Page 1 of 1

Wiring/running rich/flashed ecu

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:43 am
by DCIV
So my wideband has been telling me I have been running lean/normal. But my nose is saying pig rich. My black stealth logger...pig rich.

I think it's because I my one o2 sensor is reading. The other doesn't move. It's brand new and swapping it with the other doesn't make any difference. So something is up with my wiring. So given I am incredibly challenged when it comes to wiring. What wires do I need to check on my adapter to make sure I'm getting them correctly to the ecu? Any other ideas? I figured I would start there as it's at least an issue.


Coop

Re: Wiring/running rich/flashed ecu

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:29 pm
by aaronatstate
What adapter harness do you have? I know on some of the early ones, the 02 pins were swapped. Easiest way to check is to unplug the 02 sensors under the hood while the car is running, and you are logging, and make sure the correct one quits working when you unplug it.

Re: Wiring/running rich/flashed ecu

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:27 pm
by DCIV
I'm pretty sure it's jesters but it was so long ago. I know I jumped in early. I almost want to send it to someone and have them verify everything is correct on it as if I remember right there were a couple things that got messed up.

But according to you, it's just switched. So I should have readings on both and I don't. I just have readings on one. The other one never moves. Even if I actually switch o2 sensors. So....that sounds like I have a diff problem.


Coop

Re: Wiring/running rich/flashed ecu

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:56 pm
by Jeff V.
This should be easy. Get a long jumper wire, a multi meter, and the pinouts for your original and flash ECUs. Disconnect the battery, then disconnect the adapter harness from the ECU and the car. Put one end of the wire into the O2 sensor connector, and make sure you have continuity between the O2 sensor signal pin and the correct pin on your original harness. This will let you know whether or not the original wire is damaged.

If that checks out, then do the same test on your jumper harness. That'll tell you if the wire is damaged, and if it's in the correct connector position.

Re: Wiring/running rich/flashed ecu

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:01 pm
by DCIV
I need to get a nicer volt meter tester. I had a nice one...and blew it up. This one one I have now will work but it doesnt even beep. The beep would be nice, I feel like I get a right answer when it beeps. lol.

Okay, I will find time to test that this week.


Coop

Re: Wiring/running rich/flashed ecu

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:02 pm
by aaronatstate
[quote=""DCIV""]I'm pretty sure it's jesters but it was so long ago. I know I jumped in early. I almost want to send it to someone and have them verify everything is correct on it as if I remember right there were a couple things that got messed up.

But according to you, it's just switched. So I should have readings on both and I don't. I just have readings on one. The other one never moves. Even if I actually switch o2 sensors. So....that sounds like I have a diff problem.


Coop[/quote]

I am almost positive, but don't remember for sure, that when it was switched on mine it only showed one working properly. But it's been so long...Easiest thing to do is what Jeff said. It's not hard to verify the wires are going to the correct locations.

Re: Wiring/running rich/flashed ecu

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:07 pm
by Jeff V.
Just go get a basic one from Home Depot. I blew up my nice one recently and I was in a hurry to get a new one. It's actually pretty decent, and it comes with some parts for testing home wiring too.

I got one really similar to this.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools- ... /204367271

Re: Wiring/running rich/flashed ecu

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:07 pm
by DCIV
k. That makes me want to tackle it sooner!


Coop