Input shaft bearings

If you're looking for a place to direct your vehicular thoughts, you've found it.

Moderator: Monochrome

Post Reply
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26787
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Input shaft bearings

Post by DCIV »

So reading a little about this today. Seems they are discontinued but sometimes you can find the oem ones. I set off to find some. Supercar sells them for 500 bucks....WHAT!? Pretty much everyone else sells some aftermarket ones which I haven’t heard any good reviews about.

Questions...is the aftermarket going to get better? Do they even care? Will there be other solutions? Those in the know....please shine some light on this.


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
stealthee
Posts: 5064
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:06 am
Location: SWPA
Contact:

Re: Input shaft bearings

Post by stealthee »

Unless they are something special I don't know about, I would say bearings should be bearings. Go with Koyo, National, SKF or anything like that and you'll be fine.
Image
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26787
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Input shaft bearings

Post by DCIV »

Apparently it’s something special.


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
stealthee
Posts: 5064
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:06 am
Location: SWPA
Contact:

Re: Input shaft bearings

Post by stealthee »

Ah, I just went to Supercar's site and see what it is now.
Image
User avatar
mjannusch
Posts: 4540
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 8:00 pm
Location: Hudson, WI

Re: Input shaft bearings

Post by mjannusch »

They are special. If there isn't anything wrong with the one you have, re-use it.

I have a couple, but not looking to sell them for reasons that you've already discovered. :(
-Matt
'21 Corvette Stingray HTC Z51
'95 3000GT Spyder VR4 (11.838@117.56)
User avatar
Hans_GZP
Posts: 6611
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: Easton, PA
Contact:

Re: Input shaft bearings

Post by Hans_GZP »

Most of the time people complain about a leak from the bearing. It's the o-ring that goes around the bearing that is the problem 90% of the time. I have a bunch of those o-rings in stock.

The places that have the OEM bearings are price gouging the shit out of their customers. It's sad. A $40 part is not a $500 part. I just sold a used one for $100 with a new o-ring because the guy was having problems with an aftermarket bearing. I didn't really want to sell it, but didn't want to leave the guy hanging. I've honestly never had issues with the aftermarket ones, but those are getting almost impossible to find now too.
First to 184 million :lol:
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26787
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Input shaft bearings

Post by DCIV »

So how do we get a good aftermarket one?


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
Hans_GZP
Posts: 6611
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: Easton, PA
Contact:

Re: Input shaft bearings

Post by Hans_GZP »

No idea. I haven't been able to get my hands on a new one at all. Unless the bearing looks worn, or the housing for the bearing is worn or the halves spin, there is no need to replace the assembly.
First to 184 million :lol:
User avatar
Hans_GZP
Posts: 6611
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: Easton, PA
Contact:

Re: Input shaft bearings

Post by Hans_GZP »

Fieros run very similar input shaft bearing styles to what we have. They also have the same issue as we have (no more available). Through a ton of rabbit hole research, I found a guy who has a kit that adapts a different bearing/seal setup to fit their transmission. I've been meaning to send him over our bearing dimensions to see if this is an option for us. It would be great if it is!

http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/produc ... cts_id=305
First to 184 million :lol:
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26787
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Input shaft bearings

Post by DCIV »

[quote=""Hans_GZP""]Fieros run very similar input shaft bearing styles to what we have. They also have the same issue as we have (no more available). Through a ton of rabbit hole research, I found a guy who has a kit that adapts a different bearing/seal setup to fit their transmission. I've been meaning to send him over our bearing dimensions to see if this is an option for us. It would be great if it is!

http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/produc ... cts_id=305[/quote]

Hell yeah, let me know if I can help. And by help I mean get people doing stuff.


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
Post Reply