Now it is my turn?

If you're looking for a place to direct your vehicular thoughts, you've found it.

Moderator: Monochrome

Post Reply
User avatar
Duck Vader
Posts: 18820
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am

Re: Now it is my turn?

Post by Duck Vader »

This is just me thinking out loud at the moment and getting stuff written down again.

Was thinking about all of this this morning.

Only way I would get a CR-V or something similar is by leasing it. Don't want to add too much more debt. I would maybe go up to $20k, but no way I want $30k in debt right now. Too much going on.

So I started to think about what Steve said and equity.

If I don't want to add more overall debt and I would buy something it would need to be under $13k. That would keep my total debt about the same.

That got me thinking. The issue I have with the Volt and newer stuff is how fucking complicated most of it is. I have no problem being able to fix older stuff, but this new crap with all the electrics, batteries, hybrid systems, etc are things I just don't want to deal with if they break. Plus they are more expensive to fix. Sure they might be reliable for many years, but is that a gamble worth taking?

That got me thinking about what I could get for my money that I WOULD feel comfortable working on if need be.

At $13k or less my total debt won't change much. At $20k or less my monthly payment wouldn't change much.

One thing I know that if I would get I would keep longer term and feel comfortable working on if need be, and is cheap to fix if something does go wrong, are trucks. I have been missing having one as well.

As much as I want an Avalanche, for $13k I am looking at a 10+ year old one with probably around 150k miles on it. $20k gets me a 7 year old one with 100k on it. Both of those are a bit ridiculous.

So for right now I am going to do some research and see what, if any, good full-size trucks I might be able to get for those two numbers. Just to expand my options as I think more about this.

Will also depends on what kind of fuel economy they get however. At $13k, with what those payments would be, add in cost of fuel for typical truck (15 mpg) and you are at about $50 more a month than I pay now to own/run the Volt - but I could pay it off a lot quicker since I was going to pay off the Volt hopefully this year or by early next. At $20k it is about $125 more a month than I pay to run the Volt.


The only other thing I am thinking about right now is just keeping the Volt. Hope it stays reliable, and try to pay it off this year.

Biggest issue with that is money. Not sure what is going to happen job wise for me. Might be taking a pay cut soon if I get out of my current job. If that happens, easier to unload something I own vs something I am leasing.
User avatar
alienviking
Posts: 10707
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Now it is my turn?

Post by alienviking »

To me, I think the main part to consider in that is the reliability factor. Sure you can fix it easier, but there will also be more to fix. See your Jeep (although probably not to the same extent as that one). I have always believed that having a reliable DD is important (granted you work from home so no commute plays into it). You do drive quite a bit to and from the gym etc.

The no commute part is a big factor though. But yeah.. definitely make sure you really factor in the reliability and downtime possibility.
User avatar
Duck Vader
Posts: 18820
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am

Re: Now it is my turn?

Post by Duck Vader »

[quote=""alienviking""]To me, I think the main part to consider in that is the reliability factor. Sure you can fix it easier, but there will also be more to fix. See your Jeep (although probably not to the same extent as that one). I have always believed that having a reliable DD is important (granted you work from home so no commute plays into it). You do drive quite a bit to and from the gym etc.

The no commute part is a big factor though. But yeah.. definitely make sure you really factor in the reliability and downtime possibility.[/quote]

That is one thing I keep thinking about. The Volt SHOULD be reliable for well over 100k miles and many more years. But when something does go wrong, with how complex these things kind of are, it is going to be expensive to fix. With all the cooling system stuff, electronics, etc. Battery I am sure will be fine. Hell, even the ICE should be fine as it is barely used. It is the other stuff that makes me nervous. IF I break down and out of warranty there is a lot of things on there I would not want to fuck with. The Jeep on the other hand I can fix anything on it. Just comes down to if I want to do it and my time involved.

Trying to find something reliable and cheap/easy to repair on the rare occasion it does go down, yet will also fit into our needs/lifestyle.
User avatar
Duck Vader
Posts: 18820
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am

Re: Now it is my turn?

