Page 1 of 1
Anyone still running a vehicle with a carburetor?
Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:46 pm
by ChargerX3
Any of you guys still running old school carburation on any of your cars? I still have several older vehicles that do (Chargers) and im contemplating starting to switch them over to EFI.
What are your experiences?

Re: Anyone still running a vehicle with a carburetor?
Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:15 pm
by stealthee
I'm not, but my cousin has an 82 Mustang GT and we have talked about switching it over to EFI to make it more driveable through the year. He's not looking to do anything right now though because he just moved into an apartment and won't have the car with him most of the time, and he is getting married in a few months so he is saving for that.
Re: Anyone still running a vehicle with a carburetor?
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:16 am
by vr4
[quote=""stealthee""]I'm not, but my cousin has an 82 Mustang GT and we have talked about switching it over to EFI to make it more driveable through the year. He's not looking to do anything right now though because he just moved into an apartment and won't have the car with him most of the time, and he is getting married in a few months so he is saving for that.[/quote]
Grab a 95-97 explorer top end out of pick n pull. It'll put the car in the deep 13s and have easily swapped efi.
Re: Anyone still running a vehicle with a carburetor?
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:14 am
by Jeff V.
I have
sixteen of those near me

Re: Anyone still running a vehicle with a carburetor?
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:57 am
by ChargerX3
[quote=""vr4""]Grab a 95-97 explorer top end out of pick n pull. It'll put the car in the deep 13s and have easily swapped efi.[/quote]
Have a preferred link I can get familiar with?
Re: Anyone still running a vehicle with a carburetor?
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:47 pm
by vr4
[quote=""ChargerX3""]Have a preferred link I can get familiar with?[/quote]
I don't but it's the gt40 head swap.
The gt40p heads off the 98-01 explorers are the best factory 302 heads available but the spark plug placement makes off the shelf headers hard to use.
You'll definitely want the early computer/fuel setup as it's more....typical. Also no PATS to fiddle with.
You WILL have to replace the valve springs. The explorers came with the best heads but worst cam and springs.
Re: Anyone still running a vehicle with a carburetor?
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:25 pm
by ChargerX3
I dont own a ford so I dont care about the heads. Just looking for efi setups that bolt up to standard square bore intakes.
Re: Anyone still running a vehicle with a carburetor?
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:37 pm
by vr4
[quote=""ChargerX3""]I dont own a ford so I dont care about the heads. Just looking for efi setups that bolt up to standard square bore intakes.[/quote]
I believe I quoted your post about the 82 gt your cousin has.
I don't give 2 shits about anything Mopar related.
Re: Anyone still running a vehicle with a carburetor?
Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:46 am
by Jeff V.
Brian has the cousin with the GT.
Re: Anyone still running a vehicle with a carburetor?
Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:21 am
by vr4
[quote=""Jeff V.""]Brian has the cousin with the GT.[/quote]
Thats what I get for skimming while busy
My bad
For Mopar...I'm sure some of the truck stuff will bolt up to the small blocks and again I think the newer heads are improved vs older but probably best going aftermarket efi setups
Re: Anyone still running a vehicle with a carburetor?
Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:20 am
by ChargerX3
I remember reading an older muscle car magazine back in the 90s where a guy took a ford efi setup and installed it on his big block mopar. Said it took a lot of work but he got it to function well.
I dont necessarily need a mopar unit. The idea is the same regardless of manufacturer. I just want a solid go to solution.
Re: Anyone still running a vehicle with a carburetor?
Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:55 pm
by DCIV
Our boat is a lt1 carb. Ive always wanted to switch it over. Will be watching this thread.
Coop
Re: Anyone still running a vehicle with a carburetor?
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:16 am
by Chris GTO TT
I keep trying to convince my dad to put one of those TBI conversion kits on their 351 in their boat, he elected to just get a new carb

Re: Anyone still running a vehicle with a carburetor?
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:10 am
by ChargerX3
Yea, thats backwards thinking. New efi setups are so much cleaner and easier to operate. Im actually kind of excited to make the switch. At the least my fuel economy will bump but Im hopeful power will jump as well.
Re: Anyone still running a vehicle with a carburetor?
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:47 pm
by Chris GTO TT
[quote=""ChargerX3""]Yea, thats backwards thinking. New efi setups are so much cleaner and easier to operate. Im actually kind of excited to make the switch. At the least my fuel economy will bump but Im hopeful power will jump as well.[/quote]
I agree with you, but they are a lot more expensive especially when you have to have a marine legal one.
Re: Anyone still running a vehicle with a carburetor?
Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:19 am
by ChargerX3
Do you mean CA marine legal? Lol.
Re: Anyone still running a vehicle with a carburetor?
Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:23 am
by Chris GTO TT
Nope marine legal means it has to meet certain Coast Guard requirements to be safe for operation on a boat. If it's not Coast Guard approved and it causes a fire you're insurance won't likely cover anything.
Edit: more information here
http://www.cpperformance.com/t-carburet ... ction.aspx
Re: Anyone still running a vehicle with a carburetor?
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:15 pm
by ChargerX3
Well I got a bit lucky this past week. We have a "Summit Racing" Distribution facility in town and I tend to frequent it for their "Discount Rack".
Turns out someone purchased a FiTech Go Street setup and returned it without even using it. I went ahead and picked it up at a hefty discount along with the high pressure in tank retrofit kit that too was returned unused.
Link to the unit I got.
https://fitechefi.com/products/30003/
Its a nice clean unit. Good for 400hp and simple to set up. Not as advanced as some other higher end units that can control timing as well as work with boosted applications but should work well enough for my 69 383 and its basic needs.
Now i just need to unearth the car from storage.
Re: Anyone still running a vehicle with a carburetor?
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:27 pm
by DCIV
Looking forward to the instal.
Coop
Re: Anyone still running a vehicle with a carburetor?
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:14 pm
by ChargerX3
[quote=""DCIV""]Looking forward to the instal.
Coop[/quote]
Might need to hold your breath. Its buried in my parents garage for the past 18 years.
