Page 1 of 1
Lets talk oil system
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:48 am
by DCIV
Currently our stock oiling system works as such (correct me if Im wrong)
Gets picked up out of the pan, through the oil pump, directly into the oil filter housing. Now if the pressure is too high there is a bypass....does it dump it back into the pan? If not too much pressure if goes into the oil filter then if hot enough through the cooler and into the motor.
Is that correct?
Isnt the oil filter housing a huge restriction? Lots of sharp turns? If you designed it how would it be?
Coop
Re: Lets talk oil system
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:53 pm
by mjannusch
If it gets bypassed at the filter, it is just that some of the oil is unfiltered, it still goes through the system.
Re: Lets talk oil system
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:23 pm
by vr4
If I were to design it I wouldn't. I'm not an engineer and try to let those with more letters in their degrees design critical systems.
Re: Lets talk oil system
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:19 pm
by DCIV
My point is you see people with the plates, instead of oil filter housing, that come out to aftermarket oil housing and somehow to an oil cooler. I was just curious if that is better and if it is how much.
Coop
Re: Lets talk oil system
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:31 pm
by mjannusch
It depends on what percieved problem you are trying to solve. Personally I dont have any big issues with the oil system. If tracking a 3S then an upgraded oil cooler thats not mounted behind an intercooler is probably worth it.
Biggest thing is to change the oil and filter on the maintenance schedule.
Re: Lets talk oil system
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:34 pm
by DCIV
Ive never had any personal problems. I do have a huge oil cooler behind the intercooler though.
My issue is just efficiency. Seems like it takes some hard turns really close to the source. Also wouldnt be a horrible thing to have options to different and bigger oil filters.
Im sure there are not any back to back flow tests or anything like that but I would love to know how restrictive the stock oil filter housing is.
Coop
Re: Lets talk oil system
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:00 pm
by mjannusch
The passages in the oil pump itself are probably more restrictive than the passages in the filter housing.
You can put a longer filter on, but I'd be careful about going too long. Jack T. had an incident where an object struck his longer filter on track. I think there was one that was an inch or so longer, and another that was a couple inches longer. The longer of the two is too long, IMO.
I'd be interested in the pressure drop across a new filter, and see if there are other filters available with less pressure drop but still filter well, and don't bypass quite as easily.
Re: Lets talk oil system
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:52 pm
by DCIV
Has no one ever tried modifying the pump housing itself? Doesnt seem like Ive ever heard of it if so.
Coop
Re: Lets talk oil system
Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:18 am
by mjannusch
Yeah, I remember seeing some mod that would basically replace the oil filter housing with AN fittings and hose and loop the output to the galley plug on the back of the block or something like that. That crazy guy on 3Si with the bizzarre trans input shaft brake idea I think brought it up.
You might be able to do some minor flow mods to the pump itself, but theres a lot of things there that are they way they are for balance. You want to be able to provide pressure, but also need to provide enough flow at that pressure. Honestly, I dont think Mitsu did that bad of a job on the oiling system. A lot of these cars dont get the maintenance they need (regular oil/filter changes) and just get run until something goes wrong.
The only thing I was a bit worried about was high RPM pump gear failure, but fixed that by doing a stroker that wont be revved as high. I have a set of billet pump gears also, but turns out you cant trust those either.
Tough to win...
Re: Lets talk oil system
Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:18 pm
by DCIV
Matt did the oil filter mod on his stroker race car. The guy over seas did, I can keep going, Ive seen a handful of them over the years. Matt was just so dont do it unless its needed that makes me think there is something to this.
Coop