Actually, let's start over....
Moderator: Monochrome
Re: Time to finish this ridiculousness
[quote=""Duck Vader""]Any reason to avoid a 2001 hoe?[/quote]
Well I mean depending on production date she might be underage but... I'm not here to judge
Well I mean depending on production date she might be underage but... I'm not here to judge
DOGE
- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18822
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: Time to finish this ridiculousness
[quote=""vr4""]Well I mean depending on production date she might be underage but... I'm not here to judge[/quote]
Any reason to seriously avoid one with 150k on it? I know the Silverados from that time are hit or miss, but wasn't sure about the Tahoe. Might go take this for a test drive this weekend.
Any reason to seriously avoid one with 150k on it? I know the Silverados from that time are hit or miss, but wasn't sure about the Tahoe. Might go take this for a test drive this weekend.
Re: Time to finish this ridiculousness
[quote=""Duck Vader""]Any reason to seriously avoid one with 150k on it? I know the Silverados from that time are hit or miss, but wasn't sure about the Tahoe. Might go take this for a test drive this weekend.[/quote]
Nah. Check fluids, check for leaks, etc. The usual used car stuff.
You'll have the usual suspects. Encoder motors, switches, hvac actuators, and definitely clusters but overall they're typically good trucks.
Nah. Check fluids, check for leaks, etc. The usual used car stuff.
You'll have the usual suspects. Encoder motors, switches, hvac actuators, and definitely clusters but overall they're typically good trucks.
DOGE
- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18822
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: Time to finish this ridiculousness
[quote=""vr4""]Nah. Check fluids, check for leaks, etc. The usual used car stuff.
You'll have the usual suspects. Encoder motors, switches, hvac actuators, and definitely clusters but overall they're typically good trucks.[/quote]
Encoder motor - that is what switches the transfer case into different modes - right? Would it affect normal operation in 2wd if goes out?
Switches - that is common in almost anything old - but I assume you mean things like window/door switches, 4wd button switches, etc?
HVAC - that the blend door issue that everything seems to have from back then?
Clusters - meh - easy and cheap fix/swap on those.
But no other overall glaring issues to avoid?
Might just have to go test drive it this weekend.
You'll have the usual suspects. Encoder motors, switches, hvac actuators, and definitely clusters but overall they're typically good trucks.[/quote]
Encoder motor - that is what switches the transfer case into different modes - right? Would it affect normal operation in 2wd if goes out?
Switches - that is common in almost anything old - but I assume you mean things like window/door switches, 4wd button switches, etc?
HVAC - that the blend door issue that everything seems to have from back then?
Clusters - meh - easy and cheap fix/swap on those.
But no other overall glaring issues to avoid?
Might just have to go test drive it this weekend.
Re: Time to finish this ridiculousness
Yep
Yep
Yep
Yep
I could too into other issues they have but those are outliers and really can't be considered something to watch for or you'll never buy anything
Yep
Yep
Yep
I could too into other issues they have but those are outliers and really can't be considered something to watch for or you'll never buy anything
DOGE
Re: Time to finish this ridiculousness
Jeep is making a truck next year: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a2 ... e-numbers/
All gave some, some gave all.
America is not at war, the US military is. America is at the mall.
America is not at war, the US military is. America is at the mall.
Re: Time to finish this ridiculousness
[quote=""vr4""]"Our favorite"
Opinions are like assholes[/quote]
They didn't mention "Our favorite", they proved it in their testing.
1. Ram 1500
Ram's new-for-2019 1500 has proved itself in our latest pickup-truck comparison test against its segment rivals from GM and Ford. In winning that three-truck showdown, the Ram leapfrogs 2018's full-size 10Best Trucks champs, the F-150 and F-150 Raptor, to become our favorite. Efficiency takes a front seat, with automatic stop/start, active aerodynamics, and a 48-volt hybrid powertrain option. Another class exclusiveair suspensionsmooths out the ride, and the truck is outstanding to drive. Two cab stylesquad and crewjoin three engine choices that top out at 10,620 pounds of towing capability. Several carryover 2018 trims, badged Classic, help fill in the gaps as the 2019 trucks enter production.
