Page 3 of 6

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:44 pm
by aaronatstate
[quote=""Hans_GZP""]Yea. I think all of the brake calipers are the same. I'd have to check though. Mercedes always uses massive brakes on their higher end models.[/quote]

It takes a lot to stop a massive tank!

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:41 pm
by Hans_GZP
We took the car down to NC for thanksgiving. Man, this thing is super comfortable. At the same time, switching the suspension to sport mode allows you to carve corners like the car weighs 3400 lbs. I'm sure this car would destroy a stock VR4 through the twisties. Super impressed with it. Just a couple of quirks to work out and the car could be ready for MODIFICATION if I feel the bug come. But, it's super powerful and I don't really see the need for anymore right now

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:38 pm
by Jeff V.
60% more horsepower and double the torque. Yeah, it should be just a little bit faster :p

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:18 pm
by Hans_GZP
And 1000 lbs heavier :p

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:20 am
by Jeff V.
800 :suspect2:

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:07 pm
by Hans_GZP
For the past week, the car had been throwing a CEL for cylinder misfires. Generally on cylinders 5 and 12. Mainly, the misfire would only happen at idle. Once driving, it was totally fine. Then, even though it was firing on all cylinders, it felt sluggish. Slapped my scanner on and the fuel trims showed that they were pulling fuel. Not sure if that data was correct (since that would mean an intake leak) I figured I would start with doing the fuel pump and filter to try to cure the long/hard start issue. Also, I did a trans fluid swap and filter.

After all of that, it's back to normal again. Shifts great. Acceleration is right on point. Totally happy :)

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:10 pm
by DCIV
What you are mainly saying is this car is just as finicky as a vr4.


Coop

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:04 pm
by Hans_GZP
What I'm saying is that there are very few bad cars and far more bad owners.

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:37 pm
by Jeff V.
Yes. I'm sure it's my fault that the hood latch on my Audi froze in the open position this morning.

I popped the hood this morning to look at something, and I couldn't re-latch the hood until I drowned the latch in hot water.

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:32 pm
by Hans_GZP
Sounds like it!

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:02 pm
by Hans_GZP
Had a bad MAP sensor and it turned the car into a dog again. Swapped in a new OEM sensor and found someone had replaced the sensor before me with a non-OEM sensor. It's back to it's normal self again. It did have a code for not only the MAP sensor, but also the thermostat. I'm hoping that's just a fluke and it won't come back :) .

A little video of a 40-80 mph pull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYKz2vrLODY

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:26 am
by vr4
[quote=""Hans_GZP""]For the past week, the car had been throwing a CEL for cylinder misfires. Generally on cylinders 5 and 12. Mainly, the misfire would only happen at idle. Once driving, it was totally fine. Then, even though it was firing on all cylinders, it felt sluggish. Slapped my scanner on and the fuel trims showed that they were pulling fuel. Not sure if that data was correct (since that would mean an intake leak) I figured I would start with doing the fuel pump and filter to try to cure the long/hard start issue. Also, I did a trans fluid swap and filter.

After all of that, it's back to normal again. Shifts great. Acceleration is right on point. Totally happy :) [/quote]
Pulling fuel with a misfire doesn't make sense. It should be adding fuel due to the extra oxygen in the exhaust

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:40 pm
by Hans_GZP
[quote=""vr4""]Pulling fuel with a misfire doesn't make sense. It should be adding fuel due to the extra oxygen in the exhaust[/quote]

You'd think. Not sure if the scanner was interpreting the data correctly? It didn't make sense to me. But it's cured now LOL. Seems to be mechanically sound, so I may order up the factory diag/tuning software. People crank the boost up to around 22-24 psi with no problem (runs 1 bar stock). That's where the whole 100-120 extra hp comes from in the box tunes that are available. I'll be damned if I'm spending $1000 to turn the boost up without capabilities of tinkering in the ecu myself :)

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:41 pm
by Hans_GZP
Emilie took it out yesterday for the first time since swapping the map sensor. I got a "holy shit" text from her. It's a pretty badass car. An extra 100-120 hp will make it absolutely insane. Your eyes kinda hurt from the pressure of the acceleration.

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:14 pm
by Jeff V.
Hans wrote:Your eyes kinda hurt from the pressure of the acceleration.
That's a little ridiculous.

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:18 pm
by vr4
[quote=""Jeff V.""]That's a little ridiculous.[/quote]

Agreed. They're fast for what they are but I think that might be a bit of an exaggeration. This isn't a 7 second car leaving on slicks at 7k

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:42 pm
by Jeff V.
I wasn't disagreeing with him. I've never driven one, so I can't comment. I'm just saying it's a little silly that the car is that fast at all. It's a luxury sedan meant for wealthy businessmen. Not a Hellcat :lol:

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:21 am
by vr4
[quote=""Jeff V.""]I wasn't disagreeing with him. I've never driven one, so I can't comment. I'm just saying it's a little silly that the car is that fast at all. It's a luxury sedan meant for wealthy businessmen. Not a Hellcat :lol: [/quote]

It's comparable to a 996 turbo

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:35 pm
by Hans_GZP
[quote=""vr4""]Agreed. They're fast for what they are but I think that might be a bit of an exaggeration. This isn't a 7 second car leaving on slicks at 7k[/quote]

Maybe I have sensitive eyes? Don't tell me what my eyes are feeling dammit! :)

Driving it now while it's wet outside. It's fun just romping on it at 40 mph and blowing the tires loose :p

Re: New daily driver for the family

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:37 pm
by Hans_GZP
[quote=""Jeff V.""]I wasn't disagreeing with him. I've never driven one, so I can't comment. I'm just saying it's a little silly that the car is that fast at all. It's a luxury sedan meant for wealthy businessmen. Not a Hellcat :lol: [/quote]

We were looking at a video of a ML63 beating an Aventador. Unbelievable what they can pull out of that 5.5 liter twin turbo engine. 900 hp without doing any fuel upgrades. Just a set of turbos, diverter valve, and a tune!