The saga that will be Coop living with a retired HMMWV.
Moderator: Monochrome
Re: The saga that will be "Coops humvee"
[quote=""Chris95RT""]Man, all these posts on the internet lead me to believe it's basically a 3s in terms of reliability.
So you should be just fine.[/quote]
It was 3/s isk where you saw ones breaking all the time then people saying if you treat them right you should be good. What I like is they are all mechanical. Makes chasing down issues a little easier.
Coop
So you should be just fine.[/quote]
It was 3/s isk where you saw ones breaking all the time then people saying if you treat them right you should be good. What I like is they are all mechanical. Makes chasing down issues a little easier.
Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
Re: The saga that will be "Coops humvee"
[quote=""Jeff V.""]Or they just swapped over the dashboard from a donor truck and you've really got a 1986 with one bazillion miles 
In all seriousness though, there's another sticker that says "Maine RS Maintenance Center" and has a completion date of 31 May 2007.
These are good signs.[/quote]
These are, honestly the inside looks pretty good and it was a national guard truck so I bet it didn't get used a WHOLE lot. With it also been gone totally through 10 years ago, I should be good to go for a while. I am getting more excited but this 12 week wait for background check is going to kill me. Wonder if there is a special insurance place for just old military equipment?
Coop
In all seriousness though, there's another sticker that says "Maine RS Maintenance Center" and has a completion date of 31 May 2007.
These are good signs.[/quote]
These are, honestly the inside looks pretty good and it was a national guard truck so I bet it didn't get used a WHOLE lot. With it also been gone totally through 10 years ago, I should be good to go for a while. I am getting more excited but this 12 week wait for background check is going to kill me. Wonder if there is a special insurance place for just old military equipment?
Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
Re: The saga that will be "Coops humvee"
Hell I see them on the road here all the time. One guy has at least 2 and a deuce and a half.
Another guy has at least 3 unimogs. Plated and driven
Another guy has at least 3 unimogs. Plated and driven
DOGE
Re: The saga that will be "Coops humvee"
Nice. Not as cool as a Raider but still cool.
In all seriousness though I thought building the house exhausted all your funds?
In all seriousness though I thought building the house exhausted all your funds?

Re: The saga that will be "Coops humvee"
The house sucks because it's bill after bill that just keeps hitting you and higher than expected. If I told you the amount I went over you would shit yourself. I still had some in saving but never knew if I would tomorrow. The house is done so I can move forward with my life.
Going today to figure out this wire transfer. Also have a doc apt, need drivers license updated, oh and I have a swim meet tomorrow. Not like I have a ton todo. :eyesroll:
Coop
Going today to figure out this wire transfer. Also have a doc apt, need drivers license updated, oh and I have a swim meet tomorrow. Not like I have a ton todo. :eyesroll:
Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
Re: The saga that will be "Coops humvee"
Read the AR15 thread!Coop wrote:Wonder if there is a special insurance place for just old military equipment?
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
--Naomi Nagata
Re: The saga that will be "Coops humvee"
Gah. I will, just have zero time these days.
Coop
Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
Re: The saga that will be "Coops humvee"
So he says he has seen TN license plates on these and my current insurance company will cover it. Just hoops to jump through really. All this seems like better and better news.
Coop
Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
Re: The saga that will be "Coops humvee"
My mom works at a bank. Here's what I asked her about the wire transfer.
"He'll need the name of their bank, their ABA or routing number, the account number, the name and address of the person on the account, and the address of the receiving bank. He'll also need the same info for himself"
GovPlanet should be able to provide you with all of the info from their end. If you go to your own bank, they should be able to take care of the rest. My mom's bank charges $25 for their wire transfers. Doesn't sound like it's a big deal.
"He'll need the name of their bank, their ABA or routing number, the account number, the name and address of the person on the account, and the address of the receiving bank. He'll also need the same info for himself"
GovPlanet should be able to provide you with all of the info from their end. If you go to your own bank, they should be able to take care of the rest. My mom's bank charges $25 for their wire transfers. Doesn't sound like it's a big deal.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
--Naomi Nagata
Re: The saga that will be "Coops humvee"
[quote=""DCIV""]It was 3/s isk where you saw ones breaking all the time then people saying if you treat them right you should be good. What I like is they are all mechanical. Makes chasing down issues a little easier.
