Jeep Stuff
Moderator: Monochrome
- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18820
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: Jeep Stuff
Ya. Going to probably buy it this weekend.
Re: Jeep Stuff
I mean....you really wanna spent money on something you might want to get rid of?
Coop
Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
[/quote]
DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points
- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18820
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: Jeep Stuff
Ended up buying this one instead:
https://smile.amazon.com/Smittybilt-768 ... +bumper+xj
It might be more expensive, but after a lot of digging the eag bumpers have lots of issues. The "powdercoating" flakes really easily and rust is a major problem. They also don't handle hitting things well.
So the one I got is a lot better and comes with a 5 year warranty.
https://smile.amazon.com/Smittybilt-768 ... +bumper+xj
It might be more expensive, but after a lot of digging the eag bumpers have lots of issues. The "powdercoating" flakes really easily and rust is a major problem. They also don't handle hitting things well.
So the one I got is a lot better and comes with a 5 year warranty.
- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18820
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: Jeep Stuff
[quote=""DCIV""]I mean....you really wanna spent money on something you might want to get rid of?
Coop[/quote]
Mrs and I spoke about this last night.
Going to keep it at least 2 more years to get her to/from school. She agreed to suck it up and drive it. We have had it 11 years almost now so we know the vehicle. We know how it drives, what is wrong with it, how to fix it, etc. Getting something else is always a guess.
Coop[/quote]
Mrs and I spoke about this last night.
Going to keep it at least 2 more years to get her to/from school. She agreed to suck it up and drive it. We have had it 11 years almost now so we know the vehicle. We know how it drives, what is wrong with it, how to fix it, etc. Getting something else is always a guess.
- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18820
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: Jeep Stuff
End up ordering a couple of things. Bumper, hitch, winch cover, wiper blades, license plate bracket, d-rings, and a windshield cover.
Re: Jeep Stuff
Man I would have picked the EAG. Paint comes off of them all over time. Simple plastidip job would cover any issues.

- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18820
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: Jeep Stuff
[quote=""ChargerX3""]Man I would have picked the EAG. Paint comes off of them all over time. Simple plastidip job would cover any issues.[/quote]
$80 more for a warranty and imho a better bumper for our needs/wants. Worth it. Also really not a fan of the prerunner bar.
$80 more for a warranty and imho a better bumper for our needs/wants. Worth it. Also really not a fan of the prerunner bar.
Re: Jeep Stuff
Unbolt it if you dont like it. I wouldnt buy the warranty, just weld if it needed it.

- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18820
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: Jeep Stuff
Warranty is part of the price. Plus I've been using smittybilt for years. Customer service is also good. All that is worth $80
- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18820
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: Jeep Stuff
Jeep is running good. Need to trim the fenders a bit. Went with a larger tire. 265x75x16. About 31.5". I'll do the trimming after I put the bumper on.
- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18820
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: Jeep Stuff
Got all the parts. Also finally sold the power/squat rack yesterday. So next step is to get the garage reorganized then pull the jeep in and install.
Only thing I am missing is the gauges I want to swap out. Ended up not going to picknpull since it was raining. Might go this coming weekend depending on how things look.
Also going to swap back in the old factory radio for the time being. It doesn't work 1/2 the time, but the new one is causing a parasitic drain on the battery. Need to see where that is coming from - going to guess bad wiring - but in the mean time if I put the old one back in we might be able to listen to music again. If I remember right it completely stopped working though and that is why we swapped it out. Won't know until I put it back in though.
So next steps are:
radio swap
trim fenders
hitch install
bumper install
winch install
new wiper blades
I think that is it for right now.
Future project will be gauge swap, possible roof rack, bigger/better brakes, and perhaps one of those seat extension things so I can put the seat back further when I drive it.
Only thing I am missing is the gauges I want to swap out. Ended up not going to picknpull since it was raining. Might go this coming weekend depending on how things look.
Also going to swap back in the old factory radio for the time being. It doesn't work 1/2 the time, but the new one is causing a parasitic drain on the battery. Need to see where that is coming from - going to guess bad wiring - but in the mean time if I put the old one back in we might be able to listen to music again. If I remember right it completely stopped working though and that is why we swapped it out. Won't know until I put it back in though.
So next steps are:
radio swap
trim fenders
hitch install
bumper install
winch install
new wiper blades
I think that is it for right now.
Future project will be gauge swap, possible roof rack, bigger/better brakes, and perhaps one of those seat extension things so I can put the seat back further when I drive it.
- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18820
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: Jeep Stuff
Looks like not much I can do about brakes. Just going to have to take a look and perhaps upgrade the pads.
Re: Jeep Stuff
I upgraded to Napa's highest level metallic pads on mine and got some slotted rotors. Stops much better now.

- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18820
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: Jeep Stuff
[quote=""ChargerX3""]I upgraded to Napa's highest level metallic pads on mine and got some slotted rotors. Stops much better now.[/quote]
Ya. Not much can be done other than that. I could swap out the rear drums for disc brakes, but not sure if worth it.
Probably going to swap out the front rotors and pads even if in good shape. Had to do an "emergency" stop on the freeway on the way home Saturday and didn't like the way it stopped. I didn't rear-end anyone or have to do avoidance maneuvers, but if someone had cut me off and then came to a hard stop I might have been screwed. I like to keep space in front of me when driving but people out here use that as an excuse to get in front of you.
Ya. Not much can be done other than that. I could swap out the rear drums for disc brakes, but not sure if worth it.
Probably going to swap out the front rotors and pads even if in good shape. Had to do an "emergency" stop on the freeway on the way home Saturday and didn't like the way it stopped. I didn't rear-end anyone or have to do avoidance maneuvers, but if someone had cut me off and then came to a hard stop I might have been screwed. I like to keep space in front of me when driving but people out here use that as an excuse to get in front of you.
Re: Jeep Stuff
Yea, i think the guy before me put the low dust ceramics on and they were ok for smaller tires, but 31's and some age really did them in.

- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18820
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: Jeep Stuff
Debating on doing these. I know they are a big overkill and high $, but they are just about the best you can buy when it comes to jeeps. Never seen a bad review and everyone says they are 100% worth it.
https://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Front ... 067022.htm
https://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Front ... 067022.htm
- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18820
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: Jeep Stuff
Can get the rotors from that kit cheap on amazon - $26/each.
The pads is more what I am looking at.
The pads is more what I am looking at.
- Duck Vader
- Posts: 18820
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am
Re: Jeep Stuff
Ordered some rotors off amazon and the brake pads from that set.
Went out and looked a the rotors and pads on the jeep right now. Ya. Time to replace both.
Went out and looked a the rotors and pads on the jeep right now. Ya. Time to replace both.