Bought a Miata Because Exocar
Moderator: Monochrome
- Chris GTO TT
- Posts: 15949
- Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
- Location: Sacramento
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
FM also has a kit that replaces the front rotors with 2 piece rotors and I think that one sheds rotational weight also. I've only really looked at the street Little BBK because anything else for my needs would be way over kill.
- Monochrome
- Founding Members

- Posts: 18264
- Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 pm
- Location: NE Maryland
- Contact:
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
I'm replacing all the brakes because the brakes on the black car aren't in great shape. Rear drivers caliper is sticking and the front rotors are warped. I was just going to swap the stock brakes off the green car to the black one.
2020 Miata Club - BBS package
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
- Chris GTO TT
- Posts: 15949
- Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
- Location: Sacramento
- Monochrome
- Founding Members

- Posts: 18264
- Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 pm
- Location: NE Maryland
- Contact:
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
Damn. I already bought the FM kit. Besides that set doesn't have the parking brake.
2020 Miata Club - BBS package
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
- Chris GTO TT
- Posts: 15949
- Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
- Location: Sacramento
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
Want me to test out the FM kit for you 
Are you on Miataturbo.net? if not let me know if you are looking for anything and i'll keep my eye out for you.
Are you on Miataturbo.net? if not let me know if you are looking for anything and i'll keep my eye out for you.
- Monochrome
- Founding Members

- Posts: 18264
- Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 pm
- Location: NE Maryland
- Contact:
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
3.9 Torsen rear end
2020 Miata Club - BBS package
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
- Chris GTO TT
- Posts: 15949
- Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
- Location: Sacramento
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
I'll keep an eye out, you need the whole conversion shebang or just the internals?
- Monochrome
- Founding Members

- Posts: 18264
- Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 pm
- Location: NE Maryland
- Contact:
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
[quote=""Chris GTO TT""]I'll keep an eye out, you need the whole conversion shebang or just the internals?[/quote]
Whatever is available.
I will take a 3.63 gear set too if you happen to find that.
Whatever is available.
I will take a 3.63 gear set too if you happen to find that.
2020 Miata Club - BBS package
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
- Monochrome
- Founding Members

- Posts: 18264
- Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 pm
- Location: NE Maryland
- Contact:
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
Oh and let me know if you find an OEM hard top.
2020 Miata Club - BBS package
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
- Chris GTO TT
- Posts: 15949
- Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
- Location: Sacramento
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
[quote=""Monochrome""]Oh and let me know if you find an OEM hard top.[/quote]
You do know those go for about $1000 to $1300 depending on color and condition right?
You do know those go for about $1000 to $1300 depending on color and condition right?
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
I just did a quick search of eBay just out of curiosity.
I found one hard top for $1499.
I also found several folding roof assemblies from the 2008 Miata Spyder for ~$850.
So the mechanical folding roof assembly from a much newer car is only slightly more than half as expensive as a snap-on one piece hard top from the older car.
That's messed up.
I found one hard top for $1499.
I also found several folding roof assemblies from the 2008 Miata Spyder for ~$850.
So the mechanical folding roof assembly from a much newer car is only slightly more than half as expensive as a snap-on one piece hard top from the older car.
That's messed up.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
--Naomi Nagata
- Monochrome
- Founding Members

- Posts: 18264
- Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 pm
- Location: NE Maryland
- Contact:
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
[quote=""Chris GTO TT""]You do know those go for about $1000 to $1300 depending on color and condition right?[/quote]
Yes. That price doesn't include the hardware I need to install it in my car too... But I need it for winter.
[quote=""Jeff V.""]I just did a quick search of eBay just out of curiosity.
I found one hard top for $1499.
I also found several folding roof assemblies from the 2008 Miata Spyder for ~$850.
So the mechanical folding roof assembly from a much newer car is only slightly more than half as expensive as a snap-on one piece hard top from the older car.
That's messed up.[/quote]
All the ones on eBay are pick up only and none of them are local. In fact I think they were from Wisconsin which would be great if I still lived there.
Yes. That price doesn't include the hardware I need to install it in my car too... But I need it for winter.
[quote=""Jeff V.""]I just did a quick search of eBay just out of curiosity.
I found one hard top for $1499.
I also found several folding roof assemblies from the 2008 Miata Spyder for ~$850.
So the mechanical folding roof assembly from a much newer car is only slightly more than half as expensive as a snap-on one piece hard top from the older car.
That's messed up.[/quote]
All the ones on eBay are pick up only and none of them are local. In fact I think they were from Wisconsin which would be great if I still lived there.
2020 Miata Club - BBS package
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
What you need is a not-Miata for winterGreg wrote:But I need it for winter.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
--Naomi Nagata
- Monochrome
- Founding Members

