Page 5 of 9

Re: Is It My Turn Now?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:37 pm
by Jeff V.
Regrets? No. I mostly enjoyed the experience. But I'd only do it again for something very special, that wasn't a daily driver. About the only thing I'd even consider is a 2016+ R8, and it'll be another 10 years, if ever, before they drop into a price range I'm willing to afford.

I'm really, really glad I bought the C7 over that SL65 AMG I was looking at.

Re: Is It My Turn Now?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:41 pm
by Monochrome
[quote=""aaronatstate""]When did you have an RS?

I only remember your 1st gen ST, a handful of Miatas, a couple RX7s, a couple 99 VR4s, two Civic Type Rs (RIP), two new Miatas (love the hardtop), and you’re Golf R. Man you’ve had a lot of cars :lol: [/quote]

Had a lot more than that.... Kept trading off cars till I found one that suited all my needs and desires. Oddly that ended up being the Golf R. Main reason for all the cars is the long commute. The Golf already has 11k on it and I’ve owned it since September.

There’s factors like gas mileage and comfort when you commute that much (figure I’n living in the car 2.5 hours every song day). Then there’s factors like resale and purchasing incentives that come into play when you’re literally getting a new car every year.

I’m honestly so happy with this car I’ll be getting another when I reach 100k on this one (probably some time early next year). But that’s because this car suits MY needs which maybe completely different than yours.

The RS isn’t a bad car at all. Just not near the same level of quality as the Golf for the price. When I say quality I’m talking about things like interior materials and exterior fit and finish. Even the Fender stereo that comes in the Golf is literally the best factory stereo I’ve ever heard in any car ever.

Biggest nail in the coffin for the RS IMHO is spending over 35k on a car that’s built like a 20k car. Know what I’m saying?

Re: Is It My Turn Now?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:43 pm
by Monochrome
[quote=""Jeff V.""]Regrets? No. I mostly enjoyed the experience. But I'd only do it again for something very special, that wasn't a daily driver. About the only thing I'd even consider is a 2016+ R8, and it'll be another 10 years, if ever, before they drop into a price range I'm willing to afford.

I'm really, really glad I bought the C7 over that SL65 AMG I was looking at.[/quote]

You bought the wrong Audi was the issue. I think you’d have been much much happier with an RS4.

Re: Is It My Turn Now?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:53 pm
by aaronatstate
[quote=""Monochrome""]Biggest nail in the coffin for the RS IMHO is spending over 35k on a car that’s built like a 20k car. Know what I’m saying?[/quote]

The Golf R is built right alongside base Golfs in Germany :confused: I would suspect Gunther out on the line is not putting anymore effort into the R than he is a standard Golf.

And if you want to say that the Germans do a better job of assembling than the Golfs made in Mexico, then the same should apply to the RS since it was built in Saarlouis Germany, instead of Michigan.

Re: Is It My Turn Now?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:55 pm
by Jeff V.
I loved everything about that car. I just didn't like how difficult it was to get to certain parts for service work. I very seriously considered keeping it and buying a supercharger for it. I could have done that for what I put down on the C7, and not had a car payment.

Coupe > Sedan. So the RS4 was a non-starter.

Re: Is It My Turn Now?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:00 pm
by Jeff V.
Come on Aaron. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the Focus, but you know as well as I do that the design and engineering has a much greater effect on the end product than who is screwing it together.

The gap isn't nearly as big as it was say 10 years ago, but the Germans and especially VW/Audi still tend to have nicer interiors than anything with a domestic badge.

Re: Is It My Turn Now?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:09 pm
by DCIV
Greg how have you not been eaten up with just taxes on these vehicles you keep buying. Find you make “good” deals. The government is getting their tax on every 20k vehicle you keep buying. That adds up man.


Coop

Re: Is It My Turn Now?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:04 pm
by Chris95RT
See it's funny that you should say that all that.

When I compared my two Edges to equivalent Audi's I found that my car was the same fit and finish, no rattles, low road noise, etc. Except that I would have to pay the 20k+ premium for the equivalent Audi.

I guess to each their own, when you get down to that segment of car I suppose you can be more critical or rather, more things to be critical about.

Re: Is It My Turn Now?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:05 pm
by Chris95RT
[quote=""DCIV""]Greg how have you not been eaten up with just taxes on these vehicles you keep buying. Find you make “good” deals. The government is getting their tax on every 20k vehicle you keep buying. That adds up man.


Coop[/quote]

AND OBAMA LIKED IT THAT WAY.

Re: Is It My Turn Now?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:35 pm
by vr4
[quote=""Monochrome""]LOL didn’t Jeff buy an Audi? 🤣[/quote]

I think we really tried to say it was a bad idea

Re: Is It My Turn Now?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:55 pm
by Monochrome
[quote=""DCIV""]Greg how have you not been eaten up with just taxes on these vehicles you keep buying. Find you make “good” deals. The government is getting their tax on every 20k vehicle you keep buying. That adds up man.


Coop[/quote]

You get a tax credit when you trade in your car. Say you trade in your $40k car for a $44k car. You only pay taxes on the remaining $4k.

