Page 1 of 1
Synthetic vs dino
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:55 pm
by klinenator
How come every time i go to get my oil changed and i ask them to use synthetic they always ask me if iv been using synthetic and if i havent that i should use regular oil.
Re: Synthetic vs dino
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:13 pm
by Jeremy C
There's some old wives tales that say if you used regular oil for years and switch to synthetic that it will "wash" away oil deposits that were blocking leaks.
This is an unfounded rumor and full of stinky bullshit. I've done the switch multiple times (my SL had over 120K when I switched) on each vehicle I have owned, and not once have I had oil leakage problems.
Re: Synthetic vs dino
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:15 pm
by klinenator
I hate stupid people. I told him that synthetic would be fine and that i prefer it but he pretty much didnt let me switch. He also said eclipses are notorious for burning oil and mine hasnt burnt any at all since iv had it.
Re: Synthetic vs dino
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:23 pm
by vr4
[quote=""Jeremy C""]There's some old wives tales that say if you used regular oil for years and switch to synthetic that it will "wash" away oil deposits that were blocking leaks.
This is an unfounded rumor and full of stinky bullshit. I've done the switch multiple times (my SL had over 120K when I switched) on each vehicle I have owned, and not once have I had oil leakage problems.[/quote]
dont forget that you cant switch back to dino after running synthetic

Re: Synthetic vs dino
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:24 pm
by moffman93'
I have a solution for you. Change your own dam oil

Re: Synthetic vs dino
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:25 pm
by vr4
[quote=""moffman93'""]I have a solution for you. Change your own dam
n oil

[/quote]
fixt
Re: Synthetic vs dino
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:25 pm
by klinenator
I would have BUT this one was free because they overcharged me for stuff. And it was cold as hell outside.
Re: Synthetic vs dino
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:05 pm
by i3igpete
[quote=""klinenator""]I hate stupid people. I told him that synthetic would be fine and that i prefer it but he pretty much didnt let me switch.[/quote]
what the hell kind of lube place are you going to? never heard of that.
Re: Synthetic vs dino
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:20 pm
by vr4
[quote=""i3igpete""]what the hell kind of lube place are you going to? never heard of that.[/quote]
considering it was free oil change theyre gonna try to get out as cheap as possible. no synthetic for J00!
Re: Synthetic vs dino
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:20 pm
by Wolf_Zero
If I remember correctly in all the oil threads I've seen/read. Switching to synthetic can initially cause oil leaks because synthetic oils use different additives/etc. to swell the seals and prevent leaks. I think it was also has to do with just the general age/condition of the seals as well. I could certainly be wrong, but that's what I recall.
Re: Synthetic vs dino
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:31 pm
by JagdStealth
[quote=""Wolf_Zero""]If I remember correctly in all the oil threads I've seen/read. Switching to synthetic can initially cause oil leaks because synthetic oils use different additives/etc. to swell the seals and prevent leaks. I think it was also has to do with just the general age/condition of the seals as well. I could certainly be wrong, but that's what I recall.[/quote]
Bingo! Synthetic won't swell seals like dino oil does. It's not really a big issue unless the car hasn't been taken care of.
It's not an old-wives tale at all. You're not likely to get any external leaks, but the car may burn a little more oil or a little more will seep through the valve seals...not a big deal.