Page 20 of 33
Re: Jeep Stuff
Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:05 pm
by Duck Vader
[quote=""ChargerX3""]Yuck...[/quote]
Luckily it is an easy job to cut and replace with 2x6" metal tubing. Just need someone who can weld for me.
Re: Jeep Stuff
Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:11 pm
by Duck Vader
[quote=""alienviking""]let it go[/quote]
Ain't happening home slice.
Re: Jeep Stuff
Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:13 pm
by alienviking
[quote=""Duck Vader""]Ain't happening home slice.[/quote]
Quoted for one week from now.
Re: Jeep Stuff
Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:45 pm
by ChargerX3
Wife's Jeep, Its like a child to them now. Vested.
Re: Jeep Stuff
Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:59 pm
by Duck Vader
[quote=""ChargerX3""]Wife's Jeep, Its like a child to them now. Vested.[/quote]
Pretty much.
12 years, many memories, lots of custom work, etc. It is a "free" ride that for the most part still gets us from a to b most of the time. If we get rid of it we need to spend money on something to replace it.
Right now, with the internship thing, saving as much as possible, and keeping this is the cheapest option. We know what is wrong with it. We know its history. We know what has been fixed. Etc.
Re: Jeep Stuff
Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:34 pm
by Chris GTO TT
Every time I see this thread updated I just assume it's Jason getting pissed and trying to sell it lol
Re: Jeep Stuff
Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:02 pm
by ChargerX3
Its a new week.
Re: Jeep Stuff
Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:25 pm
by Duck Vader
Wife leaves today and won't be back home until Friday, so going to pull the XJ into the garage and do some cutting this week. Cut out all the rust and use some chassis saver I have on the edges when done.
Found someone willing to do some welding for cheap for me, and someone willing to cut and fab up some rockers from 2x6 steel tubing. Once I get those I will cut out the rockers completely, have my buddy do the welding, then I will paint them with the chassis saver and/or bed liner material.
Re: Jeep Stuff
Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:04 pm
by ChargerX3
You are painting the body with bed liner? Im afraid you might not like the end result.
Re: Jeep Stuff
Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:14 pm
by Duck Vader
Not the body. The rock rails. Google 2x6 XJ rock rails. Will just paint the bare metal with the bed liner.
Body will just be a bit of chassis saver to stop any rust along where I cut until I do something else.
Re: Jeep Stuff
Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:59 pm
by ChargerX3
Oh, yea i know what those are. Isn't the point of those to keep them slick and not grippy though?
Re: Jeep Stuff
Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:08 pm
by Duck Vader
[quote=""ChargerX3""]Oh, yea i know what those are. Isn't the point of those to keep them slick and not grippy though?[/quote]
I don't necessarily mean true bed liner. But scratch resistant stuff. Like the Monstaliner I did in the LJ when I tore the carpets out. Strong stuff and textured, but was "smooth".
Re: Jeep Stuff
Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:00 pm
by Duck Vader
Just paid Jeep West to do a proper SYE kit and a custom driveshaft. Since I have done so much with him over the years he only charged me $100 above wholesale cost of parts to pick up the Jeep, do the install, shim the rear, and drop it back off for me.
Next steps will be to cut out the rust and get those rails put in. Then probably get some factory skids off a junker. After that, upgrade axle shafts and put some lockers in. Wife also wants a roof rack eventually and I still need to tint the windows.
Re: Jeep Stuff
Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:18 pm
by ChargerX3
Thats a lot going into a Jeep that you dont like. Lol. Is the goal to crawl it now?
Re: Jeep Stuff
Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:30 pm
by Duck Vader
It is not that I don't "like" it. It just pisses me off a lot. With the new suspension, seat position, radio, etc it is not as bad to drive as it used to be. Only thing that annoys me now is the rub at full lock on the LCAs.
As for goal, not really crawl it. Figured skids would be nice as an "in case" feature. If I can get cheap factory ones off a junker it will be worth it. But not paying for aftermarket crap. Lockers would be nice for mild off-roading to get to/from locations to hike/camp or stuff like that. Not needed, but one of those rather have and not need than need and not have kind of things. Axle shafts because running bigger tires on 20+ year old factory shafts. They should hold up fine, but if I am going to be driving this rather be "safe" than sorry.
Re: Jeep Stuff
Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:28 pm
by ChargerX3
Well either way, If you ever decide to sell it you will be giving away a lot of $ in parts and upgrades. For someone who has such a love/hate relationship with a vehicle I would be doing the bare minimum (not the Coop bare minimum though) just in case I choose to offload it.

Re: Jeep Stuff
Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:53 pm
by Duck Vader
I know. But I honestly don't see us selling any time soon. Emotionally can't justify it. Also it is the only vehicle we own outright without payments. So can put it in storage and insurance is $6 a month when we do that.
Re: Jeep Stuff
Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:57 pm
by ChargerX3
Im getting to the point of not knowing what to do with my Jeep. Its been a good vehicle with not too many hiccups. I love it, but I hate seeing it just sit in my side yard. I dont know what im going to do.
Re: Jeep Stuff
Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:57 pm
by Duck Vader
Part it out and give me the skids if you have them...
Re: Jeep Stuff
Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:18 pm
by ChargerX3
No part out. Its too nice. I still have a Dana 44 rear, with LSD, or E-locker LSD, 4:56 gears, and a front auzzie locker I need to install yet.