Page 1 of 2
Who knows their alternators?
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:46 pm
by vegasidol
My alt went out on my VR4 the other night. Sure enough, despite the 15* weather, my dad took went and took it out last night
cause he was curious.
Now hes got it apart on his work bench at work and wants me to find out what you guys know about the diodes and the volt regulator.
Replaceable? Where can you get parts. BTW, he is an electrician, and despite the fact that I can get a used one for all of $3 from a local guy
he still want to know if he can rebuild it.
Thats my dad.

Re: Who knows their alternators?
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:01 pm
by EvilNCarnate
Considering most of the ones you get from the auto parts places are remans the answer would be yes. Most auto parts places can typically source rebuild kits as well. I remember reading about rebuilding ours but I cant remember where...
And before I hit post I searched.....
http://www.stealth316.com/2-alt-rebuild.htm
Re: Who knows their alternators?
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:03 pm
by JagdStealth
Brushes are one common thing to go out in alternators, they are worn out to the point where they don't make much contact anymore.
I've never taken apart an alternator on a car as new as the 3/S though, only older Chevy and Dodge...i would imagine they are similar.
Basically you would want to replace the brushes, voltage regulator, and the rectifier. These are the only easy, user replaceable parts. The numbers stamped on them usually dictate what you can use as replacement parts.
The bearings inside need to be solid and not worn out though, otherwise it'll just fail again real quick.
Sorry I can't give any specific info on the parts themselves, but you can probably find replacements online or at any electrical supply store...maybe even Radio Shack.
Re: Who knows their alternators?
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:05 pm
by JagdStealth
looks like stealth316 has all you need!
Re: Who knows their alternators?
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:05 pm
by Zentelis
cool, thanks for the link!
Maybe I'll try rebuilding mine instead (both of 'em are crapped out)..i wonder if those parts are still available.
Re: Who knows their alternators?
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:31 pm
by vegasidol
[quote=""EvilNCarnate""]Considering most of the ones you get from the auto parts places are remans the answer would be yes. Most auto parts places can typically source rebuild kits as well. I remember reading about rebuilding ours but I cant remember where...
And before I hit post I searched.....
http://www.stealth316.com/2-alt-rebuild.htm[/quote]
Righhhht...'search'. Right. I'm still a newb. :d oh:
The brushes and bearings are fine, so he was trying to figure out what else wears/needs replacement/could be tested. I'll look into a current source for the regulator and rectifier.
Thanks again, Chris.

Re: Who knows their alternators?
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:29 pm
by EvilNCarnate
[quote=""vegasidol""]Righhhht...'search'. Right. I'm still a newb. :d oh:
The brushes and bearings are fine, so he was trying to figure out what else wears/needs replacement/could be tested. I'll look into a current source for the regulator and rectifier.
Thanks again, Chris.

[/quote]
Welcome. I wasnt saying you should search by the way, just figured it would be quicker for me to find it.
Re: Who knows their alternators?
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:10 am
by vr4
buy the used 1 and let him mess with yours.
Re: Who knows their alternators?
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:37 pm
by Mychal1216km
If you put it back together, a local auto parts store might be able to put it on a machine to tell whats wrong....that's what I did before I had mine rebuilt.
Re: Who knows their alternators?
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:22 am
by Monochrome
I've never had good luck with rebuilt alternators. Seems either they're never as powerful as factory, or the bearings on them wear-out prematurely...
Re: Who knows their alternators?
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:30 am
by vr4
[quote=""Monochrome""]I've never had good luck with rebuilt alternators. Seems either they're never as powerful as factory, or the bearings on them wear-out prematurely...[/quote]
put 3 remans on my old s10. after the 3rd i went to the junkyard and never had to replace that 1 again.
Re: Who knows their alternators?
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:54 am
by vegasidol
So the car is back together again...on the road.
Funny thing is...I knew I had two (or three) alts laying around already, but I thought they were NAs-90 amp models. But learned something new AFTER I acquired another TT alt. The base NAs are 90 ampers, and the SL/TT ones are 110amps. Imagine my surprise when I found that I already had 2 extra 110amp ones, and one 'mystery' (non-labeled) one already.
Good thing I got the newest alt for a case of Boulevard Beer.
Hope it holds... :crossesfingers:
Re: Who knows their alternators?
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:59 pm
by GTO Assassin
I just ordered my new alt from Mitsu direct. I can't wait for boost.
Scooty
Re: Who knows their alternators?
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:41 pm
by DCIV
I am so glad I rebuilt my alt for 20 bucks, buying a new one from mitsu has got to cost some jack.
Coop
Re: Who knows their alternators?
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:56 pm
by vegasidol
[quote=""DCIV""]I am so glad I rebuilt my alt for 20 bucks, buying a new one from mitsu has got to cost some jack.
Coop[/quote]
What did you replace? I need a new rectifier (if I want to rebuild my old one) and I haven't priced parts yet.
Re: Who knows their alternators?
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:34 pm
by DCIV
Heck that was taking it to a local place that rebuilds them. I didnt replace anything.
Coop
Re: Who knows their alternators?
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:41 pm
by vegasidol
[quote=""DCIV""]Heck that was taking it to a local place that rebuilds them. I didnt replace anything.
Coop[/quote]
$20? Man...they must have just replaced brushes...
Re: Who knows their alternators?
Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:21 am
by DCIV
I hope not, he said he repaced somethign other then brushes. Could be though, with out opening it up myself and looking before and after i would never truely know.
Coop
Re: Who knows their alternators?
Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:27 am
by vegasidol
It's down again.
Alt didn't hold. Tested it at an auto store...a lot of good that did.

But now it also seems as though the battery isn't holding a charge. Could a bad alt hurt a bad battery?
Re: Who knows their alternators?
Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:55 am
by Monochrome
Yes. The alt keeps the battery charged.
Still got one if you need it.
