Page 5 of 8

Re: Lets talk timing

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:22 pm
by DCIV
I'm still gonna take it apart as I want to know if there is a lot of timing belt wrapped around it, or it failed. Never got hot, or made tons of noise. It's not oem though looking at them side by side.

On a side note, I want to go back to stock marks on my timing gears (have jackhammer gears) but his drill makes and the oem ones are so alike I don't know which one is what, any suggestions?

Coop

Re: Lets talk timing

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:39 pm
by ChargerX3
Check its deflection. If its not straight then you know its the issue. The fact that it doesn't turn makes me almost certain the bearing failed making it drop the pulley. They don't always make a noise before crapping the bed.

Re: Lets talk timing

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:54 pm
by jackhammer
The stock settings are white in these pics.....

Image
Image

Re: Lets talk timing

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:00 pm
by DCIV
It's all timed. This was a pain because of nelsons motor plate and drivers motor mount needing to come off. Had to put the engine puller on it, normally this isn't a big deal but how the car is in the garage I'm using I had to set up the lift, take the legs off, put them back on once I slid them under the car. Just a pain.

Gonna button everything up and try to start it. Should be interesting.


Coop

Re: Lets talk timing

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:23 pm
by DCIV
Well.....she wouldn't start. Gonna go get a compression tester and verify what I already know.


Coop

Re: Lets talk timing

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:41 pm
by ChargerX3
Dont tell your wife the news.

Re: Lets talk timing

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:53 pm
by DCIV
[quote=""ChargerX3""]Dont tell your wife the news.[/quote]

she told me if I sold one of the vr4's I could buy this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-WRX-WRX- ... 1792607717

Makes me want to as well because the crv radiator is leaking, the air doesnt work, its got 175k miles, my vr4 doesnt run. But at the same time, I am trying to get this house stuff going and thats not cheap...its just not the right time to be buying things.


Coop

Re: Lets talk timing

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:08 pm
by ChargerX3
Dont bail now. All that work in just to leave? You are almost there.

/cheer

Re: Lets talk timing

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:11 pm
by tabasco122
thats not a bad price. make sure you throw a tune on it asap

Re: Lets talk timing

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:14 pm
by DCIV
[quote=""ChargerX3""]Dont bail now. All that work in just to leave? You are almost there.

/cheer[/quote]

I have two of these things and I can't even keep one running. I will sell the other one eventually. I wanted to take the sunroof off of it and put it on my car like toni as thats the only reason I like that car. I am not ever getting rid of this car though.

[quote=""tabasco122""]thats not a bad price. make sure you throw a tune on it asap[/quote]

base tune just suck or do they tend to blow themselves up?

Coop

Re: Lets talk timing

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:17 pm
by tabasco122
They have ringland issues due to the oem tune running lean when transitioning from closed loop to open. It tries to target stioch a bit too long, so you are hitting 14.6ish afr under load/boost which causes detonation and destroyed ringlands. I wouldnt own an 08+ without just a basic off the shelf canned tune at the very least.

Re: Lets talk timing

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:24 pm
by DCIV
Good to know. Did any wrx's come with an automatic awd? I seem to remember they had some paddle shifter auto at one point.


Coop

Re: Lets talk timing

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:25 pm
by tabasco122
i think some wrx's came auto, not sure which years. Also, thats not a limited. Just has a trunk swap it looks like. Limiteds have a plaque on the center console, and 99% of them have sunroof and leather seats.

Re: Lets talk timing

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:33 pm
by tabasco122
actually, new ones dont have plaques, but they do have different wheels and leather/sunroof standard. It basically has none of the stuff that makes it "limited" aside from the lack of huge spoiler lol.

Re: Lets talk timing

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:43 pm
by aaronatstate
[quote=""DCIV""]Good to know. Did any wrx's come with an automatic awd? I seem to remember they had some paddle shifter auto at one point.


Coop[/quote]

All WRX's had/have an auto option available. The STi's are manual only, but the WRX has an auto option.

Re: Lets talk timing

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:47 pm
by Duck Vader
[quote=""aaronatstate""]All WRX's had/have an auto option available. The STi's are manual only, but the WRX has an auto option.[/quote]

Yep. This man speaks the truth. BUT it is a CVT.

Re: Lets talk timing

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:56 pm
by tabasco122
only the new ones are cvt

Re: Lets talk timing

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:07 pm
by Duck Vader
[quote=""tabasco122""]only the new ones are cvt[/quote]

2015 and newer. But in all honesty, I have not heard anything bad about them. I just wish they still made a hatchback wrx. If they did I would think about buying one with the CVT.

Re: Lets talk timing

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:43 am
by mjannusch
A little side question since the Gates timing belts were brought up in this thread...

On the 6G75, the OEM belts supposedly now are Kevlar belts with a 105,000 mile service interval. Are the Gates belts that come in the timing set kits (water pump, pulleys, etc.) also kevlar or are they whatever the "standard" stuff is? Are the blue racing belts the only ones that are kevlar? Does it matter?

Re: Lets talk timing

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:26 am
by stealthee
IMO the belt isn't what I would worry about on the service interval. It everything the belt turns on. The water pump, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, etc are usually the failure point anyway, not the belt.