Awesome progress Greg!
Bought a Miata Because Exocar
Moderator: Monochrome
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
Damn, you're making me feel like a slacker!!
Awesome progress Greg!
Awesome progress Greg!
- Monochrome
- Founding Members

- Posts: 18264
- Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 pm
- Location: NE Maryland
- Contact:
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
It would be done outside. What I was considering is mounting some kind of soap dispensing container on the end of a pressure washer and filling it with a diluted mixture of simple green or some other degreaser.
2020 Miata Club - BBS package
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
Eh 3 cans of carb cleaner and be done with it.
Coop
Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
Would have been simple with everything in the car and buttoned up. Pressure washer and engine degreaser go a long way.

- Boostaddict
- Posts: 446
- Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:48 pm
- Location: Detroit Metro
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
[quote=""Monochrome""]Yeah. Absolutely everything is covered in oil. Trying to come up with an easy way to clean it.[/quote]
Have a home depot nearby? Rent their utility truck ($20 for 90 minutes or whatever). Cherry picker/hoist that entire thing into the bed and take it to a DIY car wash to hose it down. Spray liberally with foaming engine degreaser before you head to the car wash.
Have a home depot nearby? Rent their utility truck ($20 for 90 minutes or whatever). Cherry picker/hoist that entire thing into the bed and take it to a DIY car wash to hose it down. Spray liberally with foaming engine degreaser before you head to the car wash.
- Monochrome
- Founding Members

- Posts: 18264
- Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 pm
- Location: NE Maryland
- Contact:
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
[quote=""ChargerX3""]Would have been simple with everything in the car and buttoned up. Pressure washer and engine degreaser go a long way.[/quote]
Weak alternator and dying battery preventing me from doing any such thing.
Edit: now that I think about it, there's no way I'm going to lay on the ground and try to spray the underside of the car.
Weak alternator and dying battery preventing me from doing any such thing.
Edit: now that I think about it, there's no way I'm going to lay on the ground and try to spray the underside of the car.
Last edited by Monochrome on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 Miata Club - BBS package
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
[quote=""Boostaddict""]Have a home depot nearby? Rent their utility truck ($20 for 90 minutes or whatever). Cherry picker/hoist that entire thing into the bed and take it to a DIY car wash to hose it down. Spray liberally with foaming engine degreaser before you head to the car wash.[/quote]
Filing that away in the "great ideas" folder...
Filing that away in the "great ideas" folder...
-Matt
'21 Corvette Stingray HTC Z51
'95 3000GT Spyder VR4 (11.838@117.56)
'21 Corvette Stingray HTC Z51
'95 3000GT Spyder VR4 (11.838@117.56)
- Monochrome
- Founding Members

- Posts: 18264
- Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 pm
- Location: NE Maryland
- Contact:
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
Pressure washer idea is out. My garage landlord informed me he couldn't afford the water bill so he stopped paying. I don't have water at the garage now.
So... Trunk rental or $100 worth of carb cleaner cans and paper towel... Hmm...
So... Trunk rental or $100 worth of carb cleaner cans and paper towel... Hmm...
2020 Miata Club - BBS package
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
- green-lantern
- Posts: 14814
- Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:50 pm
- Location: Tennessee
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
How much is the bill? Since you use the garage it might be best to pay it for him so you have water when you need it.
[quote=""Hans_GZP""] I think I had Em reach her bitch paws in there to get the nuts off. [/quote]
"Ask not what you can do for your country - ask what your country can do for you." - The gimme generation

"Ask not what you can do for your country - ask what your country can do for you." - The gimme generation

- Monochrome
- Founding Members

- Posts: 18264
- Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 pm
- Location: NE Maryland
- Contact:
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
[quote=""green-lantern""]How much is the bill? Since you use the garage it might be best to pay it for him so you have water when you need it.[/quote]
Almost a grand...
Almost a grand...
2020 Miata Club - BBS package
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
- green-lantern
- Posts: 14814
- Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:50 pm
- Location: Tennessee
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
Fuck! Does it spit gold chunks out? WTF? I hope you are talking about for a year.
[quote=""Hans_GZP""] I think I had Em reach her bitch paws in there to get the nuts off. [/quote]
"Ask not what you can do for your country - ask what your country can do for you." - The gimme generation

"Ask not what you can do for your country - ask what your country can do for you." - The gimme generation

Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
To get water turned on and run for 5 years I don't think I've spent 1k.....screw the north.
Coop
Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
- Monochrome
- Founding Members

- Posts: 18264
- Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 pm
- Location: NE Maryland
- Contact:
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
There's two sides to the story on the water bill. On the one hand, they charge too much. On the other, its more expensive to not pay your bills than to pay them.
I will never forget the $460 water bill we got the first quarter I lived there.
I will never forget the $460 water bill we got the first quarter I lived there.
2020 Miata Club - BBS package
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
- Monochrome
- Founding Members

- Posts: 18264
- Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 pm
- Location: NE Maryland
- Contact:
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
Some more progress tonight. Engine is off the now disassembled front subframe.

