Page 1 of 39

Analysis Paralysis

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:14 am
by Chris GTO TT
My brain is fried and I cannot figure out WTF to do. :confused: As I'm sure regular readers of Shout know I've been continually shopping for cars lately, but cannot make any sort of decision. The cars I've been looking at have been wildly varied in style, price, and condition. I have a couple of burners in the fire at the moment, and might have to make a decision soon.

Some of the options I've been looking at:

1. Status Quo
-Currently we have a 2007 Ford Explorer V8 4x4 tow package, 2001 Mazda Miata Base, and a 2016 Outback (my wife drives the Outback).
-Pros: I have a car capable of towing my 'fun' car. 2 cars with AWD/4x4. Miata and Outback are fairly reliable. When I get to drive the Miata as it's meant to it's amazing. Costs can be spread out over more time.
-Cons: I'm bored with both the Miata and the Explorer. Everything is slow. Explorer is the ultimate trade off vehicle and does nothing well.
-Costs are minimal outside of the mods I'd like to do on the Miata, which totals at about $3-4K or an additional $4k if I go turbo.

2. Sell Miata for a 2002 WRB WRX
-Details: It is currently sitting at my favorite local Subaru shop having it's engine built with Wiesco pistons, King bearings, AEM fuel pump, 1050 Injectors, STI uppipe, vf48 turbo. From my searching it should be about a 270ish WHP car.
-Pros: More power than the Miata, can be a decent handling car, pretty light weight for an AWD car. Lots and Lots of options for mods.
-Cons: Turbo Subarus aren't known for their reliability. Could be opening in a major mod can of worms. Chassis has 250k miles on it. Wear items cost a lot more than the Miata. I still have the Explorer which I'm not happy with.
-Costs: Car with the motor build as listed above $7500, another 650-2000 for suspension, $400-700 for LGT Brakes, and God knows what on other mods...

3. Sell Miata for 2005 Outback XT
-Details: Car has 170k on it, blown #4 ringland needs rebuild, 5spd manual car. When the build is done it should be a 300 WHP car capable of surviving track time.
-Pro: Most like my old Legacy spec.B, wagon would be fun to troll people with at the track and autox, wagon space, decent amenities for a Subaru, depending on suspension setup can be comfortable and sporty.
-Cons: More expensive than the WRX above, doesn't handle as well as other sporty options, EJ25 is less reliable than the EJ20 in the WRX above.
-Costs: Seller is asking $2000, I'd need it for $1500 or less. Engine build installed is at least 7k for the reliability I'd want on the track. Suspension is at least $700, brakes another $400-700 for LGT brakes. Mods beyond that would likely be like the WRX ...

4. Sell Explorer and Miata for 'reliable' fun car IS350 F-Sport
-Details: https://www.vroom.com/inventory/lexus-i ... 25E5013136
-Pros: Fun daily driver, decently quick, reliable, comfortable
-Cons: Expensive, less fun than a modded WRX or Miata. Lose lots of capabilities, towing, 4x4, cargo space.
-Costs: Starts at $26k goes up to $40k depending on years and mileage.

5. Sell Explorer and Miata for more fun daily driver... Audi S4
-Details: https://www.vroom.com/inventory/audi-s4 ... L5DA199698 Wrong color but you get the idea.
-Pros: Most reminds me of my old Legacy spec.B, fast, fun, comfortable, AWD
-Cons: It's a 5+ year old Audi, not known for reliability, expensive, high maintenance, probably expensive to insure
-Costs: Starts at $29k and goes up depending on year, mileage and options.

6. Sell Explorer, keep Miata, buy something like an F-150
-Details: https://www.vroom.com/inventory/ford-f- ... T6EKF06400 Almost exactly what I'd want
-Pros: Tows better than the Explorer, better gas mileage than the Explorer, more comfortable than the Explorer, better options, better 4x4 system.
-Cons: Expensive, big, hard to park, might not fit in the garage, higher maintenance than the Explorer, will I get annoyed with it in the same way I'm annoyed with the Explorer?
-Costs: Truck with the equipment I'd want starts at $30k.

Re: Analysis Paralysis

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:55 pm
by ChargerX3
I’ve only had the Ford F-150 XLT like yours listed and really liked it. Mine was a 2011 with the 5.0 although I had coworkers with the eco sport. Only had a couple weird issues early on. Front driveline seal leaked oil and my timing cover snapped off due to a faulty pully. I put 180k miles on that truck and it just kept going. Plenty of power, nimble, great 4wd and towing, strong brakes, comfortable for long hauls, extra seating, got close to 20mpg average.

I have my 1500 Ram and love it but I wouldn’t hesitate to get the f150 if the need arose. They are quick, fun trucks.

Re: Analysis Paralysis

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:03 pm
by vr4
Having driven a couple is250/350s (no f sports though) after having my Infiniti...I was not impressed. They just seemed a little cheaper feeling and comparatively cramped. Definitely not worth the added cost of entry.

F150 would also be my go to out of that list. Strongly recommend the 5.0 over a turbo option.

Re: Analysis Paralysis

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:33 pm
by Chris GTO TT
Interesting... I'm kinda surprised by both recommendations for the truck.

Re: Analysis Paralysis

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:48 am
by ChargerX3
Go test drive one and put it through the paces. Guarantee it will put the explorer to shame. It also doesn’t feel like a truck in the corners.

