Post Reply