Post by Duck Vader »

I know I said it before, but the more I think about it again, I don't want to lease right now.

Too many unknowns this coming year.

I can sell a car easier than get out of a lease.

So the next question is do I keep the Volt, or buy something else that might be a better all around vehicle for awhile?

I also wonder if I could convince the wife to go down to two vehicles. Sell the Volt - could probably get what I owe - just a pain since a lien on it - and buy out the Kia. Just got a buyout quote for the Kia. Based on 5% apr and 60 months (which we would probably get a better rate since both have 800+ credit scores) the payment would be the same as the lease payment and she really likes it. Talks about buying it anyway.

Then use the money saved from selling the Volt - about $475 a month (that includes saving from payments, fuel, electric, insurance, etc), and use that for fuel/savings build up in case something else breaks and daily the XJ. Get the SYE, put seat extenders in, and upgrade the sound system. Fuel will cost about $175-$200 a month or so. Other than that, we just did a big overhaul so much of it should be good. New tires, timing chain, gaskets, etc. So just suck it up and deal with driving it.

Do that until we know what is going on more with work/school/home stuff. Then decide on getting something new.

That way if shit hits the fan we can sell the Kia and not have the Volt to worry about. Plus get rid of some debt.

Thoughts on that?
Last edited by Duck Vader on Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Duck Vader
Posts: 18820
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am

Re: Now it is my turn?

Post by Duck Vader »

Just spend the last two hours talking to my wife about all this.

Her thoughts.

Either keep the Volt, or sell it and daily the Jeep. Don't get another 3rd vehicle right now.

Wants me to go see what I could get for the volt by trading it in. Told me to take it to a couple different places. Then if we can get enough, trade it in/sell it to the dealer/carmax and just daily the Jeep.

If we can't get enough, look at refinancing it perhaps to get a lower monthly payment as back up. Keep paying what we pay now, or more, but in case we run into trouble at least we would have a lower payment. Also, if we refinance through a local credit union it would be easier to sell private party. Right now it is with GM financial.

Then decide if keeping or selling private party.

She also wants to make sure I would be OK daily driving the Jeep for awhile since I really do enjoy the Volt. Handles and rides so much better. Hoping new shocks will help the Jeep a bit in that department.

If for sure selling the Volt, then get the SYE and upgrade the sound system in the Jeep along with new seat brackets.

Thoughts on that?
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15949
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Now it is my turn?

Post by Chris GTO TT »

You'll probably run into the same problem I had when I looked at refinancing the Outback. Our interest rate is so low any refinancing will actually cost us more money.
User avatar
Duck Vader
Posts: 18820
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am

Re: Now it is my turn?

Post by Duck Vader »

Posted about this in shout but figured I would make some posts here too.

As I mentioned in the Volt thread I am tired of being cramped in it. It is not too bad, but could really use something more comfortable and easier to get in/out of. With all the Jeep issues lately we are seriously considering selling it now too. Having trouble trusting it.

Out of curiosity I did some calculations this morning. Jeep insurance, jeep fuel, volt insurance, volt payment, volt electric, volt fuel = a monthly expense of about $575. That does not include maintenance items such as oil and other things. If I would sell both I would like a replacement to cost that or less including payments, fuel, and insurance. If insurance cost the same as the volt, and I get only 15 mpg (assuming full size truck/suv), new payment would need to be at $300 or less a month.

If do 60 month at 4 percent that is $16k or less or bump that to $19k at 72, but I don't like doing a 72 month loan.

Not 100% sure what I would get for a replacement at that price if getting rid of both.

Some requirements would be 4WD or AWD - for snowy mountain and beach driving and large interior space for my big ass to fit comfortably along with room for road trips, camping, and the dogs.