You dont have to like the Ram, thats fine, but its far from being garbage, or the bottom of the pack.
Opinions are like assholes[/quote]
They didn't mention "Our favorite", they proved it in their testing.
1. Ram 1500
Ram's new-for-2019 1500 has proved itself in our latest pickup-truck comparison test against its segment rivals from GM and Ford. In winning that three-truck showdown, the Ram leapfrogs 2018's full-size 10Best Trucks champs, the F-150 and F-150 Raptor, to become our favorite. Efficiency takes a front seat, with automatic stop/start, active aerodynamics, and a 48-volt hybrid powertrain option. Another class exclusiveair suspensionsmooths out the ride, and the truck is outstanding to drive. Two cab stylesquad and crewjoin three engine choices that top out at 10,620 pounds of towing capability. Several carryover 2018 trims, badged Classic, help fill in the gaps as the 2019 trucks enter production.
You dont have to like the Ram, thats fine, but its far from being garbage, or the bottom of the pack.

Re: Time to finish this ridiculousness
Ram's new-for-2019 1500 has proved itself in our latest pickup-truck comparison test against its segment rivals from GM and Ford. In winning that three-truck showdown, the Ram leapfrogs 2018's full-size 10Best Trucks champs, the F-150 and F-150 Raptor, to become our favorite. Efficiency takes a front seat, with automatic stop/start, active aerodynamics, and a 48-volt hybrid powertrain option. Another class exclusiveair suspensionsmooths out the ride, and the truck is outstanding to drive. Two cab stylesquad and crewjoin three engine choices that top out at 10,620 pounds of towing capability. Several carryover 2018 trims, badged Classic, help fill in the gaps as the 2019 trucks enter production.
I'm sorry you believe that but it's been this way for the last 30 years. The newest model always wins. The last 25 years of shitty trucks (and 40 years of shitty products overall) doesn't get erased because they have the new hotness on the market. Ford didn't become the best selling trucks by accident. They really are better built.
Ball joints every 30k? Not in a Ford.
Dodge hasn't proven itself. The only thing they had was Cummins and even then they were overrated. Kdp?
Hemi breaks valve springs on the regular. Also shits the bottom end out if you sneeze while driving.
I'm sorry you believe that but it's been this way for the last 30 years. The newest model always wins. The last 25 years of shitty trucks (and 40 years of shitty products overall) doesn't get erased because they have the new hotness on the market. Ford didn't become the best selling trucks by accident. They really are better built.
Ball joints every 30k? Not in a Ford.
Dodge hasn't proven itself. The only thing they had was Cummins and even then they were overrated. Kdp?
Hemi breaks valve springs on the regular. Also shits the bottom end out if you sneeze while driving.
Last edited by vr4 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DOGE
Re: Time to finish this ridiculousness
Oh, well if it is PROVEN already then I guess this year everybody will be buying Dodge trucks. lol.
For some reason, I'm just not convinced.
For some reason, I'm just not convinced.
-Matt
'21 Corvette Stingray HTC Z51
'95 3000GT Spyder VR4 (11.838@117.56)
'21 Corvette Stingray HTC Z51
'95 3000GT Spyder VR4 (11.838@117.56)
Re: Time to finish this ridiculousness
You know what they say about opinions Steve ...?
I get it. You dont like Dodges. We all dont like something and we can cite links to back up our claims. Im not saying all Chrysler products have been great the past 40 years either because they have their fair share of turds, but they did get some things right along the way. The newer rams being one of them. Just like Chevy and ford have their heroes and failures.
Again I can sit here and poke holes at shitty Chevy IFS, or Fords constant PowerJoke engines as well as a slew of other issues but that wasnt the point of my comment earlier.
As someone who has regularly driven several of these newer trucks and for several miles I gave a suggestion as to what I would recommend looking into. I think that should have some merit.
I get it. You dont like Dodges. We all dont like something and we can cite links to back up our claims. Im not saying all Chrysler products have been great the past 40 years either because they have their fair share of turds, but they did get some things right along the way. The newer rams being one of them. Just like Chevy and ford have their heroes and failures.
Again I can sit here and poke holes at shitty Chevy IFS, or Fords constant PowerJoke engines as well as a slew of other issues but that wasnt the point of my comment earlier.
