Talk me down. The want is too strong

If you're looking for a place to direct your vehicular thoughts, you've found it.

Moderator: Monochrome

User avatar
ChargerX3
Posts: 12490
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:51 pm
Location: Reno

Talk me down. The want is too strong

Post by ChargerX3 »

Image

Somewhere along the lines the 707hp Hellcats have started to get forgotten and prices have begun to drop. Is it due to the Demon with 840+ hp, overstock for the market, or other sports/exotics that are offering new blood? Either way you can find these for $12,000 or more off MSRP.

Example:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-20 ... =161260310


I am in love and one of these wouldn't be too far out of reach for me to get.

:confused:
Image
User avatar
Duck Vader
Posts: 18820
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am

Re: Talk me down. The want is too strong

Post by Duck Vader »

FCA - enough said.
User avatar
alienviking
Posts: 10707
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Talk me down. The want is too strong

Post by alienviking »

[quote=""ChargerX3""]Is it due to the Demon with 840+ hp, overstock for the market, or other sports/exotics that are offering new blood? Either way you can find these for $12,000 or more off MSRP.
[/quote]

Or the fact that they are gigantic boats, can't turn a corner, sub-par build quality and, frankly, pretty ridiculous.

How is that :p
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: Talk me down. The want is too strong

Post by Jeff V. »

I sat in one when I was at Carmax recently. The interior of that thing is cavernous. The whole car is gigantic.

But it looks cool. :d ontknow:

700hp sounds cool, but it also sounded cool when I was looking at that modded Mercedes SL65. Guess what? The 0-60 time wasn't any better than my 460hp Vette. The Vette will run circles around that SL.

If it's purely an emotional choice, then go with it. But if you're trying to take an objective look at performance, compare the numbers to something smaller and more nimble. Horsepower can't overcome the laws of physics in a straight line or a corner.

I don't know if they ever cracked the ECU on those either.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
mjannusch
Posts: 4540
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 8:00 pm
Location: Hudson, WI

Re: Talk me down. The want is too strong

Post by mjannusch »

I beat one at the dragstrip with my stock Stingray. Go figure.

I think the newness of the idea has worn off. People who would be in the market for something like that figure they can get most any other sports car and put a supercharger on it and get that sort of power and be lugging around a lot less weight.

Depends what you expect out of it... Corners are not its buddy. Weighs 300 pounds than my Spyder and 600 more than a coupe VR4, and no AWD to balance it out. And people said VR4s were pigs. I guess times change?
-Matt
'21 Corvette Stingray HTC Z51
'95 3000GT Spyder VR4 (11.838@117.56)
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: Talk me down. The want is too strong

Post by Jeff V. »

Hellcat 0-60: 3.6 sec Skidpad 0.92g
Stingray 0-60: 3.8 sec Skidpad 1.10g

If you just want a big, brutal, stoplight to stoplight boulevard cruiser, it'll work.

For the money, I'd much rather have a Camaro ZL1, Mustang GT350, or Corvette Grand Sport. Z06s are coming down pretty fast now that they've been out a while. The Cadillac V cars are damn nice too.

Or get a Raptor :lol:
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
ChargerX3
Posts: 12490
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:51 pm
Location: Reno

Re: Talk me down. The want is too strong

Post by ChargerX3 »

[quote=""Duck Vader""]FCA - enough said.[/quote]

At least its not Daimler Chrysler. :cool:
Image
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: Talk me down. The want is too strong

Post by Jeff V. »

Steve wrote:At least its not Daimler Chrysler.
That car has gone so long without a real redesign, most of it is Daimler Chrysler :p
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
ChargerX3
Posts: 12490
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:51 pm
Location: Reno

Re: Talk me down. The want is too strong

Post by ChargerX3 »

[quote=""alienviking""]Or the fact that they are gigantic boats, can't turn a corner, sub-par build quality and, frankly, pretty ridiculous.

How is that :p [/quote]

Nice combo. :p

They are fairly big for a 2 door, and almost as long as a Charger. Challengers appear to be holding their value pretty well lately. I took a 392 scat pack out for a spin and it handled quite well. Better than i thought. Is it a european car in the corners? No, but they still feel quite tight for me. Probably tighter then anything i will ever do with it.
Image
User avatar
ChargerX3
Posts: 12490
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:51 pm
Location: Reno

Re: Talk me down. The want is too strong

Post by ChargerX3 »

[quote=""Jeff V.""]I sat in one when I was at Carmax recently. The interior of that thing is cavernous. The whole car is gigantic.

But it looks cool. :d ontknow:

700hp sounds cool, but it also sounded cool when I was looking at that modded Mercedes SL65. Guess what? The 0-60 time wasn't any better than my 460hp Vette. The Vette will run circles around that SL.

If it's purely an emotional choice, then go with it. But if you're trying to take an objective look at performance, compare the numbers to something smaller and more nimble. Horsepower can't overcome the laws of physics in a straight line or a corner.

I don't know if they ever cracked the ECU on those either.[/quote]

Oh and i agree there. Its no supercar nor does it pretend to be. Its a modern day muscle car that pays homage to its 70's roots. Thats what i love.

Hopefully someone cracks that ecu. :D

[quote=""Jeff V.""]Hellcat 0-60: 3.6 sec Skidpad 0.92g
Stingray 0-60: 3.8 sec Skidpad 1.10g

If you just want a big, brutal, stoplight to stoplight boulevard cruiser, it'll work.

For the money, I'd much rather have a Camaro ZL1, Mustang GT350, or Corvette Grand Sport. Z06s are coming down pretty fast now that they've been out a while. The Cadillac V cars are damn nice too.