Tomorrow is round 1 for powder coating.


This made me happy. Previous owners changed the oil on a regular basis. .

Oh, I came up with a solution for cleaning everything. Bought a case of WD40 for $20.

Tomorrow is round 1 for powder coating.


This made me happy. Previous owners changed the oil on a regular basis. .

Oh, I came up with a solution for cleaning everything. Bought a case of WD40 for $20.
2020 Miata Club - BBS package
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
- Monochrome
- Founding Members

- Posts: 18264
- Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 pm
- Location: NE Maryland
- Contact:
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
Didn't get as much done today as I was hoping but progress was made never the less.

Valve cover and intake plenum holder bead blasted.



Powder applied


Baked!
The color is Prismatic Shocker Yellow. Changes colors in the sun. This will be the color of my Exocet frame.

Reassembled.

Cleaning and degreasing the rear subframe. Just a paper towel and Simple Green.

This is a rubberized coating in matte black. Was hoping it would match the stock color but stock is more satin. Not sure if I like it or not.

Nasty front subframe.

Shows the difference in colors.

Ugly PPF (which was a pain to remove from the rear diff)


It cleaned up really well though!

Primer.
Normally I don't paint things but my boss wouldn't let me use the large oven at work. Otherwise I would have powder coated this part.


Painted! I'm happy with this color! Definitely doing the transmission in this color.
That's it for today.

Valve cover and intake plenum holder bead blasted.



Powder applied


Baked!
The color is Prismatic Shocker Yellow. Changes colors in the sun. This will be the color of my Exocet frame.

Reassembled.

Cleaning and degreasing the rear subframe. Just a paper towel and Simple Green.

This is a rubberized coating in matte black. Was hoping it would match the stock color but stock is more satin. Not sure if I like it or not.

Nasty front subframe.

Shows the difference in colors.

Ugly PPF (which was a pain to remove from the rear diff)


It cleaned up really well though!

Primer.
Normally I don't paint things but my boss wouldn't let me use the large oven at work. Otherwise I would have powder coated this part.


Painted! I'm happy with this color! Definitely doing the transmission in this color.
That's it for today.
2020 Miata Club - BBS package
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
- tabasco122
- Posts: 18124
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:57 pm
- Location: Houma, LA
- Contact:
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
That's the same color as aatifs brake calipers
scat1zzi
12:12 am: if the phone charger is a penis, and the chargy bit inside the phone is the vagina, i made my phones vagina prolapse on itself and cause catastrophic failure
[quote=""Seraflame""]Fear has nothing to do with it. It's a simple equation.
Is the shen I'm about to pull and the laughs that ensue = to or > the payback my wife is likely to impose? If yes. Shens. If no. Shens.[/quote]
12:12 am: if the phone charger is a penis, and the chargy bit inside the phone is the vagina, i made my phones vagina prolapse on itself and cause catastrophic failure
[quote=""Seraflame""]Fear has nothing to do with it. It's a simple equation.
Is the shen I'm about to pull and the laughs that ensue = to or > the payback my wife is likely to impose? If yes. Shens. If no. Shens.[/quote]
Click to show spoiler
- Chris GTO TT
- Posts: 15951
- Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
- Location: Sacramento
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
Looks great, I'd love to do some clean up work to mine, but I fear it would lead to much disappointment.
- Monochrome
- Founding Members

- Posts: 18264
- Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 pm
- Location: NE Maryland
- Contact:
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
Apologies for the lack of updates. Been traveling for work and had little time for the car. Got the dash pulled and started labeling and removing the wiring. Tonight I will probably pull the gas tank.
While I was gone, the first batch of parts from FM showed up.

This is every hose, gasket, belt and well... Everything you need to completely rebuild a miata engine, trans and chassy. The little big brake kit and V-Maxx are back ordered but without the Exocet frame, that doesn't matter anyway
I will probably order the FM II around tax return time.
The FM Exocet fuel line kit is here too but it didn't come with any instructions to set it up. Might have to call them for help if I can't figure it out. I like how everything is organized and labeled. Made sorting thru it all 20x easier.
While I was gone, the first batch of parts from FM showed up.

This is every hose, gasket, belt and well... Everything you need to completely rebuild a miata engine, trans and chassy. The little big brake kit and V-Maxx are back ordered but without the Exocet frame, that doesn't matter anyway
I will probably order the FM II around tax return time.
The FM Exocet fuel line kit is here too but it didn't come with any instructions to set it up. Might have to call them for help if I can't figure it out. I like how everything is organized and labeled. Made sorting thru it all 20x easier.
2020 Miata Club - BBS package
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