It’s not nearly as bad as you think.

Re: Is It My Turn Now?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:56 pm
by aaronatstate
[quote=""Jeff V.""]I loved everything about that car. I just didn't like how difficult it was to get to certain parts for service work. I very seriously considered keeping it and buying a supercharger for it. I could have done that for what I put down on the C7, and not had a car payment.

Coupe > Sedan. So the RS4 was a non-starter.[/quote]

I shouldn't have said regrets so much as there were some dislikes, and that it seemed like it was quite a pain to do some of the work on the car.

[quote=""Jeff V.""]Come on Aaron. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the Focus, but you know as well as I do that the design and engineering has a much greater effect on the end product than who is screwing it together.

The gap isn't nearly as big as it was say 10 years ago, but the Germans and especially VW/Audi still tend to have nicer interiors than anything with a domestic badge.[/quote]

I won't disagree with this, I just disagreed with Greg's statement of getting a $35k car that is built like a $20k car, since the Golf starts at $20k, and the gap is much closer now than 10 years ago.

Also to be fair the Ford C platform was mostly engineered in Germany anyway. I also agree with Chris, and I really like Ford's interiors. Our Explorer Sport interior is very nice. My old boss has a Passat Diesel that's fully loaded and I think the interior is on par with my Focus personally.

Re: Is It My Turn Now?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:57 pm
by Monochrome
[quote=""Jeff V.""]Coupe > Sedan. So the RS4 was a non-starter.[/quote]

Oh that’s right. I vaugly remember talking about that with you before.

Re: Is It My Turn Now?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:04 pm
by Monochrome
[quote=""aaronatstate""]I shouldn't have said regrets so much as there were some dislikes, and that it seemed like it was quite a pain to do some of the work on the car.



I won't disagree with this, I just disagreed with Greg's statement of getting a $35k car that is built like a $20k car, since the Golf starts at $20k, and the gap is much closer now than 10 years ago.

Also to be fair the Ford C platform was mostly engineered in Germany anyway. I also agree with Chris, and I really like Ford's interiors. Our Explorer Sport interior is very nice. My old boss has a Passat Diesel that's fully loaded and I think the interior is on par with my Focus personally.[/quote]

See the issue is you and Chris keep thinking I’m nocking the Ford interior. It’s not bad at all. Just the Golf is a few setups above it.

The R model Golf is also a lot different than your standard Golf. Interior lighting, digital dash, 8” touch screen... There’s a lot of differences.

And sorry Chris. I’ve compared the RS side by side to the Golf and the fit/finish isn’t as good. Again it’s not bad, but it’s not as good.

Re: Is It My Turn Now?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:05 pm
by Monochrome
BTW if the Ford fits your budget and checks all your boxes, then go for it. I’m not gonna try and sell you a different car than what you want. 🤣

Re: Is It My Turn Now?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:16 pm
by Jeff V.
The one thing that I wish my car had is a fully digital dash. The one it has is cool, but it just doesn't compare with what VW/Audi and now some of the other manufacturers are doing.

Re: Is It My Turn Now?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:30 pm
by aaronatstate
[quote=""Monochrome""]See the issue is you and Chris keep thinking I’m nocking the Ford interior. It’s not bad at all. Just the Golf is a few setups above it.

The R model Golf is also a lot different than your standard Golf. Interior lighting, digital dash, 8” touch screen... There’s a lot of differences.

And sorry Chris. I’ve compared the RS side by side to the Golf and the fit/finish isn’t as good. Again it’s not bad, but it’s not as good.[/quote]

My RS has ambient lighting, and an 8" touch screen. Only thing it doesn't have is the digital dash.

[quote=""Monochrome""]BTW if the Ford fits your budget and checks all your boxes, then go for it. I’m not gonna try and sell you a different car than what you want. 🤣[/quote]

I already bought it. Both fit my budget, just don't want a VW. I don't really like the styling of the Golf R either. Too subtle. I want to live out my inner ricer some, but now to the degree of the Civic Type R :lol:

[quote=""Jeff V.""]The one thing that I wish my car had is a fully digital dash. The one it has is cool, but it just doesn't compare with what VW/Audi and now some of the other manufacturers are doing.[/quote]

I wish the Explorer Sport had the digital dash that comes in the Explorer Platinum. The 2020 Sport is going to have a digital dash, but the current gen does not. I was a bit disappointed (we test drove a Platinum since they didn't have any sports).

Re: Is It My Turn Now?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:30 pm
by alienviking
As much as domestic cars have improved, I still think they are a bit behind when it comes to fit and finish. Nothing really bad about that and not really knocking them since they have improved immensely, but imo I still believe Audi has the best interior in the business. Well unless you go up to a Bentley or something hah.

Re: Is It My Turn Now?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:35 pm
by DCIV
You bought it /thread.


Woot.

Coop

Re: Is It My Turn Now?

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:23 pm
by ChargerX3
[quote=""Monochrome""]You get a tax credit when you trade in your car. Say you trade in your $40k car for a $44k car. You only pay taxes on the remaining $4k.

It’s not nearly as bad as you think.[/quote]

It’s the depreciation that’s the killer.