Coop[/quote]
Weeellllll, I dunno most of the military people who worked on those don't seem super thrilled about them.
Read that thread for where to get parts.
Coop[/quote]
Weeellllll, I dunno most of the military people who worked on those don't seem super thrilled about them.
Read that thread for where to get parts.

Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young. -Ford
Re: The saga that will be "Coops humvee"
I have a friend, was a swimmer of mine and then coach, that has had the non military version. He told me where they get parts, have very little issue with it, and I've drove it.
Coop
Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
Re: The saga that will be "Coops humvee"
I know it sounds like I'm throwing shade, but I'm not- just seems like they're basket cases but military people like to self indulge in the 'we have shit equipment' attitude as a part of gatekeeping so I wouldn't know if this is well deserved or not. Perhaps the the non military version is a better produced one?
Or the military ones have seen some shit.
Either way, you get 12 weeks to ponder this.
Or the military ones have seen some shit.
Either way, you get 12 weeks to ponder this.
Last edited by Chris95RT on Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young. -Ford
Re: The saga that will be "Coops humvee"
Just did the wire transfer. There is no turning back. That seems very old school btw.
Coop
Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
Re: The saga that will be "Coops humvee"
I got curious and decided to look up what that MWO plaque means.
MMA = Maine Military Authority. It looks like MMA only did a few of the rebuilds, per the article I have linked below.
MMA a website straight out of 1998
http://www.mainemilitaryauthority.com/
This explains the overhaul process pretty well. There's lots of historical and military procurement talk, but here's the highlights.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... -recap.htm
The goal for the overhaul was to give the truck another 10 years of life. So it makes sense that your truck is being sold in 2017, having been overhauled in 2007.
The overhaul was originally envisioned to be an entirely new powertrain and upgraded frame, but due to budget constraints, was scaled back to be "an engine and drive train rebuild and a focused component inspect, repair and replace process"
This upgraded the M998s to the heavier duty M1097 spec. This was intended to allow them to install armor if needed.
Also from the article:
Now, on to those MWOs
MWO 9-2320-280-20-1 Trk, 1 1/4 Ton, M998 Series ADDS POWER STEERING COOLER
MWO 9-2320-280-35-1 Trk, 1 1/4 Ton, M998 Series PARKING BRAKE LOCATION CHANGE (converts from standalone parking brake to parking brake built into main brakes)
MWO 9-2320-280-35-2 HMMWV, Seatbelt, M998/1038/1037/1042/1035/966/1036/1025/1021 3 POINT SEATBELTS
Honestly, those 3 mods seem like it was meant for transporting NG troops over normal roads.
You bought a street Humvee
There's also thousands of pages of service and parts manuals, all straight from the Army. So diagnosing any problems should be straightforward. The only issue may be getting your hands on the actual replacement parts.
MMA = Maine Military Authority. It looks like MMA only did a few of the rebuilds, per the article I have linked below.
Red River Army Depot had converted 16,745 vehicles, the Letterkenny Army Depot had converted 14,058, and the Maine Military Authority had converted 1210.
MMA a website straight out of 1998
http://www.mainemilitaryauthority.com/
This explains the overhaul process pretty well. There's lots of historical and military procurement talk, but here's the highlights.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... -recap.htm
The goal for the overhaul was to give the truck another 10 years of life. So it makes sense that your truck is being sold in 2017, having been overhauled in 2007.
The overhaul was originally envisioned to be an entirely new powertrain and upgraded frame, but due to budget constraints, was scaled back to be "an engine and drive train rebuild and a focused component inspect, repair and replace process"
This upgraded the M998s to the heavier duty M1097 spec. This was intended to allow them to install armor if needed.
Also from the article:
No wonder we didn't bother bringing them back. Maybe this is where Chris is getting his reliability quotes from. With your being a National Guard vehicle, it's probably pretty solid.The projected life cyle of an HMMWV at the time was 13 years, but they last no more than 2 in Iraq. The high operational tempo in Iraq led to the determination that 30 days of sustained operations there equated to a full year of operations under the conditions used to project the vehicle's initial life cycle.
