2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
Moderator: Monochrome
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
It's probably more reliable 
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
--Naomi Nagata
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
[quote=""Duck Vader""]For $35k I much rather have one of these: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/5920658569.html[/quote]
That's like Jeff saying he wants to buy some vintage wine and you come in with wine you bought at Aldi
Sure, they will both get you drunk. But some just do it in a more refined way
That's like Jeff saying he wants to buy some vintage wine and you come in with wine you bought at Aldi
Sure, they will both get you drunk. But some just do it in a more refined way
First to 184 million 
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
[quote=""Jeff V.""]Sounds like you need to open a Mercedes storefront for GZP.[/quote]
My facility isn't "nice" enough to work on Mercedes cars. Maybe in the near future if I ever buy the building.
My facility isn't "nice" enough to work on Mercedes cars. Maybe in the near future if I ever buy the building.
First to 184 million 
- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18820
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
[quote=""Hans_GZP""]That's like Jeff saying he wants to buy some vintage wine and you come in with wine you bought at Aldi 
Sure, they will both get you drunk. But some just do it in a more refined way
[/quote]
That is because the last time I checked I am still American!
Sure, they will both get you drunk. But some just do it in a more refined way
That is because the last time I checked I am still American!
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
[quote=""Duck Vader""]That is because the last time I checked I am still American!
[/quote]
Then you're really missing out accepting the crap they are dishing out to you
Then you're really missing out accepting the crap they are dishing out to you
First to 184 million 
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
I'll put a Camaro ZL1 up against that Benz any day.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
--Naomi Nagata
- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18820
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
[quote=""Hans_GZP""]Then you're really missing out accepting the crap they are dishing out to you
[/quote]
You know I am just messing around, right?
I just don't like Mercs. Never have. But I do like messing with Jeff.
There are plenty of "foreign" manufactures that I like and they make some awesome cars over there.
You know I am just messing around, right?
I just don't like Mercs. Never have. But I do like messing with Jeff.
There are plenty of "foreign" manufactures that I like and they make some awesome cars over there.
- alienviking
- Posts: 10707
- Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:41 pm
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
[quote=""Jeff V.""]I'll put a Camaro ZL1 up against that Benz any day.[/quote]
Performance wise? Sure. Quality of materials etc? Nah.
Performance wise? Sure. Quality of materials etc? Nah.
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
Driving a Merc with the ABC suspension is a whole new world to me. It puts regular coil spring suspensions to shame. Just drive one and see. Take it on the highway and it's almost like driving on glass. They really nailed it with those cars.
And it only took GM a decade or 2 to come close.
And it only took GM a decade or 2 to come close.
First to 184 million 
- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18820
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
[quote=""Hans_GZP""]Driving a Merc with the ABC suspension is a whole new world to me. It puts regular coil spring suspensions to shame. Just drive one and see. Take it on the highway and it's almost like driving on glass. They really nailed it with those cars.
And it only took GM a decade or 2 to come close.[/quote]
I don't think I have ever rode in or driven a Merc. I have been in and rode in many vehicles. From big semis to muscle cars, trucks, sport cars, super cars, hot hatches, family sedans, van, limos, military vehicles, farm equipment, etc. I have been in or driven them all, but never a Merc that I can recall.
And it only took GM a decade or 2 to come close.[/quote]
I don't think I have ever rode in or driven a Merc. I have been in and rode in many vehicles. From big semis to muscle cars, trucks, sport cars, super cars, hot hatches, family sedans, van, limos, military vehicles, farm equipment, etc. I have been in or driven them all, but never a Merc that I can recall.
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
So, you hate on something you have not experienced.
And I'm just messing with you
And I'm just messing with you
First to 184 million 
- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18820
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
[quote=""Hans_GZP""]So, you hate on something you have not experienced.
And I'm just messing with you
[/quote]
It is the looks. I don't like the way they look. :ick:
And I'm just messing with you
It is the looks. I don't like the way they look. :ick:
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
ABC isn't the same thing as GM's Magnetic Ride Control. The first customer ABC car was the 1999 CL. The first GM customer MRC car was the 2002 Seville.Hans wrote:And it only took GM a decade or 2 to come close.
