So yeah it’s got the capacity to cool a full 4 door cab version
Let's try Ford now.
Moderator: Monochrome
- aaronatstate
- Posts: 9890
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:52 pm
- Location: Arkansas
Re: Let's try Ford now.
For 2017, all engine options get 24oz of 1234yf. Though in the owners manual the Ecoboost engine capacities say 24oz and the NA engines say 1.5lbs 
So yeah it’s got the capacity to cool a full 4 door cab version
So yeah it’s got the capacity to cool a full 4 door cab version

Chr15t0ph3r85: YES
Chr15t0ph3r85: GOOO STATE
- aaronatstate
- Posts: 9890
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:52 pm
- Location: Arkansas
Re: Let's try Ford now.
Why does YF get all the hate? The YF system in my RS works just as good, if not better than the 134A system in my Stealth or the wifes Explorer.

Chr15t0ph3r85: YES
Chr15t0ph3r85: GOOO STATE
Re: Let's try Ford now.
servicing. yes they work just fine but when it comes to repairing.....yf stands for youre fuckedaaronatstate wrote: ↑Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:51 pm Why does YF get all the hate? The YF system in my RS works just as good, if not better than the 134A system in my Stealth or the wifes Explorer.
DOGE
- aaronatstate
- Posts: 9890
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:52 pm
- Location: Arkansas
Re: Let's try Ford now.
Why, just because it needs a separate unit to service it? Generally curious, as it's going to be come the standard at somepoint.vr4 wrote: ↑Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:27 pmservicing. yes they work just fine but when it comes to repairing.....yf stands for youre fuckedaaronatstate wrote: ↑Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:51 pm Why does YF get all the hate? The YF system in my RS works just as good, if not better than the 134A system in my Stealth or the wifes Explorer.

Chr15t0ph3r85: YES
Chr15t0ph3r85: GOOO STATE
Re: Let's try Ford now.
cost of the refrigerant (my cost is 49/lb. 134 is just under 9/lb), self checks and tests the machine forces you to do before any charging can be done, etc. on 134 a complete recovery, vacuum, leak check, and charge takes 20-30 minutes. yf...60-90. o2 sensor that is built into the recovery machine fails after roughly 15-20hrs of use and costs about 600 bucks. machine will not operate without it.aaronatstate wrote: ↑Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:55 pmWhy, just because it needs a separate unit to service it? Generally curious, as it's going to be come the standard at somepoint.vr4 wrote: ↑Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:27 pmservicing. yes they work just fine but when it comes to repairing.....yf stands for youre fuckedaaronatstate wrote: ↑Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:51 pm Why does YF get all the hate? The YF system in my RS works just as good, if not better than the 134A system in my Stealth or the wifes Explorer.
ive heard of people charging with 134 and not having any problems but i wont do it.
DOGE
- aaronatstate
- Posts: 9890
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:52 pm
- Location: Arkansas
Re: Let's try Ford now.
Yeah I assume those extra checks are because of the increased flammability of the YF as compared to 134a. I get the cost is high right now, but that will definitely go down as YF becomes more mass produced. 134a was more expensive than R12 at one point too. Yeah I wouldn't charge with the wrong stuff either (I haven't read anything about any potential side effects). Everything I've read has said that while YF will become the standard, 134a is not going to go anywhere. It's not like when 134a replaced R12.vr4 wrote: ↑Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:02 pmcost of the refrigerant (my cost is 49/lb. 134 is just under 9/lb), self checks and tests the machine forces you to do before any charging can be done, etc. on 134 a complete recovery, vacuum, leak check, and charge takes 20-30 minutes. yf...60-90. o2 sensor that is built into the recovery machine fails after roughly 15-20hrs of use and costs about 600 bucks. machine will not operate without it.aaronatstate wrote: ↑Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:55 pmWhy, just because it needs a separate unit to service it? Generally curious, as it's going to be come the standard at somepoint.
ive heard of people charging with 134 and not having any problems but i wont do it.

Chr15t0ph3r85: YES
Chr15t0ph3r85: GOOO STATE
Re: Let's try Ford now.
Maybe I'll just do what sane people do and trade it in after 3 years.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
--Naomi Nagata
- Chris GTO TT
- Posts: 15950
- Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
- Location: Sacramento
Re: Let's try Ford now.
If we decide to sell our travel trailer then I'll be trading it in
- aaronatstate
- Posts: 9890
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:52 pm
- Location: Arkansas
- Chris GTO TT
- Posts: 15950
- Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
- Location: Sacramento
Re: Let's try Ford now.
New style ac refrigerant
Re: Let's try Ford now.
R-1234yf. The latest ozone safe crap as of ~2015.
At least until everyone decides that's also bad and then moves on to something like Mercedes' R744 carbon dioxide refrigerant.
At least until everyone decides that's also bad and then moves on to something like Mercedes' R744 carbon dioxide refrigerant.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
--Naomi Nagata
- aaronatstate
- Posts: 9890
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:52 pm
- Location: Arkansas
Re: Let's try Ford now.
The good thing with the yf is at least as of right now how the decide how good something is, it’s gonna be hard to beat yf. They use this global warming potential which equates stuff to carbon dioxide. R134 is like 1550 on that scale, 1234yf is less than 1, and R744 is 1 (because it is just CO2). So hopefully it’s here for a while.

Chr15t0ph3r85: YES
Chr15t0ph3r85: GOOO STATE
Re: Let's try Ford now.
Can you mix the two refigerants? Wonder if my Ram has it instead of 134. Its a 17.

Re: Let's try Ford now.
NO.
could be either one. thats right when they started changing over. check the underhood sticker.
DOGE
Re: Let's try Ford now.
Bagged a set of "used" Morimoto foglights on ebay for $50. They're not even dirty. I wonder if they were just something someone sent back before they were even installed. I think that's everything to purge the chrome from the truck. I just need to get my headlights back together so I can install it all.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
--Naomi Nagata
- aaronatstate
- Posts: 9890
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:52 pm
- Location: Arkansas
Re: Let's try Ford now.
The weather was really nice last night, so I made the decision to finally install my new lights and grille. I had to take almost the entire front end off to do it, but it really wasn't all that hard. The chrome-ectomy is almost complete.
I also replaced the busted, faded grille while I had it apart.







I took a quick ride around the neighborhood after it got dark. It's lit pretty well here, but the difference in lighting was still pretty drastic. I need to find a level place to tweak the beam adjustment. It's close, but I think It can still be tweaked a bit. My driveway has too much of a slope to do it correctly.
Next up will be the black badges.







I took a quick ride around the neighborhood after it got dark. It's lit pretty well here, but the difference in lighting was still pretty drastic. I need to find a level place to tweak the beam adjustment. It's close, but I think It can still be tweaked a bit. My driveway has too much of a slope to do it correctly.
Next up will be the black badges.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
--Naomi Nagata