Now, on to those MWOs
MWO 9-2320-280-20-1 Trk, 1 1/4 Ton, M998 Series ADDS POWER STEERING COOLER
MWO 9-2320-280-35-1 Trk, 1 1/4 Ton, M998 Series PARKING BRAKE LOCATION CHANGE (converts from standalone parking brake to parking brake built into main brakes)
MWO 9-2320-280-35-2 HMMWV, Seatbelt, M998/1038/1037/1042/1035/966/1036/1025/1021 3 POINT SEATBELTS
Honestly, those 3 mods seem like it was meant for transporting NG troops over normal roads.
You bought a street Humvee
There's also thousands of pages of service and parts manuals, all straight from the Army. So diagnosing any problems should be straightforward. The only issue may be getting your hands on the actual replacement parts.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
--Naomi Nagata
Re: The saga that will be "Coops humvee"
There you go coop, a street worthy red-neck-mobile for a fraction of the cost!

Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young. -Ford
Re: The saga that will be "Coops humvee"
A guy on one of the Humvee forums called MMA and this is what they allegedly told him about the overhaul.
They installed a new factory GM 6.5 engine. Transmission is new as well. All other components were remanufactured. It was a M998 2man and it was converted to a M998 4man when it left back in 2007. Complete frame off refurbishment. Frame was blasted and painted as well as rust coated.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
--Naomi Nagata
Re: The saga that will be "Coops humvee"
[quote=""Jeff V.""]I got curious and decided to look up what that MWO plaque means.
MMA = Maine Military Authority. It looks like MMA only did a few of the rebuilds, per the article I have linked below.
MMA a website straight out of 1998
http://www.mainemilitaryauthority.com/
This explains the overhaul process pretty well. There's lots of historical and military procurement talk, but here's the highlights.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... -recap.htm
The goal for the overhaul was to give the truck another 10 years of life. So it makes sense that your truck is being sold in 2017, having been overhauled in 2007.
The overhaul was originally envisioned to be an entirely new powertrain and upgraded frame, but due to budget constraints, was scaled back to be "an engine and drive train rebuild and a focused component inspect, repair and replace process"
This upgraded the M998s to the heavier duty M1097 spec. This was intended to allow them to install armor if needed.
Also from the article:
No wonder we didn't bother bringing them back. Maybe this is where Chris is getting his reliability quotes from. With your being a National Guard vehicle, it's probably pretty solid.
Now, on to those MWOs
MWO 9-2320-280-20-1 Trk, 1 1/4 Ton, M998 Series ADDS POWER STEERING COOLER
MWO 9-2320-280-35-1 Trk, 1 1/4 Ton, M998 Series PARKING BRAKE LOCATION CHANGE (converts from standalone parking brake to parking brake built into main brakes)
MWO 9-2320-280-35-2 HMMWV, Seatbelt, M998/1038/1037/1042/1035/966/1036/1025/1021 3 POINT SEATBELTS
Honestly, those 3 mods seem like it was meant for transporting NG troops over normal roads.
You bought a street Humvee
There's also thousands of pages of service and parts manuals, all straight from the Army. So diagnosing any problems should be straightforward. The only issue may be getting your hands on the actual replacement parts.[/quote]
Your searches are better than mine, I did read about what the numbers on the tags meant and knew it got a new engine given its pretty much the first year and has the 6.5. I also liked how this parking break has a release and I knew it was a national guard one as well. The seats are also upgraded, you can see some sort of cross hatching for impact on them.
Wonder why the drivers side from tire is low...it should have an air system that connects them all so if one is low they all should be. Maybe also the picture was taken pre starting and it inflated itself but doubtful. I really doubt there were a lot of miles put on it as in 07 they could have had a 4 speed humvee and this one might have been driven around the base or for someone to go around town. Sucks you can't tell how many actual miles are on it.
Love the oil specs actually, there is one spot that says it has blowby and its visible...I have watched that video multiple times at different resolutions and I can not see ANYTHING. I also read an article about how someone wanted to turbo his (I was looking at transmission stuff and can make it a 4 speed for about 3.5k and ac for about 2k) and they said there is no vacuum? So can't run the wastegates without a vacuum pump....it was really weird.
[quote=""Chris95RT""]There you go coop, a street worthy red-neck-mobile for a fraction of the cost![/quote]
Chris....how did you know that is EXACTLY what I wanted?!
Coop
MMA = Maine Military Authority. It looks like MMA only did a few of the rebuilds, per the article I have linked below.
