Page 3 of 4

Re: Clean car is happy car. Also, completed pix of 2-tone interior

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:41 pm
by sublime_whatigo
Its a custom headliner. I had a 97 before and really got sick of the darker tan, of course it doesnt show dirt and stuff as much as the light.

I have black everything lying around and im debating putting it all in or what to do.

Re: Clean car is happy car. Also, completed pix of 2-tone interior

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:12 pm
by Hans_GZP
Jeff, I like the 2 tone. Reminds me of my first 3000GT with the red/silver interior hahaha... just not as bad to look at :) . Is that still my old 97 SL spoiler that I sold to you when the esx was running?

Re: Clean car is happy car. Also, completed pix of 2-tone interior

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:30 pm
by Jeff V.
Jeff, I like the 2 tone. Reminds me of my first 3000GT with the red/silver interior hahaha... just not as bad to look at . Is that still my old 97 SL spoiler that I sold to you when the esx was running?
I actually went back to find those pics when I was doing my car, just for the fun of it. Thanks to your GI on 3SI, they've vanished for the ages :p

That interior may have been a bit too loud, but people remembered you for that. It stood out.

Yes, it's the same wing :) Did you ever notice it has green metal flake in it?

Re: Clean car is happy car. Also, completed pix of 2-tone interior

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:34 pm
by Tujin
Maybe if we used a needle to inject just a little bit of adhesive, then smoothed it out... ;)

Re: Clean car is happy car. Also, completed pix of 2-tone interior

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:41 pm
by Jeff V.
I've seen other people have tried that.

I think the problem comes from the fact that the foam backing has deteriorated, causing the bubble. When you try to add glue to this already crumbly, deteriorated material, it doesn't last very long.

Personally I'd love to try using some kind of 2-part epoxy injected from the back of the panel. I may do this one my spare door panel. But I doubt it'll be any time soon. Too many other things are going on.

Re: Clean car is happy car. Also, completed pix of 2-tone interior

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:45 pm
by sublime_whatigo
Ya I've tried several different glues with no luck, and I never noticed the backing deteriorating or anything.

Theres a local guy down the street from me who has some ideas, if he figures it out I'll let ya know. That is right after I buy a few extra bubbly ones for cheap :D

Re: Clean car is happy car. Also, completed pix of 2-tone interior

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:07 am
by Hans_GZP
[quote=""Gatecrasher""]I actually went back to find those pics when I was doing my car, just for the fun of it. Thanks to your GI on 3SI, they've vanished for the ages :p

That interior may have been a bit too loud, but people remembered you for that. It stood out.

Yes, it's the same wing :) Did you ever notice it has green metal flake in it?[/quote]

I believe Alan has some pics of it when you guys came down for the ECG. I don't think I even have any pictures of that car anymore. I may have them on my old machine sitting here in my office. I'll have to fire it up and check it out. It was definitely a loud interior. I just threw some of it out last week because it got all disgusting from the flood. The paint still held up good though haha.

That green flake is part of the solano black pearl found on 96+ 3000GT's. It's a kick ass color in the sun.

Re: Clean car is happy car. Also, completed pix of 2-tone interior

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:50 am
by Tujin
Gate do you mind if I "borrow" one of these pictures to send to the photoshop forum? Curious how black/red would look

Re: Clean car is happy car. Also, completed pix of 2-tone interior

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:42 pm
by Jeff V.
Gate do you mind if I "borrow" one of these pictures to send to the photoshop forum? Curious how black/red would look
Go for it. I'm anxious to see how it'd look myself.

I did a mockup door panel in red and black, and it just didn't look right. The color and texture of the red was a little weird. If I could actually re-do it in leather, I think it'd look pretty good.

Re: Clean car is happy car. Also, completed pix of 2-tone interior

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:07 pm
by BillyC
[quote=""Gatecrasher""]
I hope you don't mean shiny in a bad way. I experimented with a couple different blacks until I found one that was very low gloss. I wanted to avoid the shine.
[/quote]

Hey Jeff, I've got a few tan panels left that need painting. You'd told me what you used that night we all were at the club, but I can't remember what brand of paint you used...could you refresh my memory. Thanks!

Re: Clean car is happy car. Also, completed pix of 2-tone interior

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:17 pm
by Tujin
Image
I think maybe if the carpeting on the side of the center console was from a porno red, and straight black carpet, it would look pretty slick.
And black/red leather seats.

Re: Clean car is happy car. Also, completed pix of 2-tone interior

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:19 pm
by Jeff V.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was picturing in my head. Nice work :)

Billy...I'll look up the type of paint I used and get back to you tonight. I can't remember right now. I'm pretty sure it was some type of Plasti-Kote stuff that was specifically for vinyl and fabric.

Re: Clean car is happy car. Also, completed pix of 2-tone interior

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:21 pm
by Tujin
[quote=""Gatecrasher""]Plasti-kote spray dye. It's specifically designed to bond with vinyl. I tried to damage a couple of the test panels I did, and this stuff just does not come off.

For the headliner, I bought new fabric and re-covered the factory backing board. I also did the sun roof cover. I'm really impressed with how that came out.

*edit*

http://www.bawcforums.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=1135

Headliner pics on page 3.[/quote]

Gate, this is what you said it was.
lol

Re: Clean car is happy car. Also, completed pix of 2-tone interior

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:28 pm
by Jeff V.
Did I? Wow. Owned by my own thread :lol:

Re: Clean car is happy car. Also, completed pix of 2-tone interior

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 pm
by Tujin
I can't wait to redo my interior. It's just so old and beat up...
Oh well, one thing at a time eh?

Re: Clean car is happy car. Also, completed pix of 2-tone interior

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:02 pm
by BillyC
[quote=""Gatecrasher""]
Billy...I'll look up the type of paint I used and get back to you tonight. I can't remember right now. I'm pretty sure it was some type of Plasti-Kote stuff that was specifically for vinyl and fabric.[/quote]

Whenever you get a chance. Thanks. :)

Re: Clean car is happy car. Also, completed pix of 2-tone interior

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:42 pm
by Mychal1216km
I have to say PURE SEX...i love the interior, very nice

Re: Clean car is happy car. Also, completed pix of 2-tone interior

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:09 pm
by Mychal1216km
O yea, how did you get the 2 tone..it looks AMAZING!!

Re: Clean car is happy car. Also, completed pix of 2-tone interior

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:13 pm
by I am Me N U r U
[quote=""Gatecrasher""]The drivers door still has a bubble. I kept putting off finishing the interior until I came up with a bubble fix. Then I realized I'd probably end up putting the car away for the winter with a stripped interior if I kept waiting :p

I replaced the passenger door with a non-bubbled part.

From what I've seen, nobody has yet come up with a GOOD bubble fix :( [/quote]

pop it with a needle or toothpick, near the handle bar, and smooth it out with your fingers until the bubble is gone, then use a toothpick with some plastic-glue. and dab it into the hole to seal it up.

Not very noticable, and works well. I've used it on a few cars that I bought/sold, and it seemed to hold up well for the few months I had them. I don't know if it's a permanent fix though. Some panels I did have to redo, but most of them lasted.

The glue is in a push-tube, you get it at autozone. It's the kind you blob out, and mix the 2 gels together. I forget what it's called.