Let's try Ford now.

If you're looking for a place to direct your vehicular thoughts, you've found it.

Moderator: Monochrome

Post Reply
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15952
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Let's try Ford now.

Post by Chris GTO TT »

Is it extra hard on a Fiat?
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25429
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: Let's try Ford now.

Post by Jeff V. »

The previous owner of my truck took the tow hooks off for reasons unknown. If it was for aesthetic reasons, they half assed it, because there's two ugly holes in the air dam.

So I checked the parts catalog and found there's a tow hook that fits every full sized Ford truck and utility from 07 to 24. A quick trip to the junkyard gave me a nice cheap set off a 2010 Expedition.

Except, it didn't. Who can tell me what's wrong with this setup?

Image

Image
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15952
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Let's try Ford now.

Post by Chris GTO TT »

Perhaps I'm blind but looks like my last 2 trucks :dontknow:
User avatar
aaronatstate
Posts: 9890
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:52 pm
Location: Arkansas

Re: Let's try Ford now.

Post by aaronatstate »

Yeah not sure I can tell either :dontknow:
Image
Chr15t0ph3r85: YES
Chr15t0ph3r85: GOOO STATE
:)
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25429
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: Let's try Ford now.

Post by Jeff V. »

There's not enough room between the loop and the painted bumper to attach much of anything.

There are two different hooks. This is the one I got from the Expedition.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/body/ ... 54aa?pdp=y

Ford Expedition 2007 - 2024
Lincoln Navigator 2007 - 2024
Ford F-150 2009 - 2014
Lincoln Mark LT 2009 - 2014
Ford F-150 2017 - 2024
Ford F-150/Lobo 2017 - 2024

This is the one I should have gotten.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/body/ ... 954e?pdp=y

Ford F-150 2015 - 2024
Ford F-150/Lobo 2015 - 2024

On the first one, see how the loop is welded higher up on the bracket closer to the 90* bend? The loop is mounted lower on the 2nd version.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15952
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Let's try Ford now.

Post by Chris GTO TT »

Ah interesting. Mine are fairly close to the bumper too so without a side by side it's hard to see the difference.
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26794
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Let's try Ford now.

Post by DCIV »

Looks pretty centered though. I would be surprised if the other one is much different. I would keep what you have incase you like them better. Could always use just a strap to go around if needed.


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
aaronatstate
Posts: 9890
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:52 pm
Location: Arkansas

Re: Let's try Ford now.

Post by aaronatstate »

So basically all the hooks fit all those models, but some are higher or lower depending on bumper/trim level?
Image
Chr15t0ph3r85: YES
Chr15t0ph3r85: GOOO STATE
:)
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25429
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: Let's try Ford now.

Post by Jeff V. »

That's the best guess I have based on the limited info in the descriptions.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
vr4
Posts: 14539
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:32 am
Location: WA
Contact:

Re: Let's try Ford now.

Post by vr4 »

aaronatstate wrote: ↑Mon Aug 12, 2024 12:47 pm So basically all the hooks fit all those models, but some are higher or lower depending on bumper/trim level?
my thoughts also
DOGE
User avatar
ChargerX3
Posts: 12490
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:51 pm
Location: Reno

Re: Let's try Ford now.

Post by ChargerX3 »

Chris GTO TT wrote: ↑Fri Aug 09, 2024 3:31 pm Is it extra hard on a Fiat?
I'm not expert on aluminum cans, but steel can take a bit more effort. :pop:
Image
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15952
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Let's try Ford now.

Post by Chris GTO TT »

ChargerX3 wrote: ↑Mon Aug 12, 2024 4:59 pm
Chris GTO TT wrote: ↑Fri Aug 09, 2024 3:31 pm Is it extra hard on a Fiat?
I'm not expert on aluminum cans, but steel can take a bit more effort. :pop:
you would be an expert on rusted out junkers :derr:
User avatar
ChargerX3
Posts: 12490
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:51 pm
Location: Reno

Re: Let's try Ford now.

Post by ChargerX3 »

And which "rusted out junkers" might those be? :roll:
Image
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15952
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Let's try Ford now.

Post by Chris GTO TT »

those steel cans you like to talk about :suspect: :D
User avatar
ChargerX3
Posts: 12490
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:51 pm
Location: Reno

Re: Let's try Ford now.

Post by ChargerX3 »

Oh so all my cars, or just some are rusted junkers? :shake:
Image
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25429
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: Let's try Ford now.

Post by Jeff V. »

I finally got around to setting up my new HP Tuners so I could dump the current tune out of my truck. I have two reasons for this. One, I want to know if it's stock or tuned. Two, if it is tuned, I want to back it up so I can get the emissions recall done and off the vehicle history.

It was....anti-climactic.

For starters, it takes 10 minutes to read out. It's only about 2.5 min on the Corvette. Both engine computers have the same flash size (4MB) so I guess Ford's communication protocols are just less efficient?

Anyway, there's no good way to see if this is stock or not. There are no 2.7 Ecoboost tunes on HPTs repository. The CVNs and checksums I'd use to check for modified code on a GM car don't exist on Ford, or they're just not publicly documented.

I do have a copy of the original Ford firmware for my truck, but there's no easy way to compare it to what I pulled out of the PCM since HPT encrypts everything in their own proprietary format.

So....yeah. All I learned is a few more things I still need to learn.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25429
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: Let's try Ford now.

Post by Jeff V. »

After communing with dark powers and reading forbidden texts, I have acquired a tool that converts HPT files back to raw binaries. Those can be compared directly to the files from the Ford support site.

The damn truck is stock. I'm stunned. Guess I can get that recall done now.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
aaronatstate
Posts: 9890
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:52 pm
Location: Arkansas

Re: Let's try Ford now.

Post by aaronatstate »

Good to know it’s not tuned!

Now it’s time to tune it :evillaugh:
Image
Chr15t0ph3r85: YES
Chr15t0ph3r85: GOOO STATE
:)
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15952
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Let's try Ford now.

Post by Chris GTO TT »

Jeff V. wrote: ↑Tue Aug 20, 2024 1:52 pm After communing with dark powers and reading forbidden texts, I have acquired a tool that converts HPT files back to raw binaries. Those can be compared directly to the files from the Ford support site.

The damn truck is stock. I'm stunned. Guess I can get that recall done now.
It's not stock for long ... :lol:
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26794
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Let's try Ford now.

Post by DCIV »

Nice!!!


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
Post Reply