08/09 Nissan GTR launch next month. Speculation and banter

If you're looking for a place to direct your vehicular thoughts, you've found it.

Moderator: Monochrome

Post Reply
User avatar
J-Groove
Posts: 9898
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:10 pm
Location: Rowlett Texas

Re: 08/09 Nissan GTR launch next month. Speculation and banter

Post by J-Groove »

[quote=""moffman93'""]I couldn't agree more. I think this car will be awesome but im dissapointed that it even resembles a 350z/g35 :( Why must nissan make every car look the same.[/quote]

Considering that the G35 is the Skyline it makes sense.

Everywhere else but here the G35 is the Skyline. So I do not have a problem with the GTR trim looking like its lower trim levels. ;)

hat I do have a problem with is the new Altima looking like the VQ cars. You have a very valid point there.

-john
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: 08/09 Nissan GTR launch next month. Speculation and banter

Post by Jeff V. »

Considering that the G35 is the Skyline it makes sense.

Everywhere else but here the G35 is the Skyline. So I do not have a problem with the GTR trim looking like its lower trim levels.
Because the Skyline is no longer the GTR.

Nissan has said the GTR is being separated from the Skyline name. For every market, it will simply be the Nissan GTR.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
J-Groove
Posts: 9898
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:10 pm
Location: Rowlett Texas

Re: 08/09 Nissan GTR launch next month. Speculation and banter

Post by J-Groove »

[quote=""Gatecrasher""]Because the Skyline is no longer the GTR.

Nissan has said the GTR is being separated from the Skyline name. For every market, it will simply be the Nissan GTR.[/quote]

Well poop. There goes my reasoning. :lol:
User avatar
TajMan
Posts: 8792
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:40 pm
Location: Salt Lake valley UT

Re: 08/09 Nissan GTR launch next month. Speculation and banter

Post by TajMan »

At a time in the past year I almost worked at a Nissan dealership and was psyched about selling the new GT-R that was coming, like it was the most profound car to be released in the U.S. EVER.

What cars have been produced that use a real automatic-controlled manual tranny? An Audi DirectShiftGearbox or something?
I think they'll have an auto tranny with paddle shifters like Mitsu's sportronic.
-'79 Yamaha XS11 special, custom work in progress
-'93 Stealthubishi
Image
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: 08/09 Nissan GTR launch next month. Speculation and banter

Post by Jeff V. »

What cars have been produced that use a real automatic-controlled manual tranny?
Mostly high end stuff like Ferrari (F1 shift) and Lamborghini (E-gear). I think Aston Martin used one, but I'm not certain. It's widely regarded to be a bit clunky in around-town driving. VW/Audi's DSG is a whole different beast though, and from everything I've heard, it's superb.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
JagdStealth
Posts: 11702
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:58 pm
Location: San Diego, TEXAFORNIA!

Re: 08/09 Nissan GTR launch next month. Speculation and banter

Post by JagdStealth »

Latest round of rumors...maybe 3500lbs might sneak in?

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/09/25/more ... ssan-gt-r/
User avatar
J-Groove
Posts: 9898
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:10 pm
Location: Rowlett Texas

Re: 08/09 Nissan GTR launch next month. Speculation and banter

Post by J-Groove »

the comments on that page gave me a headache. haha. Though quite a few did at least appear to know what they were talking about.

-John
User avatar
oxrageous
Posts: 1654
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:31 pm
Location: Port St Lucie, FL

Re: 08/09 Nissan GTR launch next month. Speculation and banter

Post by oxrageous »

Too much competition for this ugly thing to sell well. It will be uglier and slower than a lot of the same cars in its class. And that's my two cents.
Image
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15949
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: 08/09 Nissan GTR launch next month. Speculation and banter

Post by Chris GTO TT »

Well if its really 3500lbs and has ~480hp it should be at least as fast (straight line) as a 911 Turbo...looks and history wise it may be lacking in the US
User avatar
moffman93'
Posts: 9787
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:51 pm
Location: Long Island

Re: 08/09 Nissan GTR launch next month. Speculation and banter

Post by moffman93' »

All this bad boy will need is a boost controller :)
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: 08/09 Nissan GTR launch next month. Speculation and banter

Post by Jeff V. »

Information is starting to trickle in. $67-72k, depending on which edition you get. Some people are saying (hoping?) 3500 lbs. Others are saying 3860 lbs. Thats a much more believable number, and strangely familiar. I remember an older AWD, twin turbo, gadget laden, Japanese GT that weighed right around 38xx....

Only one transmission option. Flappy paddle shifter. Nothing yet on engine output or details on the AWD system.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
oxrageous
Posts: 1654
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:31 pm
Location: Port St Lucie, FL

Re: 08/09 Nissan GTR launch next month. Speculation and banter

Post by oxrageous »

[quote=""Gatecrasher""]Information is starting to trickle in. $67-72k, depending on which edition you get. Some people are saying (hoping?) 3500 lbs. Others are saying 3860 lbs. Thats a much more believable number, and strangely familiar. I remember an older AWD, twin turbo, gadget laden, Japanese GT that weighed right around 38xx....