Or get a Raptor :lol: [/quote]

All of those cost more than this new and are slower in a straight line. Yea, i said straight line. :ick:

[quote=""Jeff V.""]That car has gone so long without a real redesign, most of it is Daimler Chrysler :p [/quote]

2015+ look soooo much better inside and out.
Image
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: Talk me down. The want is too strong

Post by Jeff V. »

Challenger: 198"
CTS wagon: 192"
'71 Challenger: 191"
W210 generation Mercedes E-class which the LX cars are loosely based on: 190"
3000GT: 181"

It's huge.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
ChargerX3
Posts: 12490
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:51 pm
Location: Reno

Re: Talk me down. The want is too strong

Post by ChargerX3 »

[quote=""mjannusch""]I beat one at the dragstrip with my stock Stingray. Go figure.

I think the newness of the idea has worn off. People who would be in the market for something like that figure they can get most any other sports car and put a supercharger on it and get that sort of power and be lugging around a lot less weight.

Depends what you expect out of it... Corners are not its buddy. Weighs 300 pounds than my Spyder and 600 more than a coupe VR4, and no AWD to balance it out. And people said VR4s were pigs. I guess times change?[/quote]

Driver mod. :p

The perk is that supercharger and all come with the factory warranty. That is whats appealing. The others dont.

Yea, its a little heavy, but its no pig as there are other cars that still weigh more.
Image
User avatar
Duck Vader
Posts: 18820
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am

Re: Talk me down. The want is too strong

Post by Duck Vader »

1971 Chevelle - Overall Length = 197.5 :suspect:
User avatar
ChargerX3
Posts: 12490
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:51 pm
Location: Reno

Re: Talk me down. The want is too strong

Post by ChargerX3 »

Wifes MDX is 192" and its a 7 passenger vehicle. Lol.

Image
Image
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: Talk me down. The want is too strong

Post by Jeff V. »

Steve wrote:The perk is that supercharger and all come with the factory warranty. That is whats appealing. The others dont.
Image
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
mjannusch
Posts: 4540
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 8:00 pm
Location: Hudson, WI

Re: Talk me down. The want is too strong

Post by mjannusch »

[quote=""ChargerX3""]The perk is that supercharger and all come with the factory warranty. That is whats appealing. The others dont.[/quote]
I'd argue then that a C7 Z06 would be a better choice. Or a 6th gen Camaro ZL1.
Yea, its a little heavy, but its no pig as there are other cars that still weigh more.
Like what??? :)
-Matt
'21 Corvette Stingray HTC Z51
'95 3000GT Spyder VR4 (11.838@117.56)
User avatar
ChargerX3
Posts: 12490
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:51 pm
Location: Reno

Re: Talk me down. The want is too strong

Post by ChargerX3 »

[quote=""mjannusch""]I'd argue then that a C7 Z06 would be a better choice. Or a 6th gen Camaro ZL1.


Like what??? :) [/quote]

I was watching some videos and review on the new Camaro and didnt like what I saw or heard. Yea, its better on the track, but everyone agreed that it was a pain to drive as a daily or cruiser because of the harsh ride. They said keep it for the race track and you will like it. Its also still not faster than a Hellcat out of the box.

Charger....Lol. :p
Image
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: Talk me down. The want is too strong

Post by Jeff V. »

Steve wrote: Its also still not faster than a Hellcat out of the box.
Hellcat 0-60: 3.6 sec Skidpad 0.92g
ZL1 0-60: 3.5 sec Skidpad 1.04g

It's also nearly 500 lbs lighter.

Anything is going to feel harsh compared to that overstuffed Laz-y-boy Chrysler is building.

I understand the appeal of feeling like you're driving around in your living room though. I had an 80s Buick Estate Wagon that was the same way :lol:
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
ChargerX3
Posts: 12490
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:51 pm
Location: Reno

Re: Talk me down. The want is too strong

Post by ChargerX3 »

[quote=""Jeff V.""]Hellcat 0-60: 3.6 sec Skidpad 0.92g
ZL1 0-60: 3.5 sec Skidpad 1.04g

It's also nearly 500 lbs lighter.

Anything is going to feel harsh compared to that overstuffed Laz-y-boy Chrysler is building.

I understand the appeal of feeling like you're driving around in your living room though. I had an 80s Buick Estate Wagon that was the same way :lol: [/quote]

"Chevy is claiming that the 2017 10-speed ZL1 needs 3.5 seconds to 60 mph and runs the quarter in 11.4 seconds at 127 mph. Luckily for you, we have a test team, and we were able to verify the 3.5 seconds to 60 mph claim. However, in the quarter mile, the best road test editor Chris Walton could get was 11.5 seconds at 125 miles per hour."

Stock hellcats are in the mid 10's at 130mph. Im sure with time stock cameros will dial closer. I know Chevy offers an update that changes some hard parts, reprograms to slightly better the Hellcat, but with all that extra cost and running 110 octane that is where the Demon steps in and still beats the Chevy.

Either way I like the starting point of the Hellcat. Less expensive than the ZL1 or the GT500 and faster out of the box.

Differences between the hellcat and the demon look to be pretty small, minus the goodies in the crate you purchase for $1. Slightly larger heat exchanger, very slightly. Some programming, maybe a smaller pulley, and two stage fuel pump. Shouldn't be hard to make a Hellcat compete with Demon speed later on down the line without having to pony up the extra cash up front.
Image
User avatar
mjannusch
Posts: 4540
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 8:00 pm
Location: Hudson, WI

Re: Talk me down. The want is too strong

Post by mjannusch »

I know a few people with Hellcats, and they are an entertaining go-fast car. They do attract attention, and the loud sound is good... If that’s your bag, I’m sure you’d enjoy it a lot.
-Matt
'21 Corvette Stingray HTC Z51
'95 3000GT Spyder VR4 (11.838@117.56)
Post Reply