Who knows their alternators?

If you're looking for a place to direct your vehicular thoughts, you've found it.

Moderator: Monochrome

User avatar
vegasidol
Founding Members
Founding Members
Posts: 21751
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:52 am
Location: KCMO

Who knows their alternators?

Post by vegasidol »

My alt went out on my VR4 the other night. Sure enough, despite the 15* weather, my dad took went and took it out last night…cause he was ‘curious’.

Now he’s got it apart on his work bench at work and wants me to find out what you guys know about the diodes and the volt regulator.

Replaceable? Where can you get parts. BTW, he is an electrician, and despite the fact that I can get a used one for all of $3 from a local guy…he still want to know if he can rebuild it.

That’s my dad. :p
Image
Whenever you use forceful and overt verbal persuasion to try to convince others to see things your way, they're probably not listening to what you say, Instead they're looking for every error in you your logic and mistakes in your facts, all the while constructing counterarguments. Worse still, they don't merely believe you're wrong; they need you to be wrong in order to protect the status quo. And since the final judge exists in their own head, you lose every time. - The Influencer
Is the level of bullshit you have to go through to change things in a direction you want, less than than or equal than the level of current bullshit?
User avatar
EvilNCarnate
Posts: 7844
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:36 pm
Location: Springfield MO

Re: Who knows their alternators?

Post by EvilNCarnate »

Considering most of the ones you get from the auto parts places are remans the answer would be yes. Most auto parts places can typically source rebuild kits as well. I remember reading about rebuilding ours but I cant remember where...

And before I hit post I searched.....
http://www.stealth316.com/2-alt-rebuild.htm
JagdStealth
Posts: 11702
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:58 pm
Location: San Diego, TEXAFORNIA!

Re: Who knows their alternators?

Post by JagdStealth »

Brushes are one common thing to go out in alternators, they are worn out to the point where they don't make much contact anymore.

I've never taken apart an alternator on a car as new as the 3/S though, only older Chevy and Dodge...i would imagine they are similar.

Basically you would want to replace the brushes, voltage regulator, and the rectifier. These are the only easy, user replaceable parts. The numbers stamped on them usually dictate what you can use as replacement parts.

The bearings inside need to be solid and not worn out though, otherwise it'll just fail again real quick.

Sorry I can't give any specific info on the parts themselves, but you can probably find replacements online or at any electrical supply store...maybe even Radio Shack.
-Mike
Image
JagdStealth
Posts: 11702
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:58 pm
Location: San Diego, TEXAFORNIA!

Re: Who knows their alternators?

Post by JagdStealth »

looks like stealth316 has all you need!
-Mike
Image
User avatar
Zentelis
Posts: 7829
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:45 pm

Re: Who knows their alternators?

Post by Zentelis »

cool, thanks for the link!
Maybe I'll try rebuilding mine instead (both of 'em are crapped out)..i wonder if those parts are still available.
User avatar
vegasidol
Founding Members
Founding Members
Posts: 21751
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:52 am
Location: KCMO

Re: Who knows their alternators?

Post by vegasidol »

[quote=""EvilNCarnate""]Considering most of the ones you get from the auto parts places are remans the answer would be yes. Most auto parts places can typically source rebuild kits as well. I remember reading about rebuilding ours but I cant remember where...

And before I hit post I searched.....
http://www.stealth316.com/2-alt-rebuild.htm[/quote]

Righhhht...'search'. Right. I'm still a newb. :d oh: :whistles:

The brushes and bearings are fine, so he was trying to figure out what else wears/needs replacement/could be tested. I'll look into a current source for the regulator and rectifier.

Thanks again, Chris. ;)
User avatar
EvilNCarnate
Posts: 7844
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:36 pm
Location: Springfield MO

Re: Who knows their alternators?

Post by EvilNCarnate »

[quote=""vegasidol""]Righhhht...'search'. Right. I'm still a newb. :d oh: :whistles:

The brushes and bearings are fine, so he was trying to figure out what else wears/needs replacement/could be tested. I'll look into a current source for the regulator and rectifier.

Thanks again, Chris. ;) [/quote]

Welcome. I wasnt saying you should search by the way, just figured it would be quicker for me to find it.
User avatar
vr4
Posts: 14538
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:32 am
Location: WA
Contact:

Re: Who knows their alternators?

Post by vr4 »

buy the used 1 and let him mess with yours.
DOGE
User avatar
Mychal1216km
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:23 pm
Location: Byron Center, Michigan

Re: Who knows their alternators?

Post by Mychal1216km »

If you put it back together, a local auto parts store might be able to put it on a machine to tell whats wrong....that's what I did before I had mine rebuilt.
Keyten

Image
User avatar
Monochrome
Founding Members
Founding Members
Posts: 18264
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 pm
Location: NE Maryland
Contact:

Re: Who knows their alternators?

Post by Monochrome »

I've never had good luck with rebuilt alternators. Seems either they're never as powerful as factory, or the bearings on them wear-out prematurely...
2020 Miata Club - BBS package
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold :(
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold :(

"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
User avatar
vr4
Posts: 14538
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:32 am
Location: WA
Contact:

Re: Who knows their alternators?

Post by vr4 »

[quote=""Monochrome""]I've never had good luck with rebuilt alternators. Seems either they're never as powerful as factory, or the bearings on them wear-out prematurely...[/quote]


:stupid:

put 3 remans on my old s10. after the 3rd i went to the junkyard and never had to replace that 1 again.
DOGE
User avatar
vegasidol
Founding Members
Founding Members
Posts: 21751
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:52 am
Location: KCMO

Re: Who knows their alternators?

Post by vegasidol »

So the car is back together again...on the road.

Funny thing is...I knew I had two (or three) alts laying around already, but I thought they were NAs-90 amp models. But learned something new AFTER I acquired another TT alt. The base NAs are 90 ampers, and the SL/TT ones are 110amps. Imagine my surprise when I found that I already had 2 extra 110amp ones, and one 'mystery' (non-labeled) one already. :p

Good thing I got the newest alt for a case of Boulevard Beer. :lol:

Hope it holds... :crossesfingers:
GTO Assassin
Posts: 14275
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:35 pm

Re: Who knows their alternators?

Post by GTO Assassin »

I just ordered my new alt from Mitsu direct. I can't wait for boost. :D

Scooty
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26786
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Who knows their alternators?

Post by DCIV »

I am so glad I rebuilt my alt for 20 bucks, buying a new one from mitsu has got to cost some jack.


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
vegasidol
Founding Members
Founding Members
Posts: 21751
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:52 am
Location: KCMO

Re: Who knows their alternators?

Post by vegasidol »

[quote=""DCIV""]I am so glad I rebuilt my alt for 20 bucks, buying a new one from mitsu has got to cost some jack.


Coop[/quote]

What did you replace? I need a new rectifier (if I want to rebuild my old one) and I haven't priced parts yet.
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26786
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Who knows their alternators?

Post by DCIV »

Heck that was taking it to a local place that rebuilds them. I didnt replace anything.


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
vegasidol
Founding Members
Founding Members
Posts: 21751
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:52 am
Location: KCMO

Re: Who knows their alternators?

Post by vegasidol »

[quote=""DCIV""]Heck that was taking it to a local place that rebuilds them. I didnt replace anything.


Coop[/quote]

$20? Man...they must have just replaced brushes...
User avatar
DCIV
Posts: 26786
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:14 am
Location: TN

Re: Who knows their alternators?

Post by DCIV »

I hope not, he said he repaced somethign other then brushes. Could be though, with out opening it up myself and looking before and after i would never truely know.


Coop
[quote=""Melis""]The cop asked Coop "Are you really a firefighter?" Coop was like "yeah" then the cop said "ok your in charge" then the cop left :lol:
[/quote]

DCIV: first to 2,000,000 rep points :)
User avatar
vegasidol
Founding Members
Founding Members
Posts: 21751
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:52 am
Location: KCMO

Re: Who knows their alternators?

Post by vegasidol »

:sob:

It's down again. :sulk:

Alt didn't hold. Tested it at an auto store...a lot of good that did. :sigh:
But now it also seems as though the battery isn't holding a charge. Could a bad alt hurt a bad battery?
User avatar
Monochrome
Founding Members
Founding Members
Posts: 18264
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 pm
Location: NE Maryland
Contact:

Re: Who knows their alternators?

Post by Monochrome »

Yes. The alt keeps the battery charged.

Still got one if you need it. :)
2020 Miata Club - BBS package
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Duramax
2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - sold :(
Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/thread/5 ... g-pa-build
99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold :(

"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."
Post Reply