MMA a website straight out of 1998
http://www.mainemilitaryauthority.com/
This explains the overhaul process pretty well. There's lots of historical and military procurement talk, but here's the highlights.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... -recap.htm
The goal for the overhaul was to give the truck another 10 years of life. So it makes sense that your truck is being sold in 2017, having been overhauled in 2007.
The overhaul was originally envisioned to be an entirely new powertrain and upgraded frame, but due to budget constraints, was scaled back to be "an engine and drive train rebuild and a focused component inspect, repair and replace process"
This upgraded the M998s to the heavier duty M1097 spec. This was intended to allow them to install armor if needed.
Also from the article:
No wonder we didn't bother bringing them back. Maybe this is where Chris is getting his reliability quotes from. With your being a National Guard vehicle, it's probably pretty solid.
Now, on to those MWOs
MWO 9-2320-280-20-1 Trk, 1 1/4 Ton, M998 Series ADDS POWER STEERING COOLER
MWO 9-2320-280-35-1 Trk, 1 1/4 Ton, M998 Series PARKING BRAKE LOCATION CHANGE (converts from standalone parking brake to parking brake built into main brakes)
MWO 9-2320-280-35-2 HMMWV, Seatbelt, M998/1038/1037/1042/1035/966/1036/1025/1021 3 POINT SEATBELTS
Honestly, those 3 mods seem like it was meant for transporting NG troops over normal roads.
You bought a street Humvee
There's also thousands of pages of service and parts manuals, all straight from the Army. So diagnosing any problems should be straightforward. The only issue may be getting your hands on the actual replacement parts.[/quote]
Your searches are better than mine, I did read about what the numbers on the tags meant and knew it got a new engine given its pretty much the first year and has the 6.5. I also liked how this parking break has a release and I knew it was a national guard one as well. The seats are also upgraded, you can see some sort of cross hatching for impact on them.
Wonder why the drivers side from tire is low...it should have an air system that connects them all so if one is low they all should be. Maybe also the picture was taken pre starting and it inflated itself but doubtful. I really doubt there were a lot of miles put on it as in 07 they could have had a 4 speed humvee and this one might have been driven around the base or for someone to go around town. Sucks you can't tell how many actual miles are on it.
Love the oil specs actually, there is one spot that says it has blowby and its visible...I have watched that video multiple times at different resolutions and I can not see ANYTHING. I also read an article about how someone wanted to turbo his (I was looking at transmission stuff and can make it a 4 speed for about 3.5k and ac for about 2k) and they said there is no vacuum? So can't run the wastegates without a vacuum pump....it was really weird.
[quote=""Chris95RT""]There you go coop, a street worthy red-neck-mobile for a fraction of the cost![/quote]
Chris....how did you know that is EXACTLY what I wanted?!
Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
Re: The saga that will be "Coops humvee"
[quote=""Jeff V.""]A guy on one of the Humvee forums called MMA and this is what they allegedly told him about the overhaul.[/quote]
yeah I read that, also talked about how they dont have the info to give you the story on your humvee even though they use to be able too. Would be cool to own the folder of where this one has been. The underside is deff rusty for having a coating. You know back in 93 when it snowed really bad a tank with a plow had to come free my subdivision after a week of no one being able to leave. It had two humvee's behind it and they were national guard. Wonder if that was kind of what this one was used for.
Coop
yeah I read that, also talked about how they dont have the info to give you the story on your humvee even though they use to be able too. Would be cool to own the folder of where this one has been. The underside is deff rusty for having a coating. You know back in 93 when it snowed really bad a tank with a plow had to come free my subdivision after a week of no one being able to leave. It had two humvee's behind it and they were national guard. Wonder if that was kind of what this one was used for.
Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
Re: The saga that will be "Coops humvee"
We had a new guy start this week. So now we've got two jacked up brodozer Wranglers that have probably never seen real dirt. It'd be hilarious to roll up in ex-Mil Humvee that probably costs less than the wheels and off road bumpers on those Jeeps 
I wonder if you could get that information via Freedom of Information Act request?Coop wrote:Would be cool to own the folder of where this one has been.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
--Naomi Nagata
Re: The saga that will be "Coops humvee"
Don't do it Jeff!

Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young. -Ford