2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
Moderator: Monochrome
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
Except that parts cost a fortune. Those ignition modules Hans mentioned are over $1200 each. It has one for each bank. It's got 2 spark plugs per cylinder, so that's 24 to replace. I have no idea what it'd take to diagnose and repair that roof. It only comes in automatic, and I've got no idea what it takes to service a slushbox that can handle >700 ft-lbs of torque.
Full brake pad and rotor replacement is ~$3000. It's got two batteries, and I doubt those are the kind of thing you can replace with $110 Costco units.
Full brake pad and rotor replacement is ~$3000. It's got two batteries, and I doubt those are the kind of thing you can replace with $110 Costco units.
Last edited by Jeff V. on Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
--Naomi Nagata
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
Jeff....this is why I love and hate you. You damn realist.
Coop
Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
Even with all that, I still want it 
It's amazing what the right color can do for a car. I went from "it's nice" with the S5 to "OMG I have to have it" once I saw it in Sprint Blue.
It's amazing what the right color can do for a car. I went from "it's nice" with the S5 to "OMG I have to have it" once I saw it in Sprint Blue.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
--Naomi Nagata
- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18821
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
https://www.edmunds.com/mercedes-benz/c ... ap-up.html
2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test
I know it is a CL65 not a SL65, but look at the maintenance costs towards the end.
2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test
I know it is a CL65 not a SL65, but look at the maintenance costs towards the end.
We purchased a CL65 with 56,000 miles. At 60,000 miles significant factory parts were scheduled for replacement. So it can be argued that most of the work performed during our test was of the routine variety. Just not to the degree we expected. A year with the AMG cost us $11,551 and 41 days in the shop.
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
[quote=""Jeff V.""]Even with all that, I still want it 
It's amazing what the right color can do for a car. I went from "it's nice" with the S5 to "OMG I have to have it" once I saw it in Sprint Blue.[/quote]
Speaking of which, would this SL65 be a replacement of or in addition to your S5?
It's amazing what the right color can do for a car. I went from "it's nice" with the S5 to "OMG I have to have it" once I saw it in Sprint Blue.[/quote]
Speaking of which, would this SL65 be a replacement of or in addition to your S5?
All gave some, some gave all.
America is not at war, the US military is. America is at the mall.
America is not at war, the US military is. America is at the mall.
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
Unless something changes, I'm selling the S5 this summer. The warranty is up this year, and to be honest, I'm kind of over it.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
--Naomi Nagata
- green-lantern
- Posts: 14814
- Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:50 pm
- Location: Tennessee
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
YOLO lol
[quote=""Hans_GZP""] I think I had Em reach her bitch paws in there to get the nuts off. [/quote]
"Ask not what you can do for your country - ask what your country can do for you." - The gimme generation

"Ask not what you can do for your country - ask what your country can do for you." - The gimme generation

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Very good friend just got his CL back from speedriven....
Bigger turbos, bigger intercoolers, some internal trans work, etc.
Should be quick.
DOGE
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
When you say quick, give me a ball park here. Is this a 11 sec 1/4 mile car? Slower? Faster?
Coop
Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
[quote=""DCIV""]When you say quick, give me a ball park here. Is this a 11 sec 1/4 mile car? Slower? Faster?
Coop[/quote]
He won't give me power levels yet as he's planning on going to tx2k but 4 digits at the wheels shouldn't be difficult.
An older model with the speedriven 825 package has gone 10.7s.
This one has.... More
Coop[/quote]
He won't give me power levels yet as he's planning on going to tx2k but 4 digits at the wheels shouldn't be difficult.
An older model with the speedriven 825 package has gone 10.7s.
This one has.... More
Last edited by vr4 on Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
DOGE
- alienviking
- Posts: 10707
- Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:41 pm
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
Talk about sleeper.
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
[quote=""DCIV""]When you say quick, give me a ball park here. Is this a 11 sec 1/4 mile car? Slower? Faster?
Coop[/quote]
Let's put this in perspective. My S600 with a tune is a mid 11 second car... at 4600 lbs. And that's with nothing but a tune.
Coop[/quote]
Let's put this in perspective. My S600 with a tune is a mid 11 second car... at 4600 lbs. And that's with nothing but a tune.
First to 184 million 
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
[quote=""Duck Vader""]https://www.edmunds.com/mercedes-benz/c ... ap-up.html
2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test
I know it is a CL65 not a SL65, but look at the maintenance costs towards the end.[/quote]
Looking at those numbers on the maintenance items, and some are seriously bloated. Almost $500 for a fuel filter replacement? It's literally a 10 minute job and the filter is $110 list price. The suspension "spheres" are exactly what I replaced. Maybe $900 list price on those 4 and it might book for around 3-4 hours. They paid $2100. Their dealer must charge $300/hr
2005 Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Long-Term Road Test
I know it is a CL65 not a SL65, but look at the maintenance costs towards the end.[/quote]
Looking at those numbers on the maintenance items, and some are seriously bloated. Almost $500 for a fuel filter replacement? It's literally a 10 minute job and the filter is $110 list price. The suspension "spheres" are exactly what I replaced. Maybe $900 list price on those 4 and it might book for around 3-4 hours. They paid $2100. Their dealer must charge $300/hr
First to 184 million 
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
Tell me the brakes aren't 3 grand, and maybe I'll start considering this 
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
--Naomi Nagata
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
[quote=""Hans_GZP""]Looking at those numbers on the maintenance items, and some are seriously bloated. Almost $500 for a fuel filter replacement? It's literally a 10 minute job and the filter is $110 list price. The suspension "spheres" are exactly what I replaced. Maybe $900 list price on those 4 and it might book for around 3-4 hours. They paid $2100. Their dealer must charge $300/hr
[/quote]
More often than not dealership service departments charge well over list prices for parts.
More often than not dealership service departments charge well over list prices for parts.
DOGE
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
My price on pads and rotors (2 piece brembo) is $1900 for all 4 corners. There could be cheaper alternatives to the rotors if you just buy the friction discs.
First to 184 million 
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
Sounds like you need to open a Mercedes storefront for GZP.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
--Naomi Nagata
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
I wasn't joking. It sounds like there's demand for cheaper parts and skilled independent shops. It seems like the first piece of advice I see on boards for German cars is 'find an independent shop you can trust'.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
--Naomi Nagata
- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18821
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.
For $35k I much rather have one of these: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/5920658569.html