- Posts: 18264
- Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 pm
- Location: NE Maryland
- Contact:
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
[quote=""Jeff V.""]What you need is a not-Miata for winter
[/quote]
Why? This isn't going to be my first winter with one. The blue one I had years ago did just fine in the snow. Drove it several time during snow storms.
Some patience and a decent set of tires are all you need for winter.
Why? This isn't going to be my first winter with one. The blue one I had years ago did just fine in the snow. Drove it several time during snow storms.
Some patience and a decent set of tires are all you need for winter.
2020 Miata Club - BBS package
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
- Monochrome
- Founding Members

- Posts: 18264
- Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 pm
- Location: NE Maryland
- Contact:
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
Applogies for the lack of updates. Only been putting in an hours or two worth of work a couple nights a week. This is my first time working on a miata. Coming from working on Mitsubishi cars all my life, this thing was a breeze! Haven't broken a single bolt yet. Got about 15 hours into it so far and most of that was because I was being careful and it was a new experience.
Anyway, some pics!



To get the PPF out, rather than completely strip the shell and pic it up with a hoist, I came up with a different (safer) method. Since I am selling the chassy, I didn't want to remove any of the body panels. Also didn't want to worry about scratching up the body. The AC system is still charged and completely untouched. I have the compressor supported in the engine bay! The PS system had to come out though but I got the entire thing out in one piece!
Started off with jacking the car up as high as I possibly could. Then I bought 4 of these small dollies.

The larger dolly was constructed from scrap skids and 4 new casters from Lowes. You'll see what for in a minute.


Used two low profile jacks (one under the front frame, one under the rear diff) and placed the 4 carts on either side of the jacks to catch the PPF. This gave me great control with safely and gently lowering everything down onto the carts.




Once the PPF was resting on the carts, the jacks could easily slide out of the way.
Now, because the jack stands were in the way, I couldn't bring the assembly out in one piece. So I separated the PPF from the transmission. That's where the larger cart comes in. Once separated, the rear end came out the back of the car, and the engine came out the drivers front wheel well.


This is where I'm at. Next step is to remove the wiring, gas tank, steering and pedals.
Anyway, some pics!



To get the PPF out, rather than completely strip the shell and pic it up with a hoist, I came up with a different (safer) method. Since I am selling the chassy, I didn't want to remove any of the body panels. Also didn't want to worry about scratching up the body. The AC system is still charged and completely untouched. I have the compressor supported in the engine bay! The PS system had to come out though but I got the entire thing out in one piece!
Started off with jacking the car up as high as I possibly could. Then I bought 4 of these small dollies.

The larger dolly was constructed from scrap skids and 4 new casters from Lowes. You'll see what for in a minute.


Used two low profile jacks (one under the front frame, one under the rear diff) and placed the 4 carts on either side of the jacks to catch the PPF. This gave me great control with safely and gently lowering everything down onto the carts.




Once the PPF was resting on the carts, the jacks could easily slide out of the way.
Now, because the jack stands were in the way, I couldn't bring the assembly out in one piece. So I separated the PPF from the transmission. That's where the larger cart comes in. Once separated, the rear end came out the back of the car, and the engine came out the drivers front wheel well.


This is where I'm at. Next step is to remove the wiring, gas tank, steering and pedals.
2020 Miata Club - BBS package
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
- green-lantern
- Posts: 14814
- Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:50 pm
- Location: Tennessee
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
you go boy!
[quote=""Hans_GZP""] I think I had Em reach her bitch paws in there to get the nuts off. [/quote]
"Ask not what you can do for your country - ask what your country can do for you." - The gimme generation

"Ask not what you can do for your country - ask what your country can do for you." - The gimme generation

- Monochrome
- Founding Members

- Posts: 18264
- Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 pm
- Location: NE Maryland
- Contact:
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
These pics are just to help me remember where some of these little brackets go.





Turns out, the miata has a variable runner intake like a DOHC NA 3/S. I like this simpler setup though. Instead of an electric motor, it has an actuator setup that is driven by vacuum and regulated by a solenoid. Pretty neat. Powder coating this thing will be a fun challenge...


Transmission, coil pack and injectors removed. Engine is ready to removed from the subframe. That will be tomorrows job.








Turns out, the miata has a variable runner intake like a DOHC NA 3/S. I like this simpler setup though. Instead of an electric motor, it has an actuator setup that is driven by vacuum and regulated by a solenoid. Pretty neat. Powder coating this thing will be a fun challenge...


Transmission, coil pack and injectors removed. Engine is ready to removed from the subframe. That will be tomorrows job.



Last edited by Monochrome on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:10 am, edited 6 times in total.
2020 Miata Club - BBS package
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
- Monochrome
- Founding Members

- Posts: 18264
- Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 pm
- Location: NE Maryland
- Contact:
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
Yeah. Absolutely everything is covered in oil. Trying to come up with an easy way to clean it.
2020 Miata Club - BBS package
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
Re: Bought a Miata Because Exocar
Easiest way is carb cleaner, and carb cleaner evaporates. Still have a mess on the floor though.
Coop
Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
