2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

If you're looking for a place to direct your vehicular thoughts, you've found it.

Moderator: Monochrome

Post Reply
User avatar
vr4
Posts: 14538
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:32 am
Location: WA
Contact:

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by vr4 »

[quote=""Hans_GZP""]Yea. Arnott. I show a full set in stock locally.[/quote]

For the sl65 I see them all over the country thru worldpac. E55 shows 4 sets local. Thru IMC I see 3 full sets within a day.... Except the right rear. Those are in MD
DOGE
User avatar
Hans_GZP
Posts: 6611
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: Easton, PA
Contact:

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by Hans_GZP »

[quote=""vr4""]For the sl65 I see them all over the country thru worldpac. E55 shows 4 sets local. Thru IMC I see 3 full sets within a day.... Except the right rear. Those are in MD[/quote]

Yea. I only looked on world pac for what I could get that day. Plenty around the country.
First to 184 million :lol:
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by Jeff V. »

I really feel like you guys are trying to trick me into falling into a money pit :suspect2:
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
vr4
Posts: 14538
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:32 am
Location: WA
Contact:

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by vr4 »

[quote=""Jeff V.""]I really feel like you guys are trying to trick me into falling into a money pit :suspect2: [/quote]

No need to. You already have an s5
DOGE
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by Jeff V. »

I've paid more for optional upgrades than I have for warranty deductibles. Either way, it's getting sold soon.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by Jeff V. »

2/13/2017 $34,501 :grumble:
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by Jeff V. »

It's still there :runaway:

:banghead:
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
happygeek
Posts: 4663
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:08 pm
Location: Back at The Center of the Universe

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by happygeek »

Probably a sign that you should give a low bid a shot :lol:
All gave some, some gave all.

America is not at war, the US military is. America is at the mall.
User avatar
Duck Vader
Posts: 18820
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by Duck Vader »

[quote=""happygeek""]Probably a sign that you should give a low bid a shot WALK AWAY :lol: [/quote]
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by Jeff V. »

I can't find any examples of a major failure on one of these cars. It's all roof cylinder leakage due to dried out seals, and the ABC suspension stuff. Both of which seem to have fairly good aftermarket repair options. :d ontknow:

Not that there's a big pool of data to draw from. It looks like they only built ~1800 05-07 SL65s, and only ~1300 for the US. Only 10% of those were colors other than black or silver.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
Hans_GZP
Posts: 6611
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: Easton, PA
Contact:

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by Hans_GZP »

Well, the ABC system is the same on pretty much all of the models. Common failures are mostly cheap to fix. I have a sagging front right strut on mine I still need to fix. It's just the valve block, for which I already have a rebuilt one ready to go. Rebuilding them costs about $12 and takes about 15 minutes to do.
First to 184 million :lol:
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by Jeff V. »

I really wonder how much more these things can realistically depreciate. SL55s are in the low 20s. Non AMG models are even cheaper. Market value for this car looks to be closer to 30 than 34.

Given what I've learned, I could probably accept the cost of repairs. Especially when it's work on a unique, 600hp hardtop convertible. My biggest worry is being utterly upside down on a loan, and not being able to get rid of it if something goes wrong. I'm overpaying on my Audi by a significant amount and I'm still barely keeping pace with the depreciation. Even that wouldn't be so bad if I planned on keeping it. It's a great car...but it's not an exciting car.

I could honestly see myself keeping an SL65 for a long ass time. But I'm not going to be a financial slave to a broken car ever again.

The fact that I'm even having to ask myself these questions means it's probably something I should give up on.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
Hans_GZP
Posts: 6611
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: Easton, PA
Contact:

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by Hans_GZP »

Yea. It's a tough decision. What's great about them is the bulletproof drivetrain. They have an extremely low amount of common occurring issues. The tools are available to repair it by yourself. Parts are really not that expensive because many are common across multiple platforms.
First to 184 million :lol:
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by Jeff V. »

The car has been gone for a while. It's still on my mind.

I have a very real feeling this car might become "the one that got away".
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
stealthee
Posts: 5064
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:06 am
Location: SWPA
Contact:

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by stealthee »

I think my "one that got away" was the TSI that I actually owned. Had I not been burned by AVPro I might actually still have that car.

Ironically my cousin showed me one on a FB ad yesterday that was a twin to my old one. It was a good deal for everything it came with, but its in Iowa, and I am trying to finish the Stealth before I even think of buying another car.
Image
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by Jeff V. »

Talk about bad decisions.

SL65 Kleemann.

http://www.aristocratmotors.com/vehicle ... d-20289953

Without knowing exactly which package it has, all I can say is it's somewhere between 675-705hp, and over 800 ft-lbs of torque. :d rool:

I don't care what color it is.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26790
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by DCIV »

Does it have the same head bolt issues?


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
happygeek
Posts: 4663
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:08 pm
Location: Back at The Center of the Universe

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by happygeek »

Getting it?
All gave some, some gave all.

America is not at war, the US military is. America is at the mall.
User avatar
mjannusch
Posts: 4540
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 8:00 pm
Location: Hudson, WI

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by mjannusch »

Gotta say, yeah - that's a sweet ride.
-Matt
'21 Corvette Stingray HTC Z51
'95 3000GT Spyder VR4 (11.838@117.56)
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by Jeff V. »

Coop wrote:Does it have the same head bolt issues?
No. Totally different engine.
Richard wrote:Getting it?
I wish, but no. It's hard though. It's really close by. Pretty much across the highway from the Carmax where I bought my Audi.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
Post Reply