2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

If you're looking for a place to direct your vehicular thoughts, you've found it.

Moderator: Monochrome

Post Reply
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by Jeff V. »

Steve wrote:How many herrafrush Audi's do you see vs luxobarge Benz cars?
Well, are we talking about super clean AMG cars? Or trashed out E320s and S500s that people bought because they were cheap and ran into the ground? Because I see plenty of the latter. My father in law has two...

The only thing I can figure is it shares enough collision parts with the run of the mill SLs that they're cheap(ish) to fix. They built nearly 170,000 R230 generation SLs.

http://benzbits.com/r230/Production.pdf
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
Duck Vader
Posts: 18819
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by Duck Vader »

My Volt and Soul are the most expensive things I have ever had to insure. $90/month - EACH.

My Mustang, GTI, VR4, trucks, jeeps, etc., were all a lot cheaper with the same full coverage.
User avatar
vegasidol
Founding Members
Founding Members
Posts: 21751
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:52 am
Location: KCMO

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by vegasidol »

[quote=""Jeff V.""]What's that got to do with anything? I've got those for the Audi, Mazda, and the Mitsus. I'd get the system for the Benz too.[/quote]

Curious. I know there is still several things you can't do on the Audi and Mazda, no?
Image
Whenever you use forceful and overt verbal persuasion to try to convince others to see things your way, they're probably not listening to what you say, Instead they're looking for every error in you your logic and mistakes in your facts, all the while constructing counterarguments. Worse still, they don't merely believe you're wrong; they need you to be wrong in order to protect the status quo. And since the final judge exists in their own head, you lose every time. - The Influencer
Is the level of bullshit you have to go through to change things in a direction you want, less than than or equal than the level of current bullshit?
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by Jeff V. »

I can't program keys or remove component protection on certain modules. Only dealers with connections back to the VW mothership can do that. Mercedes has the same problem. Lots of newer cars are doing this though. The Germans just started earlier.

I can theoretically do keys for the Mazda. I just need to see if the tool and pin code generator work.
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
Chris95RT
Posts: 9449
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:37 am
Location: North Crackalacky
Contact:

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by Chris95RT »

Sweet, Jeff is getting a new car.

Edit:
Jesus christ, I want that car now.
Last edited by Chris95RT on Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young. -Ford
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by Jeff V. »

It's about as close to an SLR as I'm ever likely to get.

Image
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
alienviking
Posts: 10707
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by alienviking »

Do it. Seriously. Do it. And let me get a ride in it.
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26787
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by DCIV »

Ride?! I wanna drive!

Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
alienviking
Posts: 10707
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by alienviking »

I don't. I really do not like to drive other people's cars.. scares me that I will damage it. So I'll happily settle for a ride.
User avatar
stealthee
Posts: 5064
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:06 am
Location: SWPA
Contact:

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by stealthee »

[quote=""alienviking""]I don't. I really do not like to drive other people's cars.. scares me that I will damage it. So I'll happily settle for a ride.[/quote]

That's kinda always been my feeling too. There have been times people insisted and I ended up driving, but I'd have been just as happy in the passenger seat.

One of the most fun rides I ever had was in the passenger seat of a intake/exhaust 03 Cobra. He had me pegged into the leather of the passenger seat. I never would have beat on it the way the owner did, so it was definitely more enjoyable as a passenger.
Image
User avatar
mjannusch
Posts: 4540
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 8:00 pm
Location: Hudson, WI

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by mjannusch »

Pick it up this weekend, and then pick me up at the airport and give me a ride to Overland Park on Monday. :)
-Matt
'21 Corvette Stingray HTC Z51
'95 3000GT Spyder VR4 (11.838@117.56)
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by Jeff V. »

I don't think the Benz is going to happen. But I'd certainly be up for dinner and/or drinks while you're in town :)
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
Duck Vader
Posts: 18819
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by Duck Vader »

[quote=""Jeff V.""]I don't think the Benz is going to happen. [/quote]

Party pooper...
User avatar
vr4
Posts: 14538
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:32 am
Location: WA
Contact:

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by vr4 »

This is the second one you've posted about. You know you want it.

Dump the Audi while it still runs
DOGE
User avatar
mjannusch
Posts: 4540
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 8:00 pm
Location: Hudson, WI

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by mjannusch »

[quote=""Jeff V.""]I don't think the Benz is going to happen. But I'd certainly be up for dinner and/or drinks while you're in town :) [/quote]
I'm in town for work training with the rest of my team, so I'm guessing that dinners would likely be with them. If you'd be interested in dropping by the hotel bar for some drinks, I'll pick up the tab! I'll be in town Monday and Tuesday night. Shoot me a text either day if you are interested - 612-227-9750.
-Matt
'21 Corvette Stingray HTC Z51
'95 3000GT Spyder VR4 (11.838@117.56)
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26787
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: 2005 SL65 AMG. So much want.

Post by DCIV »

So what made you decide not to?

Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
Post Reply