Bought another car.

If you're looking for a place to direct your vehicular thoughts, you've found it.

Moderator: Monochrome

Post Reply
User avatar
eljefefx
Navy E5
Navy E5
Posts: 8120
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:34 am
Location: Texas

Bought another car.

Post by eljefefx »

This will be for my journey from Fort Worth, Tx to Whidbey Island, WA, then from there onto Washington D.C.

Our Stable of Cars.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


$3000 out the door. Only thing is it's tossing out a CEL. I think it's doing that because of the aftermarket or incorrect MAS in the last few pics.
Last edited by eljefefx on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, I'm alive.
User avatar
Sean Johnson
Posts: 2419
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:43 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Bought another car.

Post by Sean Johnson »

How are you getting the 3000 out to DC?
User avatar
eljefefx
Navy E5
Navy E5
Posts: 8120
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:34 am
Location: Texas

Re: Bought another car.

Post by eljefefx »

Towing it behind the Uhaul.
Yeah, I'm alive.
User avatar
TajMan
Posts: 8792
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:40 pm
Location: Salt Lake valley UT

Re: Bought another car.

Post by TajMan »

ew
.. if you're happy with ur Ford
:lol: ;)
-'79 Yamaha XS11 special, custom work in progress
-'93 Stealthubishi
Image
User avatar
vr4
Posts: 14539
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:32 am
Location: WA
Contact:

Re: Bought another car.

Post by vr4 »

the reman maf makes me wonder.

get me the code(s) stored
DOGE
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15952
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Bought another car.

Post by Chris GTO TT »

[quote=""eljefefx""]Towing it behind the Uhaul.[/quote]

Hope you're not planning on towing anything uhual with the explorer cause they wont let you
User avatar
Sean Johnson
Posts: 2419
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:43 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Bought another car.

Post by Sean Johnson »

[quote=""Chris GTO TT""]Hope you're not planning on towing anything uhual with the explorer cause they wont let you[/quote]

Why not?
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25429
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: Bought another car.

Post by Jeff V. »

What year is it? I may have something that will prove useful to you...
User avatar
TajMan
Posts: 8792
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:40 pm
Location: Salt Lake valley UT

Re: Bought another car.

Post by TajMan »

[quote=""Chris GTO TT""]Hope you're not planning on towing anything uhual with the explorer cause they wont let you[/quote]

Well except for the Uhaul car dollys & flatbed trailers you can rent, you can pull those with whatever. I'd assume their little enclosed trailers too.
If you pickup and drop-off at different locations, you pay expensive mileage fee $$$.
-'79 Yamaha XS11 special, custom work in progress
-'93 Stealthubishi
Image
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15952
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Bought another car.

Post by Chris GTO TT »

[quote=""Sean Johnson""]Why not?[/quote]

[quote=""TajMan""]Well except for the Uhaul car dollys & flatbed trailers you can rent, you can pull those with whatever. I'd assume their little enclosed trailers too.
If you pickup and drop-off at different locations, you pay expensive mileage fee $$$.[/quote]

Uhaul actually has a ban on explorers towing their equipment. They Claim they are 'unsafe for towing.' The reality is they had a span where something like 40% of accidents involving uhaul trailers were being towed by explorers. The problem is this span where they collected data for was when the explorer was by far the top selling SUV.

Explorers are perfectly safe for towing with people just dont know how to tow ;)
User avatar
TajMan
Posts: 8792
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:40 pm
Location: Salt Lake valley UT

Re: Bought another car.

Post by TajMan »

Well yeah thats if you are honest with them that you're trying to tow another big vehicle with your little V6 or something, you're supposed to keep that a secret :lol:

I towed a car dolly across the country with a CAVALIER :eek:
(I rented that one from other place though not Uhaul)
-'79 Yamaha XS11 special, custom work in progress
-'93 Stealthubishi
Image
User avatar
eljefefx
Navy E5
Navy E5
Posts: 8120
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:34 am
Location: Texas

Re: Bought another car.

Post by eljefefx »

[quote=""vr4""]the reman maf makes me wonder.

get me the code(s) stored[/quote]


Will do. I won't be able to get it to a place that will do it until probably later next week. I'm' 80% certain that is why it's tossin' out a CEL.