Only one transmission option. Flappy paddle shifter. Nothing yet on engine output or details on the AWD system.[/quote]
Sounds like the Z06 will blow the doors off this car for the same money, both in a straight line and around the track. America wins.
Image
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: 08/09 Nissan GTR launch next month. Speculation and banter

Post by Jeff V. »

We'll see. Rumors are, it's running the ring in some pretty impressive times. But I'll withhold judgment until Nissan issues a press release or a 3rd party runs the production car around the track. It took Porsche putting R-compound Pliot Sport Cup tires on one of their 911 turbos to get it to lap faster than the Z06 did on true street rubber. I'd be surprised if Nissan can do better with out R-compounds, regardless of the AWD.

I love watching the Nissan fanboys scramble over this. Trying to say the Z06 isn't a competitor, and it only does one thing well, and the GT-R is in a different league because it's about technology and comfort instead of being a balls out race car with a license plate. Then they go on to say how your average 911 or F430 customer wouldn't cross-shop a mere Chevrolet, so the Z06 isn't a competitor to those either.

Yeah...like they're gonna cross-shop Nissan any more than they'd cross-shop Chevy. Anyone remember Datsun? :p
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
oxrageous
Posts: 1654
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:31 pm
Location: Port St Lucie, FL

Re: 08/09 Nissan GTR launch next month. Speculation and banter

Post by oxrageous »

[quote=""Gatecrasher""]Yeah...like they're gonna cross-shop Nissan any more than they'd cross-shop Chevy. Anyone remember Datsun? :p [/quote]
:lol: Exactly. Since when is Nissan considered in Porsche or Ferrari company?
Image
JagdStealth
Posts: 11702
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:58 pm
Location: San Diego, TEXAFORNIA!

Re: 08/09 Nissan GTR launch next month. Speculation and banter

Post by JagdStealth »

People are always going to be biased against the 'vette man...it's just how it is. 'vettes stopped being "the shit" in 1993 when the import crowd really started to take over.

A Porsche has always been "better" than a 'vette regardless of performance, same with any of the other exotics.

GM did it to themselves by making shit products all through the 80s and early 90s and not bothering to make a 'vette of decent quality until 1997. About 8 years too late to save their reputation. Now...10 years later, they are *just* starting to get somewhere, even though the C5 has always been a good competitor
User avatar
Wolf_Zero
Posts: 4876
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:29 pm

Re: 08/09 Nissan GTR launch next month. Speculation and banter

Post by Wolf_Zero »

[quote=""Gatecrasher""]Information is starting to trickle in. $67-72k, depending on which edition you get. Some people are saying (hoping?) 3500 lbs. Others are saying 3860 lbs. Thats a much more believable number, and strangely familiar. I remember an older AWD, twin turbo, gadget laden, Japanese GT that weighed right around 38xx....

Only one transmission option. Flappy paddle shifter. Nothing yet on engine output or details on the AWD system.[/quote]

If I remember correctly the last Skyline (the R34 that is) had very similar options to a VR-4 yet it still weighed in at around ~3650lbs. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible for it to weigh even less than that. I'm sure that they're using a lot of composites for the body and interior. I don't expect it to be too heavy, but I suppose it is possible. But whatever, I'm not gonna buy one of these even if I have the money so I'm not to concerned about it.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions."
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: 08/09 Nissan GTR launch next month. Speculation and banter

Post by Jeff V. »

If I remember correctly the last Skyline (the R34 that is) had very similar options to a VR-4 yet it still weighed in at around ~3650lbs. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible for it to weigh even less than that. I'm sure that they're using a lot of composites for the body and interior.
I'll be shocked if they're using AL and carbon for anything besides decorative trim. If they manage to do a lightweight composite and/or AL intensive body AND an advanced AWD system AND a true paddle shifted manual AND a high output TT V6 AND keep it under 75k, then I'll be truly impressed.

Without light metals and composites, I stick by it weighing more than the R34. More safety equipment, it has to meet global crash and smog requirements (the R34 didn't), and things like heated leather seats and a sunroof. Even with an aluminum block engine, 3860 sounds extremely plausible.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
JagdStealth
Posts: 11702
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:58 pm
Location: San Diego, TEXAFORNIA!

Re: 08/09 Nissan GTR launch next month. Speculation and banter

Post by JagdStealth »

heated elather seats? The good thing about the last GTR was the fact that it was made to be competitive rather than a souped up family car turned GT (VR4). It had light weight recaro seats :)
User avatar
Wolf_Zero
Posts: 4876
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:29 pm

Re: 08/09 Nissan GTR launch next month. Speculation and banter

Post by Wolf_Zero »

There was a sedan version of the older skylines as well ;)
"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions."
JagdStealth
Posts: 11702
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:58 pm
Location: San Diego, TEXAFORNIA!

Re: 08/09 Nissan GTR launch next month. Speculation and banter

Post by JagdStealth »

Yeah, I was just making fun of the luxury car-ness of the 3000GT ;)

GTS-Ts are fun cars too though
Post Reply