Right now the top contenders would be a 2009+ Chevy Avalanche if I go pick-up route and a 2011+ Explorer or 2009+ Tahoe if I go SUV route. Prefer to stay domestic as they tend to be on the roomier side. Can get all three for around $16k-$20k depending on mileage (about 100k - on noes - won't be reliable with that many miles - :runaway: ).

Anything else I should be looking at?
User avatar
Duck Vader
Posts: 18820
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am

Re: Now it is my turn?

Post by Duck Vader »

Or perhaps I should be look at something cheaper/older?

Just not sure how old I really want to go. I like a lot of the creature comforts of modern vehicles.
User avatar
Jeff V.
Posts: 25425
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Re: Now it is my turn?

Post by Jeff V. »

I'll tell you the same thing I told Coop.

Just get the damn Avalanche :lol:
I think about all the things we could have done, all the miracles we could have achieved, if we were all just a little bit better than it turns out we are.
--Naomi Nagata
User avatar
Duck Vader
Posts: 18820
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am

Re: Now it is my turn?

Post by Duck Vader »

If I would break down and just get an avalanche, I wonder what I should get. I know I want the LTZ trim, but cost vs mileage is where I am looking.

$18-20k will get me 80-100k on it. - such as this one - https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd ... 09389.html - which I REALLY WANT. But not sure if I should go for it now, or wait.

Been watching it since it was over $20k. They keep lowering the price.
User avatar
Duck Vader
Posts: 18820
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am

Re: Now it is my turn?

Post by Duck Vader »

Only thing I don't like about the Avi I posted is the rear axle. Only a 3.08 = the suck if need to tow. Better MPG, but towing anything over 4k will be rough.
User avatar
alienviking
Posts: 10707
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Now it is my turn?

Post by alienviking »

How often do you tow anything over 4K?
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26790
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Now it is my turn?

Post by DCIV »

[quote=""Jeff V.""]I'll tell you the same thing I told Coop.

Just get the damn Avalanche :lol: [/quote]

He did.


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
Duck Vader
Posts: 18820
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am

Re: Now it is my turn?

Post by Duck Vader »

[quote=""alienviking""]How often do you tow anything over 4K?[/quote]

Won't tow much if anything anytime soon. Will load the bed occasionally with heavy stuff, but not too heavy too often.

Actually more of a concern is on-ramp acceleration, passing, and going up the mountains with the 3.08. Reading online they say the 3.08 causes the 6 speed to search a lot and feels very sluggish. They recommend the 3.42 or if putting on a lift and bigger tires to look at 4.10 or 4.56. Problem is that will affect fuel economy.

If I get an Avi, eventually I know a lift and tires will be involved, and that will mean re-gearing among other things. But that will be down the line.

More concerned about what I said above - on-ramp acceleration, passing, and hill climbing.
User avatar
Duck Vader
Posts: 18820
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am

Re: Now it is my turn?

Post by Duck Vader »

Biggest issue I honestly have right now is the trade in value on the Volt. Been watching it. KBB value recently took a $1000 hit on trade in value keeping everything the same. That puts what I owe vs trade in value to a point that makes getting something that costs $18k kind of pointless. By the time I roll in what is left over into say that Avi, then I am going to end up paying more per month than I do now.
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15949
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Now it is my turn?

Post by Chris GTO TT »

Wow that's a terrible axle ratio for anything other than an empty truck.
User avatar
Duck Vader
Posts: 18820
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am

Re: Now it is my turn?

Post by Duck Vader »

[quote=""Chris GTO TT""]Wow that's a terrible axle ratio for anything other than an empty truck.[/quote]

Right?

Looks to be about $1000 to do a swap.
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15949
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Now it is my turn?

Post by Chris GTO TT »

If it's 4x4 you have to do the front too
User avatar
Duck Vader
Posts: 18820
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:57 am

Re: Now it is my turn?

Post by Duck Vader »

Yep. I am seeing online it is about $500 per axle.
User avatar
Chris GTO TT
Posts: 15949
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Now it is my turn?

Post by Chris GTO TT »

Is that cost installed?
Post Reply