So that's 3 years with two different technologies. Ford, Ferrari, Audi, Range Rover and Acura are all using MRC systems now.
When an MRC system breaks, the recommended fix isn't "cap the lines and replace it with coilovers"
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
--Naomi Nagata
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
[quote=""Jeff V.""]ABC isn't the same thing as GM's Magnetic Ride Control. The first customer ABC car was the 1999 CL. The first GM customer MRC car was the 2002 Seville.
So that's 3 years with two different technologies. Ford, Ferrari, Audi, Range Rover and Acura are all using MRC systems now.
When an MRC system breaks, the recommended fix isn't "cap the lines and replace it with coilovers"
[/quote]
That's not the fix for the hydraulic ABC system either
. That's for the stupid air ride owners that are cheapasses.
So that's 3 years with two different technologies. Ford, Ferrari, Audi, Range Rover and Acura are all using MRC systems now.
When an MRC system breaks, the recommended fix isn't "cap the lines and replace it with coilovers"
That's not the fix for the hydraulic ABC system either
First to 184 million 
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
[quote=""Darkhelmet""]Do itttt[/quote]
+1
Doubly so since you're selling the S5.
+1
Doubly so since you're selling the S5.
All gave some, some gave all.
America is not at war, the US military is. America is at the mall.
America is not at war, the US military is. America is at the mall.
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
Hmm. It sold at a Mecum Auction in Jan 2014 for $50k.
https://www.sportscarmarket.com/wp-cont ... -17-14.pdf Search for: WDBSK79F05F093642
https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0114-17876 ... nvertible/
It hit 42k at a Leake auction in Nov 2013, but failed to sell. https://www.leakecar.com/vehicle/14014/ ... -SL65-AMG/
Now it's $35K, and odds are good they'd go even lower.
https://www.sportscarmarket.com/wp-cont ... -17-14.pdf Search for: WDBSK79F05F093642
https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0114-17876 ... nvertible/
It hit 42k at a Leake auction in Nov 2013, but failed to sell. https://www.leakecar.com/vehicle/14014/ ... -SL65-AMG/
Now it's $35K, and odds are good they'd go even lower.
Last edited by Jeff V. on Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
--Naomi Nagata
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
So what you are saying is that something is seriously wrong with it.
Coop
Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
No. It's just shocking how much the depreciate. KBB and a lot of current ads have them in the low to mid 30s. There's a couple still in the high 40s, but I can't see any noticeable difference the two price groups.
The CL65 AMG had the same engine and was 180k new. I found a couple of those as low as 18k. High 20s and low 30s seems average for those.
The CL65 AMG had the same engine and was 180k new. I found a couple of those as low as 18k. High 20s and low 30s seems average for those.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
--Naomi Nagata
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
[quote=""Jeff V.""]No. It's just shocking how much the depreciate. KBB and a lot of current ads have them in the low to mid 30s. There's a couple still in the high 40s, but I can't see any noticeable difference the two price groups.
The CL65 AMG had the same engine and was 180k new. I found a couple of those as low as 18k. High 20s and low 30s seems average for those.[/quote]
This is exactly why they get branded as heaping piles of shit. They get to an attainable price for the average person to finance but they either have to scrape to get the financing or just can't fathom the cost to maintain a 180k car. Take it to their local shop, get bent over and crap parts are installed, wash rinse repeat.
The CL65 AMG had the same engine and was 180k new. I found a couple of those as low as 18k. High 20s and low 30s seems average for those.[/quote]
This is exactly why they get branded as heaping piles of shit. They get to an attainable price for the average person to finance but they either have to scrape to get the financing or just can't fathom the cost to maintain a 180k car. Take it to their local shop, get bent over and crap parts are installed, wash rinse repeat.
DOGE
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
So if the money was equal, what would you buy? 2014 ZL1 or 2005 SL65 AMG?
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
--Naomi Nagata