As someone who has regularly driven several of these newer trucks and for several miles I gave a suggestion as to what I would recommend looking into. I think that should have some merit.

- aaronatstate
- Posts: 9890
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:52 pm
- Location: Arkansas
Re: Time to finish this ridiculousness
[quote=""vr4""]I'm sorry you believe that but it's been this way for the last 30 years. The newest model always wins. The last 25 years of shitty trucks (and 40 years of shitty products overall) doesn't get erased because they have the new hotness on the market. Ford didn't become the best selling trucks by accident. They really are better built.[/quote]
How about early model EcoBoost shitting the bed because their timing chain tensioners mess up.
Or the roof rail cover randomly coming undone on our Explorer.
Or my proximity keyless not working sometimes on my RS.
How about early model EcoBoost shitting the bed because their timing chain tensioners mess up.
Or the roof rail cover randomly coming undone on our Explorer.
Or my proximity keyless not working sometimes on my RS.

Chr15t0ph3r85: YES
Chr15t0ph3r85: GOOO STATE
Re: Time to finish this ridiculousness
Dodges get a bad rep, a fireman got one brand new 1500 2 wheel drive v6. Now has 120k miles on it. One coil has gone bad. Thats it. Oil changes and air filter would be his only maintenance.
Coop
Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18822
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: Time to finish this ridiculousness
Didn't have any issues with my Dodge, other than the ABS went out and I wrecked.
- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18822
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: Time to finish this ridiculousness
They won't let me take that Tahoe on an hour long test drive. Makes me think there is something probably wrong with it they are trying to hide.
- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18822
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: Time to finish this ridiculousness
Found another one, a 2002, with 50k less miles, and they are willing to let me take it for the entire day to test drive. If they still have it after I get rid of this flu thing I will take it for a nice long test drive. Only want $1000 more for it too.
- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18822
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: Time to finish this ridiculousness
The other one is also a local 1 owner. So hoping it is still around when I get better. Or at least good enough to make the drive to go see it.
- alienviking
- Posts: 10707
- Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:41 pm
- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18822
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: Time to finish this ridiculousness
They posted up a bunch new pics of the Tahoe I want to go see. Not a huge fan of the color, but lower mileage and looks in great shape from the pics.
Biggest qualm of course is the horrendous MPG of them. Looking at about $120 more a month to run it vs the Volt.
But I don't plan on keeping the Volt much longer anyway, even if I did fit well. Not going to find a large enough vehicle that fits me well that can be had for cheap that gets good MPG.
The Tahoe I want to run to 200k if I can.
Biggest qualm of course is the horrendous MPG of them. Looking at about $120 more a month to run it vs the Volt.
But I don't plan on keeping the Volt much longer anyway, even if I did fit well. Not going to find a large enough vehicle that fits me well that can be had for cheap that gets good MPG.
The Tahoe I want to run to 200k if I can.
Re: Time to finish this ridiculousness
Have you sat in a newer volt? Maybe they get the gas you want and mileage you want?
Also another option for big people are big cars. Caddys, Mercedes, Lincoln town cars....I know a lot of BIG people feel right at home in those and it would get better mpg than a hoe.
Coop
Also another option for big people are big cars. Caddys, Mercedes, Lincoln town cars....I know a lot of BIG people feel right at home in those and it would get better mpg than a hoe.
Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18822
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: Time to finish this ridiculousness
Not the for the $ I want to spend. Lincoln/Ford are not comfortable for me on long drives.
Not getting another high MPG vehicles. Needs to be a good all arounder. Haul stuff, fit me, wife, and dogs, good for long road trips, 4WD/AWD, easy/cheap to work on, capable of towing, etc.
GM trucks are still an option, but for the price I can get a much nicer and lower mileage tahoe.
Not going to find a good mpg vehicle that fits all my needs.
Not getting another high MPG vehicles. Needs to be a good all arounder. Haul stuff, fit me, wife, and dogs, good for long road trips, 4WD/AWD, easy/cheap to work on, capable of towing, etc.
GM trucks are still an option, but for the price I can get a much nicer and lower mileage tahoe.
Not going to find a good mpg vehicle that fits all my needs.