Page 1 of 1
Dash Cams
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:38 pm
by Duck Vader
I have been debating for some time now on getting a dash cam. I see quite a few accidents going to/from the gym and like the idea of getting things on camera in case I get involved in an accident or something. Problem is, I don't know much about them.
Anyone have one they can recommend?
I think I would like one that loop records, and maybe has both a front and rear cameras?
I don't want to spend too much on one.
Re: Dash Cams
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:50 pm
by Jeff V.
About all I know off the top of my head is that you want something with a capacitor rather than a battery. Reason being, the batteries don't do well with the high temps inside a parked car and can fail or even explode.
Maybe high end cameras are better, but it's still not a risk I'd take.
Re: Dash Cams
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:01 pm
by DCIV
I have a battery eliminator for my GoPro. It goes to a cig lighter and then you can put a script on the card to start up and record, then a script that when the card fills up it erases the earliest footage and records the most recent.
You can do this with hero 3's and everything is cheap. I would just suggest a perminate mount as the suction cups will fail after multiple hot and cold car environment.
Coop
Re: Dash Cams
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:09 pm
by Silver
I had thought of getting a camera for the truck, but I wanted it for traffic stops. I need it to be able to instantly upload video to the cloud though or it'd be worthless.
Re: Dash Cams
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:10 pm
by Jeff V.
Devin wrote:I had thought of getting a camera for the truck, but I wanted it for traffic stops. I need it to be able to instantly upload video to the cloud though or it'd be worthless.
Wow. That's....really shitty.

Re: Dash Cams
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:12 pm
by vegasidol
[quote=""Jeff V.""]Wow. That's....really shitty.

[/quote]
Shitty that cops feel like they can take your camera and delete your stuff? Yeah. It is shitty. :ick:
Re: Dash Cams
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:19 pm
by Jeff V.
Shitty that he needs one for that reason at all.
Re: Dash Cams
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:23 pm
by BATMAN
We have drive cam in our fleets. It goes off on hard braking, rough bumps(which is more often than you think).
WM is super big in safety. I don't have a problem with it. It has actually gotten me to slow down on texting and driving in my personal vehicle.
It just uses power from our truck batteries.
Re: Dash Cams
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:07 pm
by Jeff V.
The one in your truck should be the BatCam

Re: Dash Cams
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:33 pm
by DCIV
[quote=""Silver""]I had thought of getting a camera for the truck, but I wanted it for traffic stops. I need it to be able to instantly upload video to the cloud though or it'd be worthless.[/quote]
Pretty sure there are cameras that do this. They use your cell phone hot spot and you can turn them on and off as wanted.
Coop
Re: Dash Cams
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:32 pm
by Silver
Awesome. That last chick that live streamed her boyfriend being shot to facebook got screwed when FB deleted the vid. I'd rather have it stored on the cloud, or somewhere else a third party won't be able to delete it.
Re: Dash Cams
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:58 pm
by tabasco122
there is actually an app, i think its the aclu, that will stream straight to the cloud, so if its interrupted its still saved.
Re: Dash Cams
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:00 pm
by tabasco122
but for dash cam, check out the a118 on amazon, pretty much the best bang for buck. they make hardwire kits for them as well.
If you want high end, then blackvue makes some of the best stuff.
Re: Dash Cams
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:39 pm
by Duck Vader
Re: Dash Cams
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:43 pm
by J-Groove
That unit looks good. In for a review.
-John
Re: Dash Cams
Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:21 pm
by DCIV
Only thing I didn't like was it saying remove when at parking lots because if heat.
that will become a pain in the ass.
Coop
Re: Dash Cams
Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:50 pm
by Duck Vader
I am going to keep researching and seeing what I can find before making the decision on one for sure. I really like the idea of one with both front and rear facing cameras.
Re: Dash Cams
Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:55 am
by Duck Vader
So this is the one I ended up getting:
https://smile.amazon.com/V1P-Dashboard- ... +FHD+1080p
Here are some videos from the other day:
Front Day -
https://youtu.be/4t_Z-0Lpyhw
Front Night -
https://youtu.be/0hnsd4YwW3g
Rear Day with rainy on/off weather and dirty rear window -
https://youtu.be/gBOwG0_Ierg
Rear Night in rainy/wet roads with dirty window and road spray -
https://youtu.be/JnTrcLxcDIE
I will have to see the quality of the rear with a dry day and clean glass. Front isn't bad. Does what it needs to do and it was really easy to install/set up.
Re: Dash Cams
Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:48 pm
by DCIV
Glad you went with something. I've been tempted to have one where I live because it's amazing how no one will drive on their side of the road. I want to video them and then make a YouTube channel and post the bad drivers.
Coop