Re: Analysis Paralysis

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:23 am
by tabasco122
i say wrx, still say youre smoking crack that you need a $7000 motor for 300whp track reliability.

Re: Analysis Paralysis

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:09 am
by vr4
[quote=""tabasco122""]i say wrx, still say youre smoking crack that you need a $7000 motor for 300whp track reliability.[/quote]

I'm not. It's a Subaru. They blow up if you sneeze near one.

Re: Analysis Paralysis

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:32 am
by Chris GTO TT
[quote=""vr4""]I'm not. It's a Subaru. They blow up if you sneeze near one.[/quote]

This, and it's not just the build it's the removal, build and installation.

Re: Analysis Paralysis

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:52 am
by alienviking
Curious - why do you feel the need for AWD on a DD in Cali?

Re: Analysis Paralysis

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:06 pm
by Hannibalzero
Sell all of the cars, rob a bank, then go buy a Jaguar E-type electric classic.

https://media.jaguar.com/news/2017/09/j ... -car-world

Re: Analysis Paralysis

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:20 pm
by mjannusch
I'd run far away from anything Subaru, but that's just me... But if you insist on adding that sort of self-punishment to your life, then put a 3/S on that list instead.

Re: Analysis Paralysis

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:05 pm
by Jeff V.
Why on earth would you autocross an Outback? I get it if it's your only car, but that's not the case here.

Either buy the pickup and keep the Miata, or

Keep the Explorer and get replace the Miata with something a little more exciting. S2000, Z4, Cayman/Boxster, etc.

Re: Analysis Paralysis

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:54 pm
by Chris GTO TT
[quote=""alienviking""]Curious - why do you feel the need for AWD on a DD in Cali?[/quote]
I don't need it, but I am close enough to the mountains where we can get a lot of snow I like to have it so we can go play. Also I like how it drives.
[quote=""Hannibalzero""]Sell all of the cars, rob a bank, then go buy a Jaguar E-type electric classic.

https://media.jaguar.com/news/2017/09/j ... -car-world[/quote]
I'd prefer something without jail time... I'm too pretty for jail
[quote=""mjannusch""]I'd run far away from anything Subaru, but that's just me... But if you insist on adding that sort of self-punishment to your life, then put a 3/S on that list instead.[/quote]
My Subaru was far better than my VR-4 was for the type of driving I plan to do with my fun car.
[quote=""Jeff V.""]Why on earth would you autocross an Outback? I get it if it's your only car, but that's not the case here.

Either buy the pickup and keep the Miata, or

Keep the Explorer and get replace the Miata with something a little more exciting. S2000, Z4, Cayman/Boxster, etc.[/quote]

Why would I autox an Outback? This is why! :D
Image

On the S2000 I kinda like them, but the cost of entry for what you get is getting too high for me. Never really liked the Z4 :d ontknow: Before I bought my Legacy I was also kind of looking for a Boxster S or Cayman, but again I think cost of entry is a bit more than I'd like given the purpose of the car.

Re: Analysis Paralysis

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:01 pm
by Jeff V.
So you buy an Outback, and lower it. Now it's a Legacy. :p

1st gen Boxsters are cheap. There's one locally here, with a hard top, for 7k. I was trying to find a way for my sister in law to buy it.

Re: Analysis Paralysis

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:03 pm
by Chris GTO TT
[quote=""Jeff V.""]So you buy an Outback, and lower it. Now it's a Legacy. :p

1st gen Boxsters are cheap. There's one locally here, with a hard top, for 7k. I was trying to find a way for my sister in law to buy it.[/quote]

Exactly, it's the easiest way to get a Legacy 2.5GT Wagon with a manual transmission ;)

Yeah but add a couple grand for IMS bearing replacement and clutch while you are in there.

Re: Analysis Paralysis

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:21 pm
by Jeff V.
Find one with that already done. :d ontknow:

How about a faster Miata? Mazdaspeed or something.

How about a Solstice GXP? It's like a 3/5 scale Corvette.

Re: Analysis Paralysis

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:28 pm
by ChargerX3
350/370Z?
VELOSTER ;)

Re: Analysis Paralysis

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:50 pm
by vr4
[quote=""Jeff V.""]Find one with that already done. :d ontknow:

How about a faster Miata? Mazdaspeed or something.

How about a Solstice GXP? It's like a 3/5 scale Corvette.[/quote]

With an LS7 swap

[quote=""ChargerX3""]350/370Z?
VELOSTER ;) [/quote]
He hates Nissan.

Veloster still exists?

Re: Analysis Paralysis

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:58 pm
by Jeff V.
Focus ST > Veloster

Re: Analysis Paralysis

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:02 pm
by Chris GTO TT
[quote=""Jeff V.""]Find one with that already done. :d ontknow:

How about a faster Miata? Mazdaspeed or something.

How about a Solstice GXP? It's like a 3/5 scale Corvette.[/quote]
Now that Flyin Miata's stage one turbo kit is CARB legal the MSM is in my opinion a waste of money. The things I'd have to do to fix the kludge would also make it not pass visual smog check. Faster Miata, or Miata style vehicle is basically keep the status quo.
[quote=""ChargerX3""]350/370Z?
VELOSTER ;) [/quote]

Nissan hasn't done much for me in the last 5-7 years

Veloster? Seriously? :confused: