Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
Moderator: Monochrome
Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
Kate and I might be moving to a new house, soon.
My Stealth currently has no engine/transmission/axles/etc etc..the front end is an empty shell.
I hate the idea of wasting time putting it all back together just so it can be towed to the new house, just to be taken apart again.
So..are there any viable options for temporary rollers on the front frame so it can be flat-bedded over to the new place?
Will flat-bed towing companies even tow a car with no front wheels?
My Stealth currently has no engine/transmission/axles/etc etc..the front end is an empty shell.
I hate the idea of wasting time putting it all back together just so it can be towed to the new house, just to be taken apart again.
So..are there any viable options for temporary rollers on the front frame so it can be flat-bedded over to the new place?
Will flat-bed towing companies even tow a car with no front wheels?
-
I am Me N U r U
- Posts: 6957
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:36 pm
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
why not just get a uhal tow dolly??
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
[quote=""Zentelis""]Kate and I might be moving to a new house, soon.
My Stealth currently has no engine/transmission/axles/etc etc..the front end is an empty shell.
I hate the idea of wasting time putting it all back together just so it can be towed to the new house, just to be taken apart again.
So..are there any viable options for temporary rollers on the front frame so it can be flat-bedded over to the new place?
Will flat-bed towing companies even tow a car with no front wheels?[/quote]
Is the suspension on the front at all? I have a trailor if you want to engineer something up and arent going far.
My Stealth currently has no engine/transmission/axles/etc etc..the front end is an empty shell.
I hate the idea of wasting time putting it all back together just so it can be towed to the new house, just to be taken apart again.
So..are there any viable options for temporary rollers on the front frame so it can be flat-bedded over to the new place?
Will flat-bed towing companies even tow a car with no front wheels?[/quote]
Is the suspension on the front at all? I have a trailor if you want to engineer something up and arent going far.

Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
[quote=""I am Me N U r U""]why not just get a uhal tow dolly??[/quote]
The car is in the garage front-first. I have no way of getting it out of the garage _at all_ without some kind of rollers
(bad planning on my part, i know, but at the time, i had no idea i would put this project on hold for this long)

The car is in the garage front-first. I have no way of getting it out of the garage _at all_ without some kind of rollers
Nope...the brakes are really just hanging. And, like i told Em, it's in the garage the wrong wayIs the suspension on the front at all? I have a trailor if you want to engineer something up and arent going far.
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
Do you have the strut, control arm, hub, wheels to put on it?
It wouldnt take too terribly long and it would make things 1000 times easier to move.
It wouldnt take too terribly long and it would make things 1000 times easier to move.

Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
yeah, i've got all the parts, but i figured it wouldn't be possible to roll it on it's own wheels without the axles?
Would it be possible to roll it on it's own wheels without the engine/transmission?
<-car noob
Would it be possible to roll it on it's own wheels without the engine/transmission?
<-car noob
-
I am Me N U r U
- Posts: 6957
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:36 pm
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
just jack up the front, and pull it outside. I'm sure someone with a tow dolly can help you finagle the car around and make it work.
- EvilNCarnate
- Posts: 7844
- Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:36 pm
- Location: Springfield MO
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
As long as the hubs are there and bolted up you are good to slap some wheels on it and roll it. Just dont slip up like you did with the mopar. I remember your thread about moving it and it getting away from you.
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
Putting wheels back on is easiest way I promise nothing else is easier/cheaper/safer if the goal is to transport it. Will roll fine with no axles/engine/etc.
(I say this because I'd probably attempt to drag car out with front on garage jack, rig something up to tow on trailer, break something/take forever in process, etc...)
I had to buy 4 spare tires just to move my empty car to the backyard!
(I say this because I'd probably attempt to drag car out with front on garage jack, rig something up to tow on trailer, break something/take forever in process, etc...)
I had to buy 4 spare tires just to move my empty car to the backyard!
Last edited by TajMan on Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-'79 Yamaha XS11 special, custom work in progress
-'93 Stealthubishi

-'93 Stealthubishi

Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
I'd just put the control arms and hub back on and roll it.
:d err:
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
[quote=""TajMan""]
(I say this because I'd probably attempt to drag car out with front on garage jack, rig something up to tow on trailer, break something/take forever in [/quote]
I would do the same thing. I was thinking a fridge dolly under the front tho.
Zent, if you really do want some help though, let me know, Id be glad to help.
(I say this because I'd probably attempt to drag car out with front on garage jack, rig something up to tow on trailer, break something/take forever in [/quote]
I would do the same thing. I was thinking a fridge dolly under the front tho.
Zent, if you really do want some help though, let me know, Id be glad to help.

Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
As long as the steering rack is connected you won't have any issues just rolling it out on wheels.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions."
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions."
- Monochrome
- Founding Members

- Posts: 18264
- Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 pm
- Location: NE Maryland
- Contact:
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
[quote=""EvilNCarnate""]As long as the hubs are there and bolted up you are good to slap some wheels on it and roll it. Just dont slip up like you did with the mopar. I remember your thread about moving it and it getting away from you.[/quote]
[quote=""TajMan""]Putting wheels back on is easiest way I promise nothing else is easier/cheaper/safer if the goal is to transport it. Will roll fine with no axles/engine/etc.
(I say this because I'd probably attempt to drag car out with front on garage jack, rig something up to tow on trailer, break something/take forever in process, etc...)
I had to buy 4 spare tires just to move my empty car to the backyard![/quote]
You MUST put the axles back in the hub or else you'll be shopping for new wheel bearings. W/O the axle, too much weight is put on the bearing and it'll kill it (even if the vehicle doesn't move).
[quote=""TajMan""]Putting wheels back on is easiest way I promise nothing else is easier/cheaper/safer if the goal is to transport it. Will roll fine with no axles/engine/etc.
(I say this because I'd probably attempt to drag car out with front on garage jack, rig something up to tow on trailer, break something/take forever in process, etc...)
I had to buy 4 spare tires just to move my empty car to the backyard![/quote]
You MUST put the axles back in the hub or else you'll be shopping for new wheel bearings. W/O the axle, too much weight is put on the bearing and it'll kill it (even if the vehicle doesn't move).
2020 Miata Club - BBS package
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
^smart man, I remember something like that now that I hear it.
so with axles in and no tranny, you'll have to wire them up out of the way so they can rotate and not bind up.
so with axles in and no tranny, you'll have to wire them up out of the way so they can rotate and not bind up.
-'79 Yamaha XS11 special, custom work in progress
-'93 Stealthubishi

-'93 Stealthubishi

Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
[quote=""Monochrome""]You MUST put the axles back in the hub or else you'll be shopping for new wheel bearings. W/O the axle, too much weight is put on the bearing and it'll kill it (even if the vehicle doesn't move).[/quote]
what if i already need new wheel bearings?
what if i already need new wheel bearings?
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
If you're going to replace them(bearings) later before you ever really drive the car... then I guess it doesn't matter you can skip the axles to get the car rolling.
-'79 Yamaha XS11 special, custom work in progress
-'93 Stealthubishi

-'93 Stealthubishi

Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
Since someone already brought it up....
what IS the deal with the mopar?
what IS the deal with the mopar?
Game, Set, Match = Tennis
Set Match, Run = Arson
Set Match, Run = Arson
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
[quote=""OBXboost""]what IS the deal with the mopar?[/quote]
Need $$$ and Time.
$$$: Wheels/tires. Wiring. Fuel Lines. Transmission Mount. Exhaust.
Time: Wiring. Gas Tank restoration. Paint prep/body work/painting
Since Kate and I are buying a house soon, I won't pour money into any of the cars right now.
Need $$$ and Time.
$$$: Wheels/tires. Wiring. Fuel Lines. Transmission Mount. Exhaust.
Time: Wiring. Gas Tank restoration. Paint prep/body work/painting
- Monochrome
- Founding Members

- Posts: 18264
- Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 pm
- Location: NE Maryland
- Contact:
Re: Rolling a Stealth with no engine.
[quote=""Zentelis""]what if i already need new wheel bearings?[/quote]
There's a risk they can still fall appart if there's any brut force applied (say the car bouncing on the trailer for instance). When that happens, your wheel comes off.
There's a risk they can still fall appart if there's any brut force applied (say the car bouncing on the trailer for instance). When that happens, your wheel comes off.
2020 Miata Club - BBS package
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."