Spark plug gapper....errrr degapper?

If you're looking for a place to direct your vehicular thoughts, you've found it.

Moderator: Monochrome

Post Reply
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26794
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Spark plug gapper....errrr degapper?

Post by DCIV »

I have always hated the stupid thing at autozone that you put in your plug and then try to hold and hit the plug to close the gap.

Got to searching on amazon and found this:
https://www.amazon.com/Torque-Solution- ... XPKPZEP6VD

Thoughts? What mm is ours plugs btw?


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
Duck Vader
Posts: 18821
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am

Re: Spark plug gapper....errrr degapper?

Post by Duck Vader »

Never had any issue with the autozone ones. :d ontknow:
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26794
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Spark plug gapper....errrr degapper?

Post by DCIV »

[quote=""Duck Vader""]Never had any issue with the autozone ones. :d ontknow:[/quote]

To open up the gap they work just fine, I hate them to close the gap. Yes this is overkill....hi I'm Coop...but I like its simplicity.


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
Duck Vader
Posts: 18821
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am

Re: Spark plug gapper....errrr degapper?

Post by Duck Vader »

What is hard about closing the gap with them? Just set it to the point you need a push it down.
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26794
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Spark plug gapper....errrr degapper?

Post by DCIV »

[quote=""Duck Vader""]What is hard about closing the gap with them? Just set it to the point you need a push it down.[/quote]

Maybe your stronger than me but holding the tool and pushing down with a lightly tapping hammer always worked. Just a lot of holding and movement for an important engine piece. Never felt like I should be closing the gap that way.


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
Duck Vader
Posts: 18821
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am

Re: Spark plug gapper....errrr degapper?

Post by Duck Vader »

Ya. I just use my thumb or finger to push it down. :lol: Or push it gently against something soft like a block of wood.
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25429
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: Spark plug gapper....errrr degapper?

Post by Jeff V. »

Maybe he's stronger than you? :lol:

He's stronger than both of us put together :p
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26794
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Spark plug gapper....errrr degapper?

Post by DCIV »

[quote=""Jeff V.""]Maybe he's stronger than you? :lol:

He's stronger than both of us put together :p [/quote]

Yes...and then some. I'm gonna go take one of my spare plugs and see if I can do what he is saying.

Jeff are our plugs 14mm? I thought all plugs pretty much had the same thread and pitch, which is why I'm confused why it even matters what mm they are.


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25429
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: Spark plug gapper....errrr degapper?

Post by Jeff V. »

I have no clue. I think they're the same, but I can't promise that. I can check when I get home if you don't feel like pulling one out of your car.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
vr4
Posts: 14539
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:32 am
Location: WA
Contact:

Re: Spark plug gapper....errrr degapper?

Post by vr4 »

I just lightly tap it on a solid surface then re gap as necessary
DOGE
User avatar
stealthee
Posts: 5064
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:06 am
Location: SWPA
Contact:

Re: Spark plug gapper....errrr degapper?

Post by stealthee »

[quote=""vr4""]I just lightly tap it on a solid surface then re gap as necessary[/quote]
This is how I've always done it and I've never had an issue. No special tools and no super human strength needed.
Image
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26794
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Spark plug gapper....errrr degapper?

Post by DCIV »

I know that way works. But I was just curious if there was a tool to make it perfect. Seems like there is. It’s not like it’s crazy expensive. Yeah Jeff if you have a plug handy I would like to know. I think this will work. I might give it a try if so.


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26794
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Spark plug gapper....errrr degapper?

Post by DCIV »

Hmmm. Just sent it to my dad to see if he can 3D print it. If it’s so easy to bend, then a plastic one should be able too.


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25429
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: Spark plug gapper....errrr degapper?

Post by Jeff V. »

14x1.25.

That was a 6G75 spark plug, but I'm pretty sure all Mitsu V6s use the same style of plug.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26794
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Spark plug gapper....errrr degapper?

Post by DCIV »

And it’s unavalable. The 12mm one is in stock but not this one. Lol. Thank you Jeff.


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26794
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Spark plug gapper....errrr degapper?

Post by DCIV »

eBay has them but I found a cheaper one and got it.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/StreetRays-Spark ... mwBanner=1

Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26794
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Spark plug gapper....errrr degapper?

Post by DCIV »

The part came in the mail. Found an old plug to try it out on. I like it, want to put some sort of plastic or wooden tip on it though.


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
Post Reply