[quote=""Chris GTO TT""]Hope you're not planning on towing anything uhual with the explorer cause they wont let you[/quote]

No. Nothing will be towed with this thing.

[quote=""Gatecrasher""]What year is it? I may have something that will prove useful to you...[/quote]


It's a 1999 Explorer Sport.


Like I said, for 106k on the clock and $3000 out the door, Tax, Title and License included in that cost, I'm not to worried about the damn thing. We just figured it would be better to buy it now and have plenty of time to fix all the issues with it.
Yeah, I'm alive.
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15952
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Bought another car.

Post by Chris GTO TT »

[quote=""TajMan""]Well yeah thats if you are honest with them that you're trying to tow another big vehicle with your little V6 or something, you're supposed to keep that a secret :lol:

I towed a car dolly across the country with a CAVALIER :eek:
(I rented that one from other place though not Uhaul)[/quote]

Explorers (1st and 2nd gen 4doors) are actually rated to tow 5000lbs...and trust me they can :)
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25429
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: Bought another car.

Post by Jeff V. »

It's a 1999 Explorer Sport.
Damn. My Ford service info only goes back to 2000.

Let me see what I can dig up.
User avatar
vr4
Posts: 14539
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:32 am
Location: WA
Contact:

Re: Bought another car.

Post by vr4 »

[quote=""Gatecrasher""]Damn. My Ford service info only goes back to 2000.

Let me see what I can dig up.[/quote]

what are you trying to dig up? i guarentee i have more access than you ;)


true about the uhaul thing. though you can tow with a mercury mountianeer (identical truck)
DOGE
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15952
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Bought another car.

Post by Chris GTO TT »

[quote=""vr4""]what are you trying to dig up? i guarentee i have more access than you ;)


true about the uhaul thing. though you can tow with a mercury mountianeer (identical truck)[/quote]

or my ultra rare 4 door Mazda Navajo :suspect2:
User avatar
stealthee
Posts: 5064
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:06 am
Location: SWPA
Contact:

Re: Bought another car.

Post by stealthee »

Alot of the ban had to do with the Firestone tire recall too. And yeah, if you tell them its a Navajo, or a Mountaineer there is no problem.

As for twoing, I dont know how many tiems I have towed a "Civic". :lol:

Mikes 93 VR4 was a "civic" being towed with a Grand Cherokee
The 92 VR4 Mike and I went half on was a "civic" being towned with the same GC
My dads Toyota was a "civic" being towed with the GC
My Stealth was a "civic" being towed with my cousins jacked up F150. :lol:
Image
User avatar
vr4
Posts: 14539
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:32 am
Location: WA
Contact:

Re: Bought another car.

Post by vr4 »

[quote=""stealthee""]Alot of the ban had to do with the Firestone tire recall too. And yeah, if you tell them its a Navajo, or a Mountaineer there is no problem.

As for twoing, I dont know how many tiems I have towed a "Civic". :lol:

Mikes 93 VR4 was a "civic" being towed with a Grand Cherokee
The 92 VR4 Mike and I went half on was a "civic" being towned with the same GC
My dads Toyota was a "civic" being towed with the GC
My Stealth was a "civic" being towed with my cousins jacked up F150. :lol: [/quote]


my 97 was an 85 crx ;)


my stealth was a stealth TT. (i was using an 06 f350 diesel 4x4 long bed crew cab.) seeing the guys eyes widen when he saw the weight of the car was priceless.
DOGE
User avatar
stealthee
Posts: 5064
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:06 am
Location: SWPA
Contact:

Re: Bought another car.

Post by stealthee »

Yeah, the weight was the only reason I lied about what was being towed.

Then when I got the dolly to the Stealth to pick it up I rememberd why I hated loading Mikes VR4 up. He had the stocker 8.5" wide 18" chromies. It BARELY fit on the dolly. (I unhooked the driveshaft from the rear diff)

So I go to put my car on, and I realize my 9" wide Villains arent going to cut it. I had to let the air out of the tires to get the car to sit in the "gully" so I could strap it down.
Image
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15952
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Bought another car.

Post by Chris GTO TT »